The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-02-2016, 06:46 PM

Default Two New Rainsongs in Three Months

I started out buying a Rainsong Studio OM and I just received my new Studio Drednaught on friday. These are just fantastic guitars in my humble opinion and I don't have to worry about humidity anymore. I got a great deal on the too because the studio series were discontinued. I am also not afraid to gig with them like I was my Martin and Gibson. in the past 6 months I have finally sold all of my wood acoustics and I am very happy with the Rainsongs. They sound great unplugged or amped. I will never look back.
Gibson SG
Fender Stratocaster
Old 05-02-2016, 08:06 PM

Sounds like we have another convert. Congrats, and enjoy your Rainsongs, I know I'm enjoying mine.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Sounds like we have another convert. Congrats, and enjoy your Rainsongs, I know I'm enjoying mine.
If only more solid-wood guitarists had a chance to play a carbon guitar or had an open mind to do so, I think sales would boom!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-03-2016, 08:08 AM

Ditto that, SpruceTop. I'm leaning toward a total conversion myself, but not sure if the changeover will ever be complete. It will be hard to part with my koa Taylor's and some of my koa and mango ukulele.

I'm just tired of worrying about humidity, after 15 years in Alaska and now 8 in southern Idaho (on the edge of the desert). The wife has her CA Cargo, and I have the Rainsong WS-1000. The only thing needed to complete the CF set is a Lucky 13. And a WS-3000 twelve string, or an Emerald Chimeara in 6/12 configuration. And.....

Yikes! It's beginning all over again.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:19 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Ditto that, SpruceTop. I'm leaning toward a total conversion myself, but not sure if the changeover will ever be complete. It will be hard to part with my koa Taylor's and some of my koa and mango ukulele.

I'm just tired of worrying about humidity, after 15 years in Alaska and now 8 in southern Idaho (on the edge of the desert). The wife has her CA Cargo, and I have the Rainsong WS-1000. The only thing needed to complete the CF set is a Lucky 13. And a WS-3000 twelve string, or an Emerald Chimeara in 6/12 configuration. And.....

Yikes! It's beginning all over again.
Not to derail this thread, but...trust me, that guitar is fun beyond belief. You can do things with it that can't be done on any other guitar, and I'm just an intermediate player. Going between necks in a given song creates more dynamics and tension, and requires uncompromising timing, all leading to improved playing overall. Sorry if I'm stoking your GAS.....not!

Last edited by Acousticado; 05-03-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Not to derail this thread, but...trust me, that guitar is fun beyond belief. You can do things with it that can't be done on any other guitar, and I'm just an intermediate player. Going between necks in a given song creates more dynamics and tension, and requires uncompromising timing, all leading to improved playing overall. Sorry if I'm stoking your GAS.....not!
Emerald Chimeara in 6/12 configuration: That would be an excellent choice for "Ghosts Of Cape Horn" by Gord!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-03-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Emerald Chimeara in 6/12 configuration: That would be an excellent choice for "Ghosts Of Cape Horn" by Gord!
I have an '07 OM1000 (now tuned DACFAD), a Shorty bought used in January, a Smokey bought new on uncontrollable impulse while in Bozeman for my son's wedding, and I just got a used Journey OF660 just in case I wanted to do some more travel by air... Please don't put ideas in my head that I shouldn't have!
Old 05-03-2016, 06:33 PM

I just shipped out my Martin HD-40 Tom Petty to a guy in Florida yesterday. My Gibson SJ100 Xtra went a month ago and my 72 Guild F212XL went before Christmas. I now have two Rainsong acoustics, a Gibson SG and a Fender Strat. I have officially downsized at the age of 62 and its going to stay that way. Now if I could just figure out how to edit my Signature on this forum, I press edit but it doesn't work.
Steve
Gibson SG
Fender Stratocaster
Old 05-03-2016, 06:45 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shardy53 View Post
I just shipped out my Martin HD-40 Tom Petty to a guy in Florida yesterday. My Gibson SJ100 Xtra went a month ago and my 72 Guild F212XL went before Christmas. I now have two Rainsong acoustics, a Gibson SG and a Fender Strat. I have officially downsized at the age of 62 and its going to stay that way. Now if I could just figure out how to edit my Signature on this forum, I press edit but it doesn't work.
Steve
Click on 'User CP' at the top left of any page, then once at the new screen, under the 'Settings & Options' menu, select 'Edit Signature' and make your changes.

Are you saying no more GAS, not even CF GAS? . Good luck with that!
Old 05-03-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I just shipped out my Martin HD-40 Tom Petty to a guy in Florida yesterday. My Gibson SJ100 Xtra went a month ago and my 72 Guild F212XL went before Christmas. I now have two Rainsong acoustics...
And you didn't call me???
Old 05-03-2016, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

I've owned two now - an Emerald X20 Artisan and the Rainsong Shorty APLE - they both are/were really great guitars. I still have the APLE and it's a great backup to my Santa Cruz. Not sure I could ever go down to just one and if I did I'd be really hard pressed to not have the one and only be a wood guitar. I guess if I played out a lot, especially in inclement weather, or traveled or lived in extreme conditions then maybe the one and only would be a CF.

I like having one from each camp (wood and CF).
Old 05-03-2016, 08:28 PM

I'm with Methos, wood guitars are aesthetically gorgeous, smell fantastic and sound.....well, like wood. That's a good thing.

I only have my Shorty at this point and I've pondered adding a wood guitar to the mix after selling off my Breedlove. However, the experience I'm having with my one and only CF is making me think more along the lines of a radically different CF instrument. I love the impervious nature and the improvements in tone over the years. They are just hard to beat.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
I started out buying a Rainsong Studio OM and I just received my new Studio Drednaught on friday. These are just fantastic guitars in my humble opinion and I don't have to worry about humidity anymore. I got a great deal on the too because the studio series were discontinued. I am also not afraid to gig with them like I was my Martin and Gibson. in the past 6 months I have finally sold all of my wood acoustics and I am very happy with the Rainsongs. They sound great unplugged or amped. I will never look back.
Mind if I ask where you purchase the Rainsongs?
Old 05-03-2016, 09:56 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
I recommend you inquire with Ted at LA Guitars, a forum member and sponsor. Very well regarded. Many AGFers have done business with Ted and have been very satisfied. He tends to follow threads in this CF subforum, so he'll likely post.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
I was looking for the discontinued Studio models because I like the non glossy finish so I bought from Guitar Gal in Nashville and Lark guitars in Texas. I didn't have a choice of dealers but I would have gone with LA Guitars if I wasn't looking for a heavily discounted, discontinued models.
Steve
Gibson SG
Fender Stratocaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber