The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-16-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
I ran into the same thing trying to buy a CA GX--not a one to be found in the state of Colorado. I decided that I couldn't drop $3K without trying it first. As much as I'd hate being out, say, $100 in shipping if I didn't like it, it would be worse to be out $3000 if I didn't like it! And if I did keep it, it would only add like 2% to the price of the guitar--less than sales tax, or a new strap and a few sets of strings.

So I found an online dealer with an unconditional 30-day return policy. I got to live (carefully!) with the guitar for a few weeks to make a decision. Worth it to keep from making a several thousand dollar mistake, IMO.
Did you end up keeping it ?
Old 09-16-2016, 05:19 PM

Default Rainsong Shorty SG and Blackbird Lucky 13

I had a Shorty SG before the Blackbird. The Shorty is much louder and brighter sounding guitar and has OM shape so larger lower bout. The 12 fret short scale part is good though. It is crystal clear with good balance and bass. You mentioned heavy neck...i did not find it chunky but the WEIGHT causes it to dip a bit if you are standing and let go since the body is lighter. This is correctable by holding the guitar with the neck pointing up.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrohl View Post
Actually, I was going to send it back anyway because if I liked it, I wanted one with the Fishman Aura electronics (and a different color) which don't seem to be made except for special order. Salesguy was aware of that right off the bat. And after I changed strings and it sounded more like I hoped, I shipped it back in exchange for a Wine Red Burst GX with the Aura that is on order.

tl;dr: I bought a GX but not that exact one.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Actually, I was going to send it back anyway because if I liked it, I wanted one with the Fishman Aura electronics (and a different color) which don't seem to be made except for special order. Salesguy was aware of that right off the bat. And after I changed strings and it sounded more like I hoped, I shipped it back in exchange for a Wine Red Burst GX with the Aura that is on order.

tl;dr: I bought a GX but not that exact one.
I was checking out CA's website and their guitars are beautifully done. I really like the Legacy dread, but holy moly the prices they're asking! You could almost own 2 CF guitars of other builders.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I was checking out CA's website and their guitars are beautifully done. I really like the Legacy dread, but holy moly the prices they're asking! You could almost own 2 CF guitars of other builders.
This probably belongs in the "Composite Acoustics Pricing" thread, but one reason I was willing to pay for the demo is I wanted to take the guitar and give it a head-to-head against other guitars at local shops. Particularly the Taylor 814ce which was my top alternative. To my ears and fingers, the CA held its own against the Taylor at a similar price point.

I wanted the ease of care of CF, love the look, and have always been a sucker for things a little out-of-the-norm. I thought it sounded as good as wood guitars that cost a similar amount, so it was worth it to me. YMMV, of course.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
This probably belongs in the "Composite Acoustics Pricing" thread, but one reason I was willing to pay for the demo is I wanted to take the guitar and give it a head-to-head against other guitars at local shops. Particularly the Taylor 814ce which was my top alternative. To my ears and fingers, the CA held its own against the Taylor at a similar price point.

I wanted the ease of care of CF, love the look, and have always been a sucker for things a little out-of-the-norm. I thought it sounded as good as wood guitars that cost a similar amount, so it was worth it to me. YMMV, of course.
Well, when you line it up with the Taylor 814 that sure changes things, but then again you can buy a lot for $3500!

I read that Composite Acoustics Pricing thread and agree that we determine the price we pay when we agree to meet a given retailers list. When Ted is in the mix I'm even more convinced of the accuracy of a given thread because here we have a guy that is working a successful real-time instrument retail store.

However, that above figure divided by 2 is $1750, and by 4 it's $875. I do think they look and sound sharp, but.....oh my I would be a kid in a candy shop with that kind of money, trying to decide what 2, 3, or 4 guitars I could get with it

But, that's me and it's not my money. If your choice came down to a high end Taylor or the CA you ended up purchasing....cool!

Last edited by steelvibe; 09-17-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:25 PM

I personally prefer to have fewer guitars of higher quality. (I have to clean my keyboard of drool every time I'm over in the Custom Shop area... maybe someday!)

But to bring this back to the original post, he was interested in a Rainsong Shorty which goes for $2000. I don't think I'd spend more than a couple hundred bucks on an instrument without being able to play it first, and definitely not a couple thousand. If you can demo a guitar for a few weeks at a reasonable price (insert your definition of "reasonable"), why not do it?
Old 09-19-2016, 11:57 AM

Ted @ LA Guitar gives you 3 days after you get it to try it out, that is certainly plenty of time to decide. Only downside is shipping, but for those of us in remote areas works out. I did return 2 to them and have kept two. No hassles and if I recall the shipping was at a reduced commercial rate.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:18 PM
Guest 720

I do love the sharks, and had them put on my CO-OM1000NS.
As for the original post, if you are going to mic your guitar, the shorty can get it done since you control your volume in relation to everyone else. I've seem local bands with a RS and do it just fine, fingerstyle and/or strumming.

As said previously, talk to Ted, he'll take care of you!
Old 11-01-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrohl View Post
NO! I did not keep the APSE guitar, had it for a weekend before returning it to Ted.
My reason for not keeping it had nothing to do with the tone, I loved it, the scale, once again I found the neck and length perfect. The satin finish is OK but not my favorite as it tends to fingerprint if you have any oil in your skin and touch the top. All in all I would rate the guitar as very very nice and the workmanship was very good.
Do wish Rainsong would come in a gig bag like Blackbird, case is huge full size and weighs a ton, nice but I would prefer something lighter, I don't feel the heavy cases are needed with these, I like the ease of carry with the bag. JMO
Why did I return it? personal physical limitations, I have been struggling with a neck problem for the last two years and I found the lower bout too large for me to reach over without pain in my back. I play all OO size guitars. Love the OOO size but just was causing me grief.
Since that time, last Tue. the 25th of Oct. I went in for surgery because in three days time I lost all motor skills and use of my right hand, and could not even hold my pick and strum, all coordination between left and right also gone. Very scary and disheartening after 40yrs of daily playing 4 hrs.
I have only been home for three days now, they fixed my spine and I am happy to report I have the full use of both hands back, and NO pain even from the surgery that is worth mentioning. I had one of the top Neuro Surgeons in the country and the hospital Sacred Heart Medical Center in Springfield Or. is top notch with all the latest equipment.
Now I need to regain the strength in my right hand.

Last edited by JerryM; 11-01-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:39 PM

My conclusion after all the turmoil I have gone thru with this is I need a small guitar forever and will most likely not be able to go up over a OO size. I am now considering a Rainsong Parlor or Lucky 13 which I had previously. Tough one because as usual no place to try a Parlor around here closer than about 500 miles and I can't drive for the next month.
Imo one thing seriously lacking in the CF community is availability at dealers where people can try and decide. There are tons of them out there on Ebay and Reverb and dealers like Ted but it's tough to make a decision on a instrument that you don't even get to see prior to the UPS guy bringing it. Granted you can return it but it equates out to about a hundred bucks a trial!!
So I am right at the moment undecided, the Parlor only being a 13" lower seems like it would be the perfect solution as it has the std. short scale and 12 frets I like, the BB is OO size like my others but will require a bit more reach over.
My only concern right now is if I purchase the Parlor will it have enough volume and headroom for my fiddle tune leads and backing vocals, but then I think with the electronics built into it I might be able to overcome what it lacks in size??
Anyway I am in PT now and need a guitar to get back on the horse so to speak I can play on the couch, and I would like whatever to become my permanent festival and outdoor guitar for the coming summer season... I am praying I will be an active part of again........Jerry
Old 11-01-2016, 04:38 PM

Jerry, it is heartening to hear that your surgery was successful and that you are recovering. I went through something similar four years ago this week, and feel truly grateful and blessed to be back to playing (and walking) again within a few months. Playing was a major part of my physical and psychological rehab. I shudder to even think how life would have changed for the worse had the ability to play been lost. My PT started with a ukulele, then my nylon string Taylor, then finally my steel string guitars for 15 minutes at a time. It took months before getting back to 95%. I still need to use a strap almost 100% of the time on all guitars and most ukes.

I've played the RS Parlor at Sam Ash in Phoenix. It did feel and play nice..... but I really should not comment beyond that as I wasn't seriously evaluating it. I only played it because it was there to try, among others. I might be making another trip to AZ for Thanksgiving week, and if so will try to do a comparison with L13 if Sam Ash still has a RS parlor.

I just measured the lower bout of my new Lucky 13, at 14.25" across. In CF the only things smaller will be the Rainsong Parlor (13.3") or the Journey OF-660 (12.5"). Or the Blackbird Rider at 10.5". Don't let the odd form factor fool you - the Rider sounded surprisingly good when I got the chance to play one. A strap or Neck-Up device is mandatory though.

It would be nice if CF guitars were easier to access in stores -- many more would be sold. But it is a chicken-and-egg situation. People need to experience carbon fiber before they can open their minds enough to realize how good CF can be. It was 10-15 years before Taylor guitars were common in stores, and a few more years still before they captured significant market share.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Jerry, hope you find the right guitar to aid in the rehab. Probably won't be able to get a prescription for a RainSong Parlor from the doctor, but you might try to run it by your physical therapist... maybe an insurance item??

Wishing you a full and fast recovery!
Old 11-01-2016, 08:30 PM

Thanks Earl and Capt. Jim, I appreciate the good wishes and Earl I am glad you fully recovered. It's only been a week and my right hand feels much better already.
A few days before surgery I actually found a Journey in a shop and took a 200 mile round trip to try it. I did not care for it at all. Just didn't fit me well and I didn't think it sounded that great and the volume acoustically to me seemed low. But,that is JMO and many love them. The Rainsong I had IMO was Much more guitar and I enjoyed the tone more and it was not lacking in volume.
I had a Lucky 13 for a couple of months and I thought it was a really nice guitar, my only complaint the top port. But it is the same size as my Martin OO so I could just use it, I need something smaller but like full scale.
I discount the Kevin M for the short scale.
I think the RS Parlor is the guitar I need to try......thanks again fellas...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber