The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-29-2022, 09:07 AM

Default Orange Crush Acoustic 30

I am an old guy. I started playing guitar four years ago at age 68. Immediately began working on fingerstyle acoustic. Love John Fahey, Jack Rose type stuff. I didn’t plan on ever performing. Just playing for my enjoyment. It’s a hobby. An endeavor to keep my brain and hands from dying in retirement. My mother at 96 years old is in an assisted living facility and I recently have thought that they would enjoy some acoustic entertainment and it would be fun for me. (Back note. I started playing drums at 12 years old in 1962 and played for several years in a few bands. I remember the feeling of performing before an audience. Loved it. But those were much different times and venues! &#129763. Since I don’t think a bunch of old folks in assisted living would enjoy my amateur foray into John Fahey tunes, I have decide to spend some time, like a year, working on some fingerstyle Christmas carols for next year.
I recently purchased an Orange Crush Acoustic 30. I have played with it some but really don’t have a handle on it yet. I was thinking about buying a Sonicake Sonic Wood effects pedal. My main guitars are a Taylor 312ce 12 fret and a Taylor 412ce custom 12 fret. I may use a Taylor 352ce 12 string. If I can get a good enough grasp on it.
So now the question. What do I really need to play small venues, like assisted living facilities, and how do I set it up?
Sorry for the long post!
Old 11-29-2022, 04:19 PM

You could go naked if the venue is small enough and you can get enough volume from your fingerpicking.

If your audience would be more than 20-30 feet away (typical small day room), I would choose

Microphone and stand (even if you don't sing, you may want to talk to your audience)

Amplifier with two inputs, one for instrument and one for microphone

Something to set the amplifier on - a stand or table for better sound projection

A folding chair or stool (three-legged camp stool is a nice design but I wish mine were taller)

Something to set your lead sheets on (if you use them; three-ring binder or electronic device, etc.)

A bag or bucket (bucket can double as a stool, too) to carry incidentals like cables, mics, capo, tuner,

Practice setting up and packing up in your living room so you look professional when you do those things on stage.

spare EVERYTHING - cables, mic, strings - that could possibly go wrong that you can afford and can carry.

Will you be using any pedals?

I have not performed in any sort of professional capacity, but in amateur talent shows and open mics, those are the things that I learned are good to think about before getting on stage so you don't have to think about them in performance.

Good luck. And bless you for thinking of entertaining those folks.
Old 11-29-2022, 05:45 PM

Plan on spending around $1,000.00 on a decent PA that will have 2 channels.
One for vocal and one for instrument.
You should be able to include something like a Shure SM-58 vocal mic, stand and cord for that price. In fact, Guitar Center sells a combo with all 3 components.

A small PA speaker like the Bose S1 is a good place to start.
Alto, EV, JBL and others make PA speakers that will all do the job.

Google all of them to help you pick what will work best for you.
Lots of good videos on You Tube about them.

Some people choose to use an amp over a PA but that is a personal choice.
An amp would also work in small venues, as long as it's an acoustic amp and will accept a mic.

Take your time and demo some systems if you can.
Old 11-29-2022, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbgt View Post
I am an old guy. I started playing guitar four years ago at age 68. Immediately began working on fingerstyle acoustic. Love John Fahey, Jack Rose type stuff. I didn’t plan on ever performing. Just playing for my enjoyment. It’s a hobby. An endeavor to keep my brain and hands from dying in retirement. My mother at 96 years old is in an assisted living facility and I recently have thought that they would enjoy some acoustic entertainment and it would be fun for me. (Back note. I started playing drums at 12 years old in 1962 and played for several years in a few bands. I remember the feeling of performing before an audience. Loved it. But those were much different times and venues! &#129763. Since I don’t think a bunch of old folks in assisted living would enjoy my amateur foray into John Fahey tunes, I have decide to spend some time, like a year, working on some fingerstyle Christmas carols for next year.
I recently purchased an Orange Crush Acoustic 30. I have played with it some but really don’t have a handle on it yet. I was thinking about buying a Sonicake Sonic Wood effects pedal. My main guitars are a Taylor 312ce 12 fret and a Taylor 412ce custom 12 fret. I may use a Taylor 352ce 12 string. If I can get a good enough grasp on it.
So now the question. What do I really need to play small venues, like assisted living facilities, and how do I set it up?
Sorry for the long post!
Here's what I use, it's all you really need for smaller gigs. Set yourself up something that's easy to carry, quick to set up, and is simple to use. You can always go bigger if you find a need to do that later, but I'm guessing that won't be necessary. Your 2 channel Orange amp would work fine in a smaller setting.

Old 11-29-2022, 08:07 PM

Thanks for the come backs. I appreciate any advice. I forgot to mention that I would be instrumental only. No vocals. If I sang they would all run away screaming! ��
Old 11-30-2022, 04:58 AM

You have everything you need, just experiment with it in a suitable space and with a trusted guinea pig (usually a spouse).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification