The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-13-2024, 02:12 AM

Default Best possible 00-size guitar under 1k

Hi all,

I’m thinking about buying an 00 size guitar to use in my band (mainly through an acoustic amp+pa and a lot of songwriting in the living room). So sound and playability are the biggest selling points, volume is a pre.

What would you guys suggest? My budget is 1k max. I play mostly strum and solo licks.

I find the Eastman e1-00-ss an interesting model as well as the Gibson G00. In the end I will try before I buy but it would be nice to select the right shop to test as many suitable options as possible.
Old 05-13-2024, 03:48 AM
Charter Member

Martin has a 00-X2E for $700 MSRP.

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars...l?cgid=guitars
Old 05-13-2024, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeigel_12000 View Post
it would be nice to select the right shop to test as many suitable options as possible.
It's hard to recommend a shop not knowing where you are. But yes, this is the right approach. Over time, I have become less impressed by the name on the headstock and more by the sound coming out of the soundhole.
Old 05-13-2024, 05:02 AM

I’m not looking for shops but for guitar models, so that I can select a shop myself that carries the most of the recommendations posted here.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
Over time, I have become less impressed by the name on the headstock and more by the sound coming out of the soundhole.

+1 I couldn't agree more. Every guitar is its "own thing"...the tone, responsiveness and playability will vary between individual guitars, brand name not withstanding. I've played expensive duds and surprisingly good sounding cheap all laminates.

I've got a MacKenzie & Marr Opeongo (00-12 long scale) on order...we'll see if it delivers the goods. At $799 USD shipped and a 100% refund guarantee, I decided to give one a test drive.

I can tell you all I know, the where to go,
the what to do
You can try to run but you can't
hide from what's inside of you

Last edited by OddManOut; 05-13-2024 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-13-2024, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Taylor recently expanded their 100 and 200 series lines to include their grand concert (00) size. The 112CE is pretty untouchable for the money. Incredibly playable, ES2 electronics like the most expensive Taylors have, and plays like a Taylor. For something to play live, and something you wanna be able to try before you buy, that would stand to be a leading candidate.
Old 05-13-2024, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Used Martin 00 15.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-13-2024, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post
+1 I couldn't agree more. Every guitar is its "own thing"...the tone, responsiveness and playability will vary between individual guitars, brand name not withstanding. I've played expensive duds and surprisingly good sounding cheap all laminates.

I've got a MacKenzie & Marr Opeongo (00-12 long scale) on order...we'll see if it delivers the goods. At $799 USD shipped and a 100% refund guarantee, I decided to give one a test drive.
Loos right, but it should be a 24.875" scale.
Old 05-14-2024, 11:35 AM

Quote:

That Opeongo looks nice 👍🏻. I’m curious about your findings on that one. They don’t seem to send to the Netherlands though.
Old 05-14-2024, 12:44 PM

One reasonably priced 00 is the Seagull Folk model. I’ve got one and it’s a terrific-sounding guitar, and you should be able to find one well under your budget.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-14-2024, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
****, never heard of them but that looks like a whole lot of guitar for the money. Interested to hear how it sounds. Post a review when you get it!
Old 05-14-2024, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

I can confirm the Seagull folk is pretty darn nice. Mine has a very unique tone, might not be for everyone.

I played a 000 seagull today, I believe it’s the Maritime model with all gloss finish. It was very impressive in fit and finish and tone. Very close to Martin or Eastman. I’m not a huge fan of the bridge shape but still a very nice North American guitar for little money.
Old 05-14-2024, 06:15 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:

That is an impressive guitar for the price! Slotted headstock, neck volute, Grover open tuners, pyramid bridge, herringbone... looks a heck of a lot like a Martin at a fraction of the price... I'm very interested in a review in this. It looks amazing.
Old 05-14-2024, 06:45 PM

Netherlands - surely the place to visit is https://www.tfoa.eu/en/home ... from what I've read, one of the best acoustic guitar shops in Europe, they will be able to help you out...

for instance - https://www.tfoa.eu/en/shop/e1om-eas...ra-model-72072
Old 05-14-2024, 09:56 PM

This spring I bought a couple of 00 size guitars (short scale, 12 fret to body, slot head). I highly recommend the Eastman (E40OO) but it is well over $2k and way over your $1k limit. (The E20OO skips the bling but is still well over $1k.) I also have been quite impressed by a surprisingly inexpensive model - Kala Parlor. Solid cedar top. Only $350! Reviews were very good, and I have a few other Kala instruments (ukes and a UBass) and was already pleased with their quality. At the price, a nice camping/travel instrument even if you also buy a higher priced model. I love this little guitar! Beautiful design choices. Highly recommended.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion