The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-20-2022, 03:24 PM

Default First string change on my X20

I hate changing strings! :-(

I like having new strings. :-)

I just made my first string change on the X20 I got last November. (I have six guitars that I play regularly, so this change is equivalent to a 1 1/2 month cycle if I played it exclusively. Not too bad in my opinion.

I struggled with the pinless bridge. I put the bridge end in first, then attached to the tuner for each string. I’m thinking that it might be better to do it the other way around: tuner first, then deal with the bridge. Does anyone else do that? I found the bridge end kept popping out unless I made things taut, and if I tried to do that at the same time I was pulling on the tuner end to made it taut, I didn’t have enough hands. (I have two.)

But somehow I got it all to work. I put Elixirs on, 12-53, PB. I’m a fan of Elixirs, though not everyone is.

I’m so happy with the way the guitar sounds. It sounded good yesterday, too—but maybe even a little better now. It’s easier to play, I think.

Here’s a question for you all. Do strings wear out faster when the guitar is displayed on a hanger rather than in a case? My Emerald is the one guitar I do that with because a) it’s so beautiful, b) I like having a guitar to grab on a whim, and c) a CF guitar can bear the exposure. But I wonder whether strings oxidize faster or somehow wear down fast hanging on a wall.

If they do, I’m gonna be torn between my desire to display the X20 and my loathing for changing strings!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DB32C4F7-9ADC-4D8F-8AB4-EFB8C88187D3.jpeg (54.5 KB, 134 views)
Emerald X20 2021
Maton EBG 808TE 2011
Stonebridge OM32LMDB 2015
Martin D16e (GC Special) 2020
Taylor GS Mini 2015
Taylor 420 1995
Martin 00-17 1953 (with daughter)
Yamaha 325e 2014 (traded)
Old 08-20-2022, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elninobaby View Post
I hate changing strings! :-(

I like having new strings. :-)

I just made my first string change on the X20 I got last November. (I have six guitars that I play regularly, so this change is equivalent to a 1 1/2 month cycle if I played it exclusively. Not too bad in my opinion.

I struggled with the pinless bridge. I put the bridge end in first, then attached to the tuner for each string. I’m thinking that it might be better to do it the other way around: tuner first, then deal with the bridge. Does anyone else do that? I found the bridge end kept popping out unless I made things taut, and if I tried to do that at the same time I was pulling on the tuner end to made it taut, I didn’t have enough hands. (I have two.)

But somehow I got it all to work. I put Elixirs on, 12-53, PB. I’m a fan of Elixirs, though not everyone is.

I’m so happy with the way the guitar sounds. It sounded good yesterday, too—but maybe even a little better now. It’s easier to play, I think.

Here’s a question for you all. Do strings wear out faster when the guitar is displayed on a hanger rather than in a case? My Emerald is the one guitar I do that with because a) it’s so beautiful, b) I like having a guitar to grab on a whim, and c) a CF guitar can bear the exposure. But I wonder whether strings oxidize faster or somehow wear down fast hanging on a wall.

If they do, I’m gonna be torn between my desire to display the X20 and my loathing for changing strings!
What, You Worry? You now got it Nailed! I'm totally digging your room!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 08-20-2022 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-20-2022, 04:00 PM

The pinless definitely takes a bit of work to get seated. Make sure you DO get it seated the whole way in though.
Old 08-21-2022, 12:00 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, I'm definitely not a fan of the Emerald pinless bridge system and it's one of the reasons (but not the sole reason) that I no longer own one after at one time owning several. You're not alone in your struggles to change strings on their pinless bridge. A few people utilize a pin of some type to hold the string in place, like a golf tee or similar. I used a jewelers screwdriver.

As for strings tarnishing faster when displayed on a wall, possibly. A lot depends on the air quality and how often the guitar gets played. Your best bet is to use a coated string like an Elixir Nano. Those strings will hold up longer to tarnishing for obvious reasons. I always keep all my guitars on the wall, year round. But they also get played (gigged) a lot so the strings changed out frequently.
Old 08-21-2022, 08:21 AM

You just need to give each string a slight (30 degree or so) bend where the wrappings stop on the ball end of the string, then "hook" in under the bridge. I also use a spare bridge pin while I wind the string just to hold it in place until it's tight. Not a big deal.
Old 08-21-2022, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

It helps to put the curvy bend at the ball end before sticking it down the hole. That way you can feel when the ball end is in the slot. To keep it in the slot you can poke a golf tee or chop stick into the hole. Or, there was a recent thread that mentioned sticking the end of a truss rod wrench into the hole. The weight of the handle then naturally keeps the ball end in place. It gets easier.

Last edited by KevinH; 08-26-2022 at 08:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-26-2022, 07:07 AM

i 'hook it' and then use a golf tee in the hole.
Old 08-26-2022, 11:33 AM

Thanks for all the good ideas. It’s been a week and no strings have popped out. And the guitar stays wonderfully in tune. I must have done something right. The next change will be easier.

(I still hate changing strings, though.)

Actually, changing strings isn’t that bad. It’s the THOUGHT of changing strings that turns me off. Does that make sense? Probably not.
Emerald X20 2021
Maton EBG 808TE 2011
Stonebridge OM32LMDB 2015
Martin D16e (GC Special) 2020
Taylor GS Mini 2015
Taylor 420 1995
Martin 00-17 1953 (with daughter)
Yamaha 325e 2014 (traded)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber