The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-18-2019, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD--Ben Wilborn "BevelBelle"

So I went to the B.I.G. several weeks back not expecting to buy anything, but fate intervened and brought this guitar into my radar. There were so many wonderful guitars at this show, but it was the BevelBelle which ultimately put me under put me under her spell.

So what was it about this guitar that made me want to take it home with me? Admittedly, I fall into the category of feeling that Sitka and EIR are pretty run of the mill woods of which I already have an OM made from. But this one is truly special--Ben has a way of creating stunningly elegant guitars without all of the typical flash and bling that many guitars do--the woods simply speak for themselves. Wilborn old Sitka over a gorgeous set of East Indian that has oxidation, dark ink lines, and streaks of red intermingled with the typical browns.

I hadn't played this guitar on Saturday yet as my will power was still somewhat intact at that point. But then Ben (or I should say Toad) played this guitar at the Frog and Toad concert at B.I.G., so I heard for myself what beautiful tone just and projection it had listening to him play. So the next day I played BevelBelle and was blown away! First off, it is so freaking light--I was amazed! The notes seemed to just leap out of this guitar with such clarity and focus, and the sustain it possesses is the definition of infinity--it goes on forever. So after AB'ing several guitars with my wife sitting out front listening, I played the BevelBelle last for her. She immediately pointed at it and said, "that's the one!" So who am I to argue with Eileen--I was in total agreement with her.

I had Ben ship the guitar back to Reno so that he could install a clear pickguard and put an endpin in it. We picked it up from him the following weekend after B.I.G. and got the grand tour of Ben's shop with the opportunity to talk woods and try out the latest guitars he's been working on. I've been playing the BevelBelle for a minimum of an hour every day after work since we picked her up, and she continues to impress and delight me. It's like this guitar was made for me, and I thank Ben silently to myself every time I play it for creating this guitar. I'll never look at Sitka and EIR ever the same again!

There's also the added mojo that Ben has injected into this guitar with his playing--it's the guitar he used for Frog and Toad's latest CD "Soon". (Check out this CD if you haven't already--it's a must listen for any guitar enthusiast. I can only hope that some of his magical guitar mojo somehow remains embedded in this guitar and makes it way into my playing. Most AGFers know Ben from over on the Custom Shop--for those who may not, he is the real deal, and I can wholehearted recommend Ben to anyone considering a custom build. He's a super luthier, a gifted musician, and one heck of a nice guy. A shout out too to Brad Jones (Frog) who is also one heck of a player and a great guy as well!

My playing could never compare to Ben's, so I won't include a sample of my playing, but will leave that task to Mr. Wilborn himself by offering up the video he recorded of the BevelBelle.

If you made it this far through this long-winded post, I'll leave you with a few pics...

Pau Ferro on the headstock with Waverly Grandtune tuners and Bakelite nut

Dad's old Sitka top

Another top shot showing the Sitka color better

Another look at the top with ebony bridge and Bakelite saddle

The gorgeous EIR back and the soundport

An indoor shot showing the EIR color better (sorry for the reflections!)

And finally the backstrap

That's all--thanks for checking her out!!!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)

Last edited by Nemoman; 04-19-2019 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Embedding video
Old 04-18-2019, 06:13 PM

Very nice, a little bit different ... but all in a good way!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 04-18-2019, 06:22 PM

Very very cool....and beautiful!

Congrats!
Old 04-18-2019, 08:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

After having had the pleasure of meeting Eileen.....
.....I'd find it difficult to argue with her too, Nemoman.

I also endorse Ben...the man...the luthier...the legend. His guitars speak for themselves...and his personality is infectious.

Keep on playing.

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 04-18-2019, 08:49 PM

So nice to hear - I’ve got two of Ben’s Ellie Belles (including one with what I think is the same Sitka) and I couldn’t agree more - he builds really special guitars, even out of woods that seem too common.

Glad you found it and glad you’re enjoying it. Ben is a gem!
Old 04-18-2019, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Beautiful, beautiful! Ben's designs are original and elegant both in aesthetic and in voice. His workmanship is amazing...a craftsman and artisan...and a great player!

Congrats on that beauty!!!

I can tell you all I know, the where to go,
the what to do

You can try to run but you can't
hide from what's inside of you
Old 04-18-2019, 08:54 PM

I like the looks of that guitar , very beautiful !
Old 04-18-2019, 09:02 PM

That guitar is special! I played it right after the Frog and Toad concert at BIG- it was so responsive and the tone was wonderful! I couldn't help but pick it up as it sounded so great in Ben's talented hands during that concert. But I was looking for a smaller guitar and I looked at Ben and he said- "yeah, that's the Ellie Belle. Probably too big for what you want." So I sadly put it down and walked away.... But WOW!! I'm really glad you got to take it home.

I'm sure it's going to be such a joy to play. Ben builds special instruments!

beth

p.s. And I did very well too- the Lioness that Ben brought to BIG came home with me!

Last edited by mountainguitar; 04-18-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:50 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful guitar and I know it sounds that way also

After seeing Ben play his guitars at the Woodstock show, I'm a big fan.

What is B.I.G. ?
Old 04-19-2019, 05:11 AM
Charter Member

This is a great looking guitar. I’ve watched Ben’s builds that are posted in the Custom sub-forum and they are terrific guitars that sound wonderful. Congratulations.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post

What is B.I.G. ?
B.I.G was a guitar festival (luthiers, concerts, and lessons) that an AGF member organized in Texas at the end of March.

beth
Old 04-19-2019, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Very nice! With the exception of the cutaway style it looks like my Avalon's little brother. Enjoy it.

There's some fine playing at the end of the video.

Vals:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 04-19-2019, 08:21 AM

We live in a time where there are many excellent artisans building incredible instruments.

I have been following Ben Wilborns' work here for a while and he is building guitars that I am the most interested in. Solid craftsmanship, great design aesthetic, and from various folks that have played his instruments, superb tone and balance.

Really solid player also.

There will come a time where I will have Ben build me a guitar.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Very nice, a little bit different ... but all in a good way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverkollar View Post
Very very cool....and beautiful!

Congrats!
Thanks--Ben does have his own unique aesthetic which is very cool IMO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Teel View Post
After having had the pleasure of meeting Eileen.....
.....I'd find it difficult to argue with her too, Nemoman.

I also endorse Ben...the man...the luthier...the legend. His guitars speak for themselves...and his personality is infectious.

Keep on playing.

Joel
Thanks, Joel--infectious is the perfect way to describe Ben's engaging and upbeat personality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettWilliams View Post
So nice to hear - I’ve got two of Ben’s Ellie Belles (including one with what I think is the same Sitka) and I couldn’t agree more - he builds really special guitars, even out of woods that seem too common.

Glad you found it and glad you’re enjoying it. Ben is a gem!
That old Sitka is something special, and Ben is building wonderful guitars with it--it's a shame he is running low on his supply of his Dad's old stash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post
Beautiful, beautiful! Ben's designs are original and elegant both in aesthetic and in voice. His workmanship is amazing...a craftsman and artisan...and a great player!

Congrats on that beauty!!!
Thanks so much--your words regarding Ben are spot on...
Old 04-19-2019, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
I like the looks of that guitar , very beautiful !
Thanks, Tony--thanks for checking her out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post
That guitar is special! I played it right after the Frog and Toad concert at BIG- it was so responsive and the tone was wonderful! I couldn't help but pick it up as it sounded so great in Ben's talented hands during that concert. But I was looking for a smaller guitar and I looked at Ben and he said- "yeah, that's the Ellie Belle. Probably too big for what you want." So I sadly put it down and walked away.... But WOW!! I'm really glad you got to take it home.

I'm sure it's going to be such a joy to play. Ben builds special instruments!

beth

p.s. And I did very well too- the Lioness that Ben brought to BIG came home with me!
Thanks, Beth--it was a pleasure meeting you and talking with you at B.I.G. You really scored on that Koa Lion--it was a really sweet guitar with a beautiful voice. So welcome to the Wilborn family as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post

What is B.I.G. ?
Thanks, lowrider--if you played Ben's guitars at Woodstock then you indeed know how special they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
This is a great looking guitar. I’ve watched Ben’s builds that are posted in the Custom sub-forum and they are terrific guitars that sound wonderful. Congratulations.
Thanks, Haasome--it's been fun watching Ben's builds on the Custom forum--I think we all look forward to his upcoming videos!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop