The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-26-2010, 03:19 PM

Default Need advice on recording acoustic guitar

Hi All,

I'm very keen to start recording some songs (original material and covers) but am unsure as to what gear I need. I am primarily a strummer and have a Martin M-36, not sure if that helps at all.

Anyway, I've been researching some microphones and the Rode NT5 seems popular for recording acoustic guitar and fits into my budget, for one of them anyway. I've noticed that they also sell in pairs though. Do I need 2 or will one be sufficent for a decent recording? I'm not looking for professional results, just something respectable that I can play to friends and family etc. Any tips on mic placement would be great too. I will be recording into a Mackie 1202-VLZ Pro mixer, which has 4 XLR mic preamp inputs, but I'm wondering if it would be worth purchasing an external pre-amp too? Also, I will be recording my girlfriend singing so will need a mic that can handle vocals too.

Sorry for all the questions but I really don't know much about recording so any help and advice from all you knowledgable people would be greatly appreciated!!

Many thanks.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:31 PM

Elliot, I think the nest place for this would be in the Recording section of our forum, so I will move it there.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
Elliot, I think the nest place for this would be in the Recording section of our forum, so I will move it there.
Thanks Louie, I didn't think to post it here!
Old 06-26-2010, 05:44 PM

I haven't ever tried any Rode mics but as it seems the Oktava microphones are better for the price. THink of the MK-012. I have one of them and I love it on my guitar. If you need any sound clips I have a lot lying around.
Mic placement according to taste. I like it on the twelfth fret tilted slightly towards the soundhole. For more bass and less highs, I like to place it over the bridge but still pointed at the twelfth fret.

If you want a vocal mic I'd suggest the MK-319, also from Oktava. It's designed to be somewhat like the Neumann U47, which has some more midrange than like say, the U87. The 47-ish sound (capsule) is ideal for singer/songwriter recordings, as the vocals will occupy a larger area in the spectrum.

If you want both, try the CAD M179. I don't have one yet, it should arrive soon. This is a very cheap multi-pattern mic which apparently sounds very neutral and will work on just about anything you can throw at it.

Lastly there's the OktavaMod (www.oktavamod.com) MJE-K47H which kind of can compete with mics that cost nearly 10 times as much, although this one might be slightly above your budget. I would really want one in the future.

Come to think of it, the M179 is probably the best choice here.

If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask.

HTH
Old 06-26-2010, 11:39 PM

@Cue - Nice!! I have never seen anyone else recommend the Oktavas. I have a matched pair of MK-012s and think they are the cat's pajamas.

As for the question at hand...if you can afford and justify a matched pair of mics for recording in stereo, I would definitely go for it. The difference in sound quality is quite noticeable. Since you already have a good mixer, you probably don't NEED any other mic pre's. I suggest spending your money on a stereo pair for your guitar and a good vocal mic first.

For placement, I use one directly over the soundhole and one next to my left arm (fretting arm). The result is a good blend of note accuracy and warmth. Good luck!

'10 Bourgeois Custom OMC, '90-ish Lowden F22, '09 Simon & Patrick Folk Cutaway, '09 Recording King RO-06, '10 Paco Marin PM 395
'92 Epiphone Les Paul, '11 Grosh ElectraJet
Old 06-27-2010, 03:24 AM

Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate it.

I've had a look at the MK-012 and it looks to be perfect for what I need, and it's in budget! Do you think it could handle vocals too? I also need something to record my electric guitar with and was thinking about getting an SM58 which I guess could also be used for vocals too if the MK-012 wouldn't be suitable, any thoughts?

By the way, I checked out your Youtube page Cue, nice playing man!

Thanks again.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:14 AM

The MK-012 isn't all that great on the vocals. I use it on my amp, which actually works quite well. An SM58 would work quite well on vocals I guess. I however can't use one as my audio interface has a general 48V switch.
Have you checked the M179 yet?

Thanks for checking me out.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:56 AM

Hey Cue, just checked out the M179 and it may be a better option for me due it's all-round ability, seems I could use it for both acoustic and electric guitar as well as vocals. I read a very positive review of it too. I seem to be having trouble finding it from a UK based supplier though, it said on one website that the product had been discontinued?? However, I did manage to find on eBay from a UK seller so it's all good.

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ells84 View Post
Do you think it could handle vocals too?............
It all depends on the voice.

Small diaphragm condensors are not typically used for vocals but you never know until you pair a mic with a singer.

I own a pair of MC-012's which are not good at all on my voice. I also own an
Audio Technica 4051 - another small diaphragm mic- that is better for my voice
than any other mic I've ever used.

Jim McCarthy
Old 06-27-2010, 06:56 AM

Just a heads up, Ells84, be careful about buying an Octava from E-Bay. There are counterfeit/fake Octava's out there, so first do an internet search on them to learn how to spot a fake. I think the Octava web site might have a post on the topic.

Also, do a search in this forum for threads on mics...there have been many with some really good discussions about options. Good luck, and I will look forward to hearing your recordings, that is, if you are going to share with us!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 06-27-2010, 07:20 AM

Thanks for your help guys, and thanks for the heads up Bob1131. I think I'm leaning towards the CAD M179 as it appears that it could handle everything I would use it for.

I may share the results but my guitar playing isn't great! My girlfriends voice, however, is incredible so you guys can listen to that and try to ignore the awful guitar playing!!
Old 06-27-2010, 07:20 AM

You can also get just a single MK-012, I HIGHLY recommend the 3-capsule package. Then get it modded by Michael Joly (a very nice guy) OktavaMod.
I have not done this myself as I'm mostly out of cash and I don't really feel like spending on mikes I already have. I will get both my 012 and 319 modded someday, though.
You can also get a modded MK-319 as it will function on anything, vocals, guitar, heck it can even handle high SPLs so you can try it on a amp/cab.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cue Zephyr View Post
....An SM58 would work quite well on vocals I guess. I however can't use one as my audio interface has a general 48V switch.
The SM58 will not be harmed if supplied with 48v phantom power.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:38 AM

Ah, so it's just ribbon mics that'll get damaged.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:47 AM

To clarify, phantom power was designed to be invisible to devices that don't need it - that's why it's called phantom. It consists of equal voltages on the two hot legs of the three conductor balanced cable. The equal voltages cancel each other out and no current flows, so a dynamic mic (a moving coil or ribbon mic) never sees the phantom power at all

unless something goes wrong. The usual "something that goes wrong" is an XLR connector that is out of spec, allowing one pin to connect later than the others. In this circumstance the unbalanced power might appear while a cable is being plugged or unplugged.

So, turn off phantom when plugging or unplugging.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD