The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-21-2022, 03:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
Marc Cohn carried an entire concert with a fingerpicked WL-14, so I guess they’re nice guitars. Striking, though, to see them rocket up to Gibson and Martin price strata so quickly. Has that happened recently with other brands?
Don't know of Marc Cohn, but see no reason why a Waterloo should not be deemed a practical instrument for a concert if it suits the kind of music.

People ask me why I don't sell off some of my collection, but the way that currency is going down in buying value, and funds are pretty turgid, it seems like wood and wire is as good an investment as anything.
Old 07-21-2022, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Here is a real eye-opener.

https://cartervintage.com/collection...bson-j-45-2018

and while I think the price here is a bit ambitious I think it might now be too far off. Certain guitars are selling at crazy prices, and there aren't too many around.
Old 07-21-2022, 06:28 AM

Yea, it seems a bit crazy, but we bought our house in 1988 for $106,000 and could sell tomorrow for $350,000, and in five years that price may increase by 1/3. That's crazy, but that's the market. Extremely high demand for quality houses in a desirable, flourishing suburban area, an area where there just aren't many houses for sale. I mean, we didn't plan for this to happen, as I'm sure Waterloo owners didn't either, but here we are. We love it here and will never sell (I think); that's capitalism for you, in all its strengths and weaknesses.
Old 07-21-2022, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Yup it’s a crazy time. People moving into our neighborhood from all over the US, driving up prices. Nothing wrong with that, but I’m not sure what local folks are doing to buy a house that’s double or triple the value.
Old 07-21-2022, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

I noticed this the other day. "the Waterloo line built with maximum responsiveness in mind" That's what is stated on the Collings WL-K information page. I am trying to think of what other guitar that is built and marketed for its responsiveness.

Creativity comes more easily with a good dose of fool
Old 07-21-2022, 08:03 AM

Capitalism can make claims to a lot of positive features. But there is nothing about capitalism that insures that individuals will be treated well (or, for that matter, fairly), either as buyers or sellers. Price gouging and opportunism are part of the territory….always have been.
Old 07-21-2022, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

The best way to fight price gouging is simple, just don't buy. I could put my new CEO-7 on Reverb for $10k and it's not a crime, it's not fraud, it's not morally wrong...and most likely it's not going to sell either. But if it did WHOOOO HOOOOO!!!!
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 07-21-2022, 08:10 AM

If you read my update post a few back, you would see the link to the Waterloos they were hoping a ...err...lucky person...err.....would buy for $7,500...

But nobody took the bait.

Good.

(though used price of 60% of new price does appear to have vanished overall.....)

BluesKing777.
Old 07-21-2022, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
So if you got $7,500 like those other Waterloo Reverb ads above, that is approx 319% markup on your new price?

If all my stuff gets that price, I will be moving to the beachfront! And my 2 Waterloos will be under armed guard....

No, it is just extreme scalping - should be reported to the fraud squad people.

BluesKing777.
I don't have any dog in this fight but curious how this is fraud? Something is worth what another is willing to pay. Presumably these won't sell and the seller will have to adjust expectations accordingly. But if they sell....then that's the market value.
Old 07-21-2022, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryc-k View Post
Here is a real eye-opener.

https://cartervintage.com/collection...bson-j-45-2018

and while I think the price here is a bit ambitious I think it might now be too far off. Certain guitars are selling at crazy prices, and there aren't too many around.
If I were a man of means I'd pay a premium for a guitar once owned by Jerry Jeff. Seems like a lot of money, but that's a very cool guitar no matter who owned it before. I agree, it's a good bet that they'll get close to the asking price.
Fender EJ Strat
Old 07-21-2022, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeappel View Post
If I were a man of means I'd pay a premium for a guitar once owned by Jerry Jeff. Seems like a lot of money, but that's a very cool guitar no matter who owned it before. I agree, it's a good bet that they'll get close to the asking price.
The problem with adding a premium on something based on a former owner is that the name is going to have to mean something in five or ten years to a prospective buyer. There is only so much goodwill to be gained in a name.
Granted a j45 or SJ without any affiliation to anyone famous is going for $10k. If you can find one.

The $3k Waterloos, that is reality. The $7500 ones....uh, that's silly. But not illegal.
Old 07-21-2022, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

In Silicon Valley there are probably 5000 guitar players who could buy one of these if they wanted it. Money is not so dear if you have a bunch of it. It's yes, a ripoff, but I want one kind of thing. It's not illegal to sell too high or pay too much.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 07-21-2022, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
The best way to fight price gouging is simple, just don't buy. I could put my new CEO-7 on Reverb for $10k and it's not a crime, it's not fraud, it's not morally wrong...and most likely it's not going to sell either. But if it did WHOOOO HOOOOO!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTL View Post
I don't have any dog in this fight but curious how this is fraud? Something is worth what another is willing to pay. Presumably these won't sell and the seller will have to adjust expectations accordingly. But if they sell....then that's the market value.
Yep, and I'm thankful that's our market structure over the alternatives.
Old 07-21-2022, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Greedy opportunism? Definitely.
Fraud? Not according to any definition of the word I’ve ever read.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 07-21-2022, 02:51 PM

I mean if someone wants to buy my WL-S for 6k Canadian I wouldn’t stop them [emoji51]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion