The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-08-2024, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brancher View Post
I really like the bi-level bridge on the Yaris, and the ones on the Alvarez (the one-piece) are fine as well. Just curious about the change -- J is right - in the end, you gotta appeal to the targeted folks (like us) and put something out there that returns your investment.
Yairi's don't have a bi-level bridge, they have a direct coupled bridge with a bridge piece and a separate string anchor piece. The "bi-level bridge" (Alvarez) is just a one piece bridge with a shape that mimics the direct coupled bridge and shaves down the bridge pin plane (with a bunch of marketing-speak).

But guitarists are generally herd animals who get upset when a guitar deviates from the straight and narrow, and the aesthetic of the bi-level bridge has put many a panty in a bunch. The Laureate bridge is a tiny variation on the familiar (boring) bridge that is unlikely to upset the traditionalists and lets Saint Louis Music's marketing machine pretend they aren't succumbing to pressure.
Bedell TBA-24-G
Bedell TBCE-18-G
Gurian S3M (1978)
Taylor GS Mini-e Bass

Last edited by PinkLine; 01-09-2024 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-08-2024, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
Alvarez Yairi do compare, though. For sure.
I have three Yairis: a DYMR70SB, a GYM90 koa, and a CYM75. The DYMR steals the show as the best guitar I’ve ever played (or heard in person), takes my breath away each time I play it. The GYM is remarkable too, in its own way. If the Laureates are half the guitar that the Yairis are, they will be incredible.

Last edited by Enjoicube; 01-08-2024 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-09-2024, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

My interest is piqued, mostly in the Yairi dread with the redwood top. I do prefer the appearance of the more traditional bridge but I've seen goofier looking bridges from other companies, the Alvarez bridge design wouldn't put me off buying one.
Old 01-09-2024, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLine View Post
Yairi's don't have a bi-level bridge, they have a direct coupled bridge with a bridge piece and a separate string anchor piece. The "bi-level bridge" (Alvarez) is just a one piece bridge with a shape that mimics the direct coupled bridge and shaves down the bridge pin plane (with a bunch of marketing-speak).

But guitarists are generally herd animals who get upset when a guitar deviates from the straight and narrow, and the aesthetic of the bi-level bridge has put many a panty in a bunch. The Laureate bridge is a tiny variation on the familiar (boring) bridge that is unlikely to upset the traditionalists and lets Saint Louis Music's marketing machine pretend they aren't succumbing to pressure.

Thanks for clarifying. I have an Alvarez with the one piece “bi-level” bridge and like the look of it just fine. While I have never owned a Yairi, I’ve also liked the look of the two-piece “direct coupled” bridge.
Best,
Jayne
Old 01-09-2024, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post
I was told, ten years ago by a local Alvarez dealer that he stopped carrying the Masterworks guitars because folks would come in, play the Artists and Masterworks back to back, and go home with the less expensive guitar because it was so close, for substantially less money.

I bought my son an AD30. A nice beginner's guitar. But I find there is a big difference between my own MD60BG which I picked up slightly used from GC for $400. The all solid just outperforms the laminate.

But for a beginner, if you don't know if you are going to stick with it, an OK entry level guitar just makes more sense.

I think I want that Laureate .... (although I really want a yairi with the Honduran mahogany but my skills "don't deserve" it ... yet .... hopefully one day)
Old 02-02-2024, 03:27 PM

Bumping an slightly older thread.

Anyone tried out the new Alvarez Laureate series? On paper, it looks good.
Old 02-04-2024, 04:17 PM

I just bought the dreadnaught (LD70e) yesterday, & played a gig with it last night. IÂ’ve been to Sweetwater a few times over the past month or 2, looking for the next one. Like you said, on paper I it looked good.

I really thought the Yairi WY1 was what I wanted, but it just wasn’t right for me. Then I saw the specs on the Laureate, & tried the OM version. It was absolutely beautiful, and I wanted to love it, but it was a little bright. Then I tried the dred, even thought I didn’t think I wanted one. It’s still brighter than my other main guitar (Takamine TF430ss- cedar/ovangkol/cool tube), but the bass notes sing, & big chord strums sound more balanced, & it still does finger-picking well. Once I got a feel for the tone control, I started loving the hi-fi pickup. I’m going to run it through my system some more to dial in eq & make sure, but I think it’s a keeper. BTW- for me, the extra $50 for the “Daybreak” finish was worth it.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:10 PM

Question Where are the Alvarez Laureates made

Where are they built ? I assume China? 1300 dollars for a Chinese guitar is a joke imo
Old 02-15-2024, 07:24 PM

honestly, my masterworks MF60OM is a really terrific guitar .
I only dont play it any more and will eventually sell because I bought a 00018 which retails for 4X the cost. The MF60OM in my mind is as good as any eastman I have played (i think I like the woodiness more, personally, so I imagine this series is nice too.
I would love to play an OM vintage honduran mahogany back and sized Yairi. I played the dreadnought and it was pretty amazing. sold quickly.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimeshow22 View Post
Where are they built ? I assume China? 1300 dollars for a Chinese guitar is a joke imo
Hmmm, I'd rather judge the guitar on its own merits rather than its country of origin. $1300 for a quality guitar isn't much.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:53 PM

My problem with the Alvarez guitars (not the including the Yairi’s) is they use epoxy glues on the bridge and neck joints. I assume the new Lauareiete line does too. $1300 for a guitar made in China with a neck joint that can not be reset is kind of a lot. The Yairis use hide glue. They used to use epoxy but they stopped several years ago and began to use hide glue.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosette View Post
Hmmm, I'd rather judge the guitar on its own merits rather than its country of origin. $1300 for a quality guitar isn't much.
Agreed. Sorry but the China comment is simply incorrect. There are several high quality acoustics being built, a few honourable mentions are the Yamaha L6 and L16 series, several Eastmans, Hsienmo… and I’m sure I’m missing a ton. So from all the chatter I’ve been reading and seeing online the Laureate Series is impressing a lot of folks.
1980 Yamaha SJ-180
Old 02-16-2024, 08:48 AM

Default Alvarez Laureate Series

Quote:

… Bet you’re happy though paying $4000+ for a US guitar where the binding fails or it needs a neck reset after a month, or maybe a guitar so boring it can only be played in a church… gotcha [emoji38]
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 02-16-2024, 09:16 AM

Quote:
It’s not 1995 anymore. They’ve come a long way in build quality. Not saying every guitar from there is stellar, but if you play enough of them, there are some great sounding guitars coming out of China. And some of those cost even less than $1000.

I own guitars made in America, Canada, Indonesia, and China. I enjoy playing them all. That’s why I bought them.

I agree with Rosette above. Judge the individual guitar. Doing so will ensure you find some great guitars AND great deals outs there.
Old 02-16-2024, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster7 View Post
… Bet you’re happy though paying $4000+ for a US guitar where the binding fails or it needs a neck reset after a month, or maybe a guitar so boring it can only be played in a church… gotcha [emoji38]
Sounds like it. If that $1300 guitar was built in US, it would most likely be in the 4-5K range.

It's funny how labor is China is viewed like that. They have talented individuals as well. I wonder if people also wished to have their computers / phones made in US and would prefer to pay 5-6 times the price? It doesn't translate to the product being better quality.
1980 Yamaha SJ-180

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion