The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Default Question for the X7 owners...

Are you finding that the size of your X7 is ruining you for your other guitars?!?

Because my X7 is brand new I've been naturally playing/bonding with it for several days. Today for grins I strapped on my SC 1929 00 12 fret (AFTER playing the X7 for a good while, of course) and it felt like I was strapping on a dread! It was so HUGE!!!

Seriously though, I strap on the X7 and just walk around the house playing away, not a worry of bumping into anything. It's just. so. comfortable! But with great tone. Can't wait to get the X20. I wonder if that will feel too big!
Old 09-27-2017, 06:02 PM

Pretty much. My CA GX isn't really that big, especially with the contoured back - but it feels absolutely huge to me after I've been playing the X7.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

No, but my other guitars are 0s, a 00 and a travel guitar. Hope you enjoy it.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:15 PM
Guest 928

Methos;

You will be surprised at the comfort of the X20. You may also find it too large. I think it depends on the player. What is for sure is that the guitar is remarkably ergonomic and serves the player in many ways.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

I can't say the X7 "ruined me" for other guitars, but it absolutely changed the way I consider the comfort of a guitar. I don't notice so much that my other wood guitars feel HUGE, rather "hard edged."

When I first got the X20, after playing the X7 for about 9 months, my first thought was: this is a big guitar. Until we got home and I compared the comfort and sound of the X20 to a Taylor Grand Concert and a Grand Auditorium. The X20 kinda falls between those two sizes it you put a tape measure on it, but feels so much more comfortable (something a tape measure won't tell you). The size difference between the X7 and the X20 that I notice first is the width... but the arm-rest bevel on the X20 is so comfortable (and larger than that on the X7) that it is a not issue when playing. In other words, I notice it for a few seconds when I pick it up, then enjoy the playing.

The X20 just fits, whether standing or seated. It isn't as "intimate" as the X7, but it is comfortable, in a slightly different way... and way more comfortable than any of my other guitars, wood or CF.

For the record, we've been home for a few days, I did get a couple wood guitars out to put in my guitar room, but the total playing time with those has been a few minutes each... I guess each of these Emeralds have spoiled me. Sound, comfort, playability, and looks.

I was initially concerned that the X20 would get all the attention... and it certainly did, when I first got it, and after we got back home after being gone for over 3 months. And then, I divide the attention between the 2 Emeralds. That said, I totally get the premise of the OP - the X7 is a delight!
Old 09-27-2017, 06:50 PM

Too soon. I'll get back to you Methos
Old 09-27-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Are you finding that the size of your X7 is ruining you for your other guitars?!?

Because my X7 is brand new I've been naturally playing/bonding with it for several days. Today for grins I strapped on my SC 1929 00 12 fret (AFTER playing the X7 for a good while, of course) and it felt like I was strapping on a dread! It was so HUGE!!!

Seriously though, I strap on the X7 and just walk around the house playing away, not a worry of bumping into anything. It's just. so. comfortable! But with great tone. Can't wait to get the X20. I wonder if that will feel too big!
My first experience with a small guitar getting more play time than I thought it would was back in the 90's, when I got my first Baby Taylor. (This was when they were made in the US) That little guitar was to be nothing more than an addition to my travel guitar collection, but for the first few weeks it was all I played.

Fast forward a few years, and Helene is at the Hollywood GC looking for a birthday present for me. Although my regular salesman knew she would be willing to spend much more, he told her they just got in a limited edition little Martin, the Felix the Cat LTD. She looked at it, and the price, and asked if he was sure. He told her he was well aware of what I own, and assured her I would like it. A week later I was happily strumming my new Martin made of Formica, in fact, for the next month that little guitar was either within arms reach, or hanging on a neck strap as I walked our house. Pretty sure Helene put that salesman on our Christmas list.

So yea, small guitars can be rather fun, but I doubt any small guitar could ruin things for my other guitars. In fact the very next birthday gift from Helene was a D-45V, a guitar that has many more hours on it than that little Felix.

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 09-28-2017 at 11:01 PM. Reason: edited wrong post
Old 09-27-2017, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

I just have to know: this one...

Or, this one...

For the record, I can't just immediately go with "small = comfortable"... I tried a Martin Backpacker years ago.

On edit: Wait! I found this one, too!!

Old 09-28-2017, 09:48 AM
Guest 928

A cat with 3 lives--where are the other 6?
Old 09-28-2017, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Geez you guys are working it... Ha!
Old 09-28-2017, 04:16 PM

Felix The Cat was the first image on a TV by Allen B. DuMont... or so I heard.

After all he was a wonderful wonderful cat.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-28-2017, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

I will have to save the URL for this thread the next time a Martin fan goes on about "class and tradition."

To get back on topic again: I played the X7 plugged in today. It really is a great intimate size guitar. Generally during a session, I play just one guitar... since we've been home and set up the guitar room again, when I pick up one of the wood guitars, I play it for a bit... then get one of the Emeralds. I have to admit I have been leaning towards the X20, because it didn't get to travel with us this summer. But, today, it was all about the X7... but, I did have the X20 (and the Taylor 522ce 12-fret) in my direct line of sight while playing.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:16 PM

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 09-28-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:54 AM

Felix the cat... the wonderful wonderful cat....
Old 09-29-2017, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
On edit: Wait! I found this one, too!!

That's a nice little one, Capt.

It's an easy answer - Yes, small guitars do ruin all the rest for me:

Last edited by Jimmy Koh; 09-29-2017 at 02:03 AM.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber