The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-03-2016, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Default Composite Acoustics Pricing?

I've just noticed on Sweetwater that the MAP price of the latest Composite Acoustics Legacy Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric Satin RAW displayed on their site has jumped $300 since the last one was sold a couple of weeks ago. The MAP prices of gloss models of various shapes have only jumped about $100 in the last couple of months (maybe they were purchased before a further price increase?). Why the large price increase in the RAW Dreadnought model? Is it so popular that CA feels they can sell it for the current higher price? Maybe the price on the Sweetwater site is incorrect? Can anyone add any insight about Composite Acoustics pricing? Thanks.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-08-2016, 12:08 PM

If you go back and do a search, you will see than when CA shut down in 2010, I predicted that if the brand ever comes back, prices will need to be raised, and Peavey has done just that. As I recall, MAP on the RAW Cargo was $799 when they first came out, but at that price CA was loosing money on every one of them.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:21 PM

FWIW, we bought a CA Cargo with electronics for just over $1200 out the door with sales tax about two years ago - slight discount for cash. When visiting the LGS (local guitar store) on Monday afternoon, the exact same guitar was tagged at $1799 plus tax. Glad my wife decided promptly and bought when she did. Makes me wish I had bought one of the original Cargo's in Hilo, HI back in 2009 before the original CA went under. It would have been about $800. But I did not want to carry an extra guitar home on the airplane. We were there for Aloha Music Camp, and I already had a camp guitar and ukulele to check along with a suitcase.

I happen to like the RAW finish, and I see how it can save some time and labor buffing out glossy finishes. But it does not seem to translate into much savings in the final price. The presence or lack of electronics makes more difference. As Ted said, it appears like the Peavey price is more realistic and sustainable now.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:06 PM
Guest 928

I had both pre- and post-Peavey Cargos. I think it's a great instrument, but I find the new price mentioned to be out of line.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I had both pre- and post-Peavey Cargos. I think it's a great instrument, but I find the new price mentioned to be out of line.
Perception can be a powerful thing. IMO, if CA had been charging $1200 for the Cargo RAW instead of $799 back in 2009, they wouldn't have gone out of business, and you wouldn't think the current $1399 price is out of line. Yes, there is a bigger market for an $800 guitar than one selling at $1200, but I think there were tons of people buying them at $799 who could also afford to pay $1200.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:43 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Wow, I bought my Cargo (Road Tough finish, with electronics) in March '08 for $750 all in. At that time I had been reading all the hype about the Cargo and when my travel guitar, an '06 Baby Taylor had just got smashed beyond repair and I was aware of the Cargo, I found one in Texas and had it shipped to me while I was vacationing in Florida (from Canada). Although I could've afforded a higher price, I doubt I would have paid $1,200. I'm just glad I bought it because I've always loved it.

It's in great shape, never gigged...not that I'd consider selling it, but I'm curious as to what I could get for it, especially since our Cdn dollar is so low compared to the U.S. buck. Anybody know?
Old 09-08-2016, 05:31 PM

I regret returning my $799. Cargo.

I really liked the guitar, but it wasn't the sound I as looking for in a small guitar back then. Only had it a little more than a a week.

Now I find myself needing a small CF guitar. Life goes on.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

My Cargos were each $799 (or maybe somewhat less than that) back in 2007/2008. I bought two, and then when CA Guitars was going out of business, my wife actually insisted I purchase another, since we didn't think these would ever be produced again. All three of mine are the wine-colored RT finish with no factory electronics. I had K & K pickups installed in all three later on.

If these were selling for $1200, I would not have bought any. I have absolutely no idea how many of those who bought at $799 would have bought at $1200, so I really can't say whether CA Guitars would have sold enough to stay afloat at that price, or speculate on anything else regarding CA Guitars and their marketing practices. A price is set by the seller, and I decide, as consumer, whether that price is worth the item to me.

I think we each establish a sense of what a given item is worth to us. For some, $1200+ for a Cargo is perfectly acceptable, while for others, it would not be. It is just a matter of what something is worth to us individually, and is a purchase decision we each make, separately from what somebody does or thinks it should be. To me, one good measure of what value a given item has for me is to think of it in terms of how many hours I would have to work to earn the money to buy it. Everybody has their own means of making these decisions.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 09-08-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
My Cargos were each $799 (or maybe somewhat less than that) back in 2007/2008. I bought two, and then when CA Guitars was going out of business, my wife actually insisted I purchase another, since we didn't think these would ever be produced again...

...If these were selling for $1200, I would not have bought any

Tony
So you spent $2400 on three Cargos, but if they were $1200 each, you would not have bought any? Interesting, I would think anyone willing to spend $2400 on three Cargos, would have no problem buying at least one at $1200.

BTW, I also have three Cargos, a gloss black given to me by CA, and two charcoal RT models I bought used for just over $700 each, shortly after CA went under. Awesome little guitars.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

I've got a Cargo Raw that was about $800-$900. So, I've watched in amazement as the price has shot up.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:18 PM

I have never own a Cargo but have briefly tried a used one in a local store as these are not available in Australia.

Nevertheless back to the point, back then say 2007/2008 if CA Cargo was selling at $1,200-$1,400, yes I probably would have still bought one.

But at $1,200 - $1,400 now, I won't mainly due to more competition out there (Blackbird Rider, Journey Carbon Fiber, Rainsong Parlor etc)
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 09-09-2016, 05:33 AM

I would never have bought one at $1200. I still think they're only worth about $800.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:47 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
I have never own a Cargo but have briefly tried a used one in a local store as these are not available in Australia.

Nevertheless back to the point, back then say 2007/2008 if CA Cargo was selling at $1,200-$1,400, yes I probably would have still bought one.

But at $1,200 - $1,400 now, I won't mainly due to more competition out there (Blackbird Rider, Journey Carbon Fiber, Rainsong Parlor etc)
Or Emerald X7.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post

Exactly. At $1200 the Cargo would have still sold, and more than likely allowed the company to stay afloat, but the Rainsong Parlor, which was developed during the time CA was down, is a far superior travel friendly guitar. For a $150 more, you can get a satin Rainsong Parlor that feels, plays and sounds like a real guitar, with superior electronics. They are also available without electronics, and if you decide to add them later, they will accept any electronics without modification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post
I would never have bought one at $1200. I still think they're only worth about $800.
Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Or Emerald X7.
To be fair, in 2009, I was selling the Emerald X7 for the same exact price as the Cargo RAW, and today, the X7 will still cost you the same as the Cargo RAW, factory direct. Not sure why folks aren't complaining about that, but it's clear both companies needed to make a price adjustment if they were to survive.

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 09-09-2016 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post

To be fair, in 2009, I was selling the Emerald X7 for the same exact price as the Cargo RAW, and today, the X7 will still cost you the same as the Cargo RAW, factory direct. Not sure why folks aren't complaining about that, but it's clear both companies needed to make a price adjustment if they were to survive.
Unless it has changed in the last week, an X7 Opus costs $995 delivered. I think it's a much nicer guitar than the Cargo RAW as well.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber