The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-03-2016, 05:34 PM

Default Looking for views from those experienced with Santa Cruz guitars

Which Santa Cruz models have been your favourite? I've been round the bend with guitars lately and am thinking of a Santa Cruz custom order. I've previously owned a DPW and a Tony Rice, preferred the DPW. Would have kept the DPW but the neck profile was a little too chunky for me. However, thinking of basing a custom order on either;

Vintage southerner
DPW
OM grand

Some sort of spruce top. Not sure of Roseowed or Hog B/S. Would like a short scale.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-03-2016, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

First off, having the opportunity for a custom order sounds likes blast an incredible opportunity. Congrats and I hope to hear more about it if you pull the trigger.

I also had a Tony Rice and DPW. And ended up doing the same. Kept the DPW. The neck on it is fine for me.

If you like the DPW, I'd base the custom on the DPW and get a neck profile that suits you.

The short scale will give a your left hand an easier time with the lower tension on having the frets slightly closer together.

In general, I think it's best to call Santa Cruz, tell them as much as you can about your playing style(s), preferences and expectations. I think they're the ones best to walk you through the custom order and getting something that suits you.

I would imagine that there's a lot they can tweak to make the guitar look, sound and perform the way you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2016, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prizen View Post
Which Santa Cruz models have been your favourite? I've been round the bend with guitars lately and am thinking of a Santa Cruz custom order. I've previously owned a DPW and a Tony Rice, preferred the DPW. Would have kept the DPW but the neck profile was a little too chunky for me. However, thinking of basing a custom order on either;

Vintage southerner
DPW
OM grand

Some sort of spruce top. Not sure of Roseowed or Hog B/S. Would like a short scale.

Any thoughts?
I've owned several and have played a bunch more. There are certainly many models to choose from and a good portion of them out there are custom builds.

As to which model, that will mostly depend you your musical styles, your playing techniques, your individual ergonomics and subjective preferences. I play finger style, flesh and nail, play sitting down and prefer guitars with balanced attributes. From SCGC, I really like the F model and its variations. I have two (FS and custom all-mahogany F). The Grand OM is another. Don't have one of those but I would like one for sure.

The VS is a very nice sloped shoulder guitar. Their dreadnoughts are also quite nice. Neither would work for me, but that's just evidence of why it is important for you to choose what works best for you.

SCGC will normally gladly build with your choices (e.g., short scale, neck contour/shape, etc.). However, their prices seem to go north pretty quickly with customizations, particularly with exotic woods.

Because there are so many custom SCGC guitars out there, and because used prices are quite soft these days, being patient until a good used instrument shows up may be a good strategy.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:57 PM

I own a vintage jumbo that I love. I've also played 1929 000 that I would love to own. Really any and every Santa Cruz guitar is great.

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole- Les Paul.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

I've played nearly every model SCGC makes and I really love the Tony Rice Pro, D/PW and 1934 D. The FS and OM Grand are my favorite smaller models. Just an FYI there is quite a big difference in the tone on a Tony Rice compared to a Tony Rice Pro and its not just the Brazilian rosewood by any means.

I also quite like the D12 and RS models.

Its hard to go wrong with the Santa Cruz Guitar Company!!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 12-03-2016, 06:17 PM

Of the models listed I prefer the OM Grand which I've found consistently excellent. I also thought the standard Rosewood/Sitka combination sounded best over two with more exotic woods. Good luck.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:21 PM

It looks like the majority of the SCGC guitars are rosewood.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

I owned a 1929-00 for several years and if I could have ever married up to that thick neck, I would still own it. One of the finest and coolest guitars I've ever played. I prefer the smaller-bodied guitars than you have mentioned, but rest assured, Santa Cruz makes some wonderful instruments. Exceedingly good craftsmanship. I wish you luck. It'll be a fun process and you'll end up with a guitar-for-life!
Old 12-03-2016, 06:35 PM

I have had three dreads, a Firefly, and my favorite, an OM of Mahogany and Adirondack. It was my favorite sound of all the SCGC guitars I owned.

I miss it. The party that bought it 15 years ago still has it.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:05 PM

I'm fond of their OMs - have a sitka/EIR cutaway with tapered bracing that is almost preternaturally even and smooth. The -29 all-mahogany series is amazing; the 00 in that size is a treat.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post

I also quite like the D12 and RS models.
Yes. Amazing -- exactly what my choices would be.

I love my VS, but I think the RS, with it's deeper voice, would suit me more.

I do not have GAS, but if I did, it would be for the last D12 I played. Very responsive -- very talkative spruce/mahogany guitar -- loved it. I miss the mahogany tone of my departed D-18, but would choose the Santa Cruz for it's fingerpicking playability.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

I've had the pleasure of owning a number of SCs, and all were wonderful. But they've also had a wide range of voices, and thats one of the reasons I have a hard time when people want to pigeonhole SCGC as sounding a particular way -

My current favs are a maple F, an all mahogany OM, and a 14 fret sitka/eir H - but I also frequently play a koa F, a braz OM, a sitka/eir baritone, and occasionally a claro walnut F 12 string. Then there are the ones I really don't play too often at all, but also don't feel the desire to sell - at least until I find something else I want -

But unless you've had a chance to try out a number of body styles and wood combos, you're really best off talking to the shop and describing your playing style and tonal preferences, and then let them talk to you about what they think might work well for you. Don't assume you need a reallly unusual wood - their mahogany guitars are wonderful, and even the "normal" eir they use makes great instruments. They have a good number of neck shapes, and they can really do some amazing bling if thats your thing -

If there is one model that I haven't had enough time with, its the OM Grand - If you are thinking about a dread, I'd give that one some investigation -
Old 12-04-2016, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

D/PW here. Got it with 1 3/4" nut width.

Most musical guitar I have ever owned.

It's soo nice I actually owned it twice.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

....i would add an H-13 to your list of contenders...that said...its hard to beat a Santa Cruz OM....i've had six SC's and my custom OM is the one that i just can't give up....
Old 12-04-2016, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Every SCGC I've played has been nothing short of awesome. The OO I still own is a fantastic guitar. I prefer small body guitars so of the ones you've listed as potential, I'd go with the OM Grand.

I've often thought of one day doing a custom order but I'm very leery of custom orders because it's all so much guess work. I played a Custom F once that literally had everything I would order in a custom SCGC and it was phenomenal. Short scale, Italian spruce top, beautiful cocobolo back and sides with flamed Koa binding, no pickguard, and just tone for days. Should have bought that.

Good luck and if you end up doing it make sure you tell us what you ordered and how it all went when you get it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion