The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-27-2024, 05:51 PM

Default Adding to a EV30m setup

I’ve been using the 30m for a couple years and really like it. This is for my trio, acoustic guitar, cajon/percussion and vocals. I have some bigger shows coming up this summer and feel I may need a bit more coverage and want to be prepared. I’m considering adding another 30m or even a 50m so I would then have each of those to use by themselves also as needed. I’m not sure if using both together would be too much of a mismatch. Anyone doing the same or have suggestions?
Old 02-27-2024, 06:42 PM

There's questions of the venue, money, utility, and weight. I've been impressed with the EV50 I've played through recently. I can't imagine needing much more for a trio.

That said, if it's purely sound power and coverage for a larger room and stage, a second matching EV30 without mixer could provide a nice even sound across the space. If the room and stage is about the same size, but the crowd is louder, the single unit might be a better match.

If you like the sound profile and operation of these units, it does make some sense to stick with them rather than mixing with different powered speakers.
Old 02-27-2024, 07:56 PM

Thank you for the reply. It’s mostly about larger rooms/stage and outdoors especially. I don’t believe they make a 30 w/o the mixer but I’m ok with that. I would like to experience the difference between the 30 and 50. I know the power is the same but I’m sure the larger speakers in the 50 make quite a difference.
Old 02-27-2024, 08:27 PM

Default SC

If you don't need the extra bass of a second 30m then a QSC K8.2 is louder than the 30m at 128dB vs 123dB for the 30m and less $$$. QSC CP8 at 124dB would be a perfect match in sound signature and volume at $500.
Old 02-27-2024, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksh24 View Post
Thank you for the reply. It’s mostly about larger rooms/stage and outdoors especially. I don’t believe they make a 30 w/o the mixer but I’m ok with that. I would like to experience the difference between the 30 and 50. I know the power is the same but I’m sure the larger speakers in the 50 make quite a difference.
There definitely is a difference. I'm a 30m gigger, and have been in front of many a 50/50m. The wattage may be the same, but the 50/50m has larger drivers and two more of them as you point out. Its 127db SPL is 4db higher.

It depends so much on the venues. I'm very happy with my 30m and it isn't worth it to me to lug around the heavier and more awkward-to-carry 50m, but it might be for you. A happy user here (Zack Pomerau and I probably mis-spelling his last name) who plays solo a lot settled on the 50m partly because of his outdoor gigs.
Old 02-28-2024, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

I would worry about the mismatch of using the EV30M and an EV50 although that might just be me. It's also a lot more gear to schlep. Were it me (an avid EV30M user going on two years myself), I would like go the route of just adding a nice powered speaker up on a pole to get more sound out there. Something like the previously mentioned QSC k8.2 or k10.2 if you want more low end. Much less expensive than an entire EV50.
Old 02-28-2024, 08:03 AM

The just announced Everse 12 could also be a potential way to expand the 30M system: https://products.electrovoice.com/na...omepage-banner
2023 Cole Clark True Hybrid
Fender Acoustasonic Strat
Line6HX Stomp
BeatBuddy
Boss RC-500
EV Evolve 30M
Old 02-28-2024, 08:09 AM

I have one 30M and two 50Ms. I use the 30M the most as it fits it sounds exactly the same at lower levels and will handle even mid sized bars nicely.

The 50M is roughly the same amount of coverage and volume as two 30Ms.

Two 50Ms is twice that, plus has enough channels for a larger group when you connect an ethernet cable between them. What is especially cool is that people on each side of the stage can plug into the 50M that is closer.

At outdoor levels, you can put the 50Ms in front of you and run monitors and that works really well. I use two Bose S1 Pros for that.

What I wanted was to be able to handle everything from a small coffee shop up to a raised outdoor stage in a field with food trucks.

If the two 50Ms won’t handle it, you need trucked in sound!
Old 02-28-2024, 09:00 AM

Does anyone know if the EV QuickSmart App can operate two different EV systems at once? Can it connect to both through bluetooth at the same time?

I am a 30M owner and while it has been enough for most gigs, volume wise, there are some venues where I would like an additional speaker to project the sound in 2 different directions. The new Everse 12 might be a good option to use along with the 30M. I'm hesitant to get another 30M because it's a lot to lug to a gig and it's a lot to spend for occasional use.
Old 02-28-2024, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Does anyone know if the EV QuickSmart App can operate two different EV systems at once? Can it connect to both through bluetooth at the same time?

I am a 30M owner and while it has been enough for most gigs, volume wise, there are some venues where I would like an additional speaker to project the sound in 2 different directions. The new Everse 12 might be a good option to use along with the 30M. I'm hesitant to get another 30M because it's a lot to lug to a gig and it's a lot to spend for occasional use.
The 12 sounds like a good option for that. I've started using my Everse 8 as a monitor and one reason I like doing that is that in a pinch, I could keep gigging at my smaller venues if the 30m blew up.

Re multi-operations on the app, that's a flat "no" for the 30m. You'd have to switch back and forth with the pairings if you wanted to tweak per-unit. If I were running two, I'd use the aux- or mix-out to slave the second unit. Same with at 30m/Everse 12 combo.

The 50m we don't own permits what you have in mind, thanks to the "Quicksmart Link"--basically a Cat 5 or whatever cable linking two. When you open the app--as has been told to me--you can access two separate instances of the two 50m's.
Old 02-28-2024, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post

Yes, it controls two systems just fine. You can use the second one as a second stereo speaker. The only thing you can’t do is combine the mixers. To do that, you need the Ethernet connection of the 50M.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification