The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-14-2018, 04:24 PM

Default I'm so sorry I said "O.K."...

We had a Guitar Center open in our town a couple of years ago and I stopped in after they had been open about a year since I was entertaining the purchase of a new Taylor. Five minutes in their "upper end" acoustic guitar room yielded a Baby Taylor and a GS Mini among the usual fare. I was hoping for at least 300 series and higher to select from.

A few months ago I needed a gig bag to supply with a new short scale bass I built for a friend and the store manager who rang me up asked if I wanted to sign up for the e-mail, reassuring me that there would only be an occasional offering and if I signed up I'd receive a special 10% discount for a single item. I thought that indicated ANY item, and since I was getting ready to purchase a new bass amp I reluctantly agreed.

Now I often get up to THREE e-mails a day, and the "special 10% discount" only lists a couple hundred exclusions! Unfortunately I couldn't think of a single item I would purchase that wasn't listed as a excluded manufacturer.

I know I can opt out, and I will, but that's not the point. The good thing is I save a lot of time by just ordering from Sweetwater. (I just purchased a new bass amp and couldn't be happier, it arrived FedEx the end of the next day.) I normally purchase from them and only did the Guitar Center gig bag purchase because I wanted to get the new bass to my friend that day.

I read here about folks buying from them, but it now makes me scratch my head a bit.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:32 PM

I don’t get it. Just click unsubscribe. Done.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:46 PM

I take GC for what is is.
No expectations no problems.
I even order things from them and have the items sent to their store close to me. Free shipping that way.

I'm happy to have a GC near me.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:50 PM

Yeah, a lot of businesses do that emailing, data-mining, and date sharing as the price for participating in a giveaway or other seeming benefit. They only do those offers because it's worth it to them, not because they like you. But I've never had any trouble opting out. If you don't find an unsubscribe option, just email or call. Businesses are pretty wary of getting zapped for misuse of customer info, so if you want out, they customarily comply fast.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:53 PM

I get one or two a week. If it were a problem I would unsubscribe.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Yep, I spent a fair amount of time recently unsubscribing from all the crap I get in my two email addresses I use. Now when I go into GC and they ask for my name or phone number I just hand them the cash and say, "No, thanks..." They take the cash and give me a receipt. I do that with everyone now. Tired of everyone 'mining' my data.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:31 PM

They will honor that 10% coupon on almost any item they have in stock (even the ones on the exclusion lists).

There are a FEW exceptions, Bose being one of them.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
I don’t get it. Just click unsubscribe. Done.
That's what I did.

When the salesman asked for my email address I lightheartedly said "OK if you're not going to letter-bomb me. Are you?" He looked a little sheepish so I figured I'd just see what happens. They're going to get my address anyway since I sometimes order from them online.

I really don't mind getting some emails if they remain relevant and most importantly, if they only send them when there is something worth sending. Unfortunately a lot of businesses just can't hold their water and they overdo it...Sending out daily blurbs with little to offer beyond repetition. It annoys customers who then unsubscribe...A self-defeating practice.

GC is hardly alone in this.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Allot of businesses now days think they can succeed in business by computer this and computer that. They need selection, product and service.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-14-2018, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

I just give them my hotmail address and everything goes to the junk folder. When I log onto my computer at work in the morning I scan the junk folder to see if anything interesting is there and if not hit the empty button. Takes about 30 seconds.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 01-14-2018, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

I use yahoo mail, and have several accounts that I use for what I deem nonsense purposes, i.e. online purchases or any interaction that you know is going to result in an avalanche of useless stuff. This keeps my main account relatively uncluttered.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:27 PM

Email is the way things are these days... I simply use a gmail account for this sort a thing..

I don't pay cash on gear purchases, it's a hassle to get refund.

Plus I consistently get 15% off coupons.. sent from "manager".
I have NEVER had an issue with exclusions.

Not sure what the big deal is?
Old 01-14-2018, 08:27 PM

I have a separate hotmail address that I give to anyone who might spam me with coupons, emails, etc. That helps keep my primary email addresses much cleaner. You have to first earn my trust with good behavior before you get my *real* email address.

But I feel your pain. "Unsubscribe" works maybe 20% of the time, eventually. Mostly you are confirming that it is an active and valid email address, so you get even more spam.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:32 PM

I have no problem with GC. I have only been in the Buffalo, NY store but the staff were polite and they had some pretty decent stock.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:09 PM

Default GC email

I don't understand how it's an issue...Use them when it benefits you, and when it doesn't just ignore, delete and move on with your day. Geez....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion