The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-17-2020, 03:45 PM

Default Shopping for a practice amp.

Currently torn between the Katana 50 MK2 and Mustang GT 40. My local music stores are closed so I’m just limited to YouTube videos. From the demos I’ve seen, it seems like the Katana has much better tone, maybe because of its 12” speaker. The GT40 has two smaller speakers so it sounds dull and boxy. But then I go into the comments and fans from both camps are arguing on about how the Mustang wasn’t set up properly, and how the software is much better. The katana guys praise its ease of use and overall tone.

Any of you guys played with those?
Old 04-17-2020, 03:52 PM

I suppose the Katana would be good for a practice amp. My buddy had a Katana that sounded good, but when we A-Bd it with a small Fender amp, it sounded lifeless.

Again, I don't think it's a bad practice amp. I just think with a little research, you'll be able to find something better.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:48 PM

I own a Fender Mustang amp (V2 Guitar Combo) and it's great. (For practicing with headphones or even playing out loud sometimes). Vast array of settings and options which the amp has to offer, even if I choose to use only a few.

Having said that, I also own a Roland Microcube and it too, is also wonderful for practicing or playing out loud and it's also might be a great option.

Apologies but I have no experience with Katana amps with which to compare against.
Old 04-17-2020, 05:12 PM

If you definitely want a modeling amp, those aren't bad choices. Blackstar ID cores serie and Vox modeling amps aren't a bad choice either.

I would steer you towards looking at small tube amps as well.

Supro and Blackstar make some fine small tube amps. I have a Bugera V5 and it sounds great with select guitars. The orange Micro terror paired with a 10" or 12" cab sounds great and is gig-worthy.

The pro and con of modeling amps is the diversity of tones available.

A 2 or 3 channel tube amp with reverb (& maybe tremolo) can give most sounds needed and w/great tone IMHO.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 04-17-2020, 05:36 PM

I’ve got the GT40 and it’s a pretty slick setup. I definitely like the phone control with the Tone app and the wifi update feature is nice too. Having fun with mine!

Last edited by 89bruin; 04-17-2020 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-17-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
If you definitely want a modeling amp, those aren't bad choices. Blackstar ID cores serie and Vox modeling amps aren't a bad choice either.

I would steer you towards looking at small tube amps as well.

Supro and Blackstar make some fine small tube amps. I have a Bugera V5 and it sounds great with select guitars. The orange Micro terror paired with a 10" or 12" cab sounds great and is gig-worthy.

The pro and con of modeling amps is the diversity of tones available.

A 2 or 3 channel tube amp with reverb (& maybe tremolo) can give most sounds needed and w/great tone IMHO.

A few years ago I was gasing for a HT1R after taking it for a spin. I would consider that since it’s in my budget, but I kinda want the versatility of a modeling amp with all the amp models and effects, and with the ability to plug in a set of headphones.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:57 PM

Have you checked out the amp sub-forum on The Gear Page? Their main thread on the Katana is over 800 pages long, with over 17,600 replies. Got to be some useful info in there somewhere.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
Have you checked out the amp sub-forum on The Gear Page? Their main thread on the Katana is over 800 pages long, with over 17,600 replies. Got to be some useful info in there somewhere.

Haven’t been in there for many years since there’s so much cork sniffing going on there. If you’re not playing the blooze with an all tube amp, you are a nobody. [emoji23]
Old 04-17-2020, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
...I would steer you towards looking at small tube amps as well...

Supro and Blackstar make some fine small tube amps. I have a Bugera V5 and it sounds great with select guitars. The Orange Micro Terror paired with a 10" or 12" cab sounds great and is gig-worthy...

A 2 or 3 channel tube amp with reverb (& maybe tremolo) can give most sounds needed and w/great tone...
Another vote for a tube amp...
Old 04-17-2020, 11:52 PM
Charter Member

I just got the Katana 50 mii. I don’t know jack squat about amps but for $219 there’s not a whole lot of risk to that purchase. Sounds pretty good to me and it has so many tonal options. I’m happy with it for now for sure.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:29 AM

I have a 12" tube amp, a Yamaha THR 30ii, a Yamaha 10c (now in my office), and a Katana Mkii (50 watt). They all are very good and have their own sound. I actually wouldn't say when it that much better than the other... just different sounds.

I will say, I wasn't floored by Katana at first. It was a little boomy and boxy. But, if you plug the amp into a computer, just once, and use the software you can globally dial an EQ pretty easily that really opens it up. After doing that, it sounded great. And, like I said, you only need to do that once. I haven't had to hook it into the computer since I did that. (Although, I might hook in just to check out more presets again.)

I use the Yamaha THR 30ii as my main practice amp now though since it runs on batteries. The Katana is for when I'm jamming somewhere and I need a little more power and don't want to haul my tube amp and pedals.

And, as a slight derail, I swear most modeling amps nowadays sound as good as tubes. I know it's debated endlessly, but I AB my tube amp next to the Kitana and Yamaha every once in a while and one does not sound better than the other to my ears. They sound different, but not better. I mean, don't get me wrong, the tube has some nice warmth and tone, but so do the modelers if you dial them in...
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 04-18-2020, 02:46 AM
Charter Member

I have a Fender Super Champ X2 Tweed from Sweetwater https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...acquered-tweed and really love it. The best of modeling and tube amps that's light, very portable and sounds amazing...

Fender Super Champ X2 Lacquered Tweed 1 x 10" Tube Combo Guitar Amplifier Features:
15-watt tube combo with 2 x 6V6 power tubes and 1 x 12AX7 preamp tube
Upgraded 10" Eminence Ragin Cajun speaker and classic tweed covering
Voicing knob with 16 different amp types (Tweed, Blackface, British, metal, etc.)
15 effects and tap tempo control for delay time/modulation rate adjustments
External speaker output and 1/4" line-out for recording directly or for plugging into a live sound system
USB output for speaker-emulated digital recording

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-18-2020, 04:44 AM

This review from Justin guitar has me almost sold. And then there’s this other blind test with Anderton’s against a Blackstar Silverline.

https://youtu.be/p4vGHaBoYsc

https://youtu.be/0hGl1ZeGBQA
Old 04-18-2020, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Haven’t been in there for many years since there’s so much cork sniffing going on there. If you’re not playing the blooze with an all tube amp, you are a nobody. [emoji23]
Good job there's no cork sniffing going on here in the AGF then

That Katana 100 Mk2 does sound pretty good to my ears. I still prefer pedals plus a simple valve amp. One thing to bear in mind with the Katana (and most cheaper modeling amps) you have access to good sounding effects. But tweaking them in a live environment can be a headache. Say you are using a phaser or chorus effect and want to reduce the depth or increase the speed. You can't just bend down and twist a knob like you can with pedals.
But the Katana is a good price and does sound good.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 04-18-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
Good job there's no cork sniffing going on here in the AGF then

That Katana 100 Mk2 does sound pretty good to my ears. I still prefer pedals plus a simple valve amp. One thing to bear in mind with the Katana (and most cheaper modeling amps) you have access to good sounding effects. But tweaking them in a live environment can be a headache. Say you are using a phaser or chorus effect and want to reduce the depth or increase the speed. You can't just bend down and twist a knob like you can with pedals.
But the Katana is a good price and does sound good.
Well, you can't change the speed or increase the depth on the fly, but you can load up to three different modulations and switch through them on the fly. If you get the footswitch, you can program a "setlist" of sounds and switch through them on the fly which is a lot quicker than adjusting pedals on every song. And, if you have a computer hooked to it on stage, you can adjust every parameter of each effect pretty easily.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars