The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-29-2024, 07:49 PM

I stopped playing electric shortly after high school and switched to acoustic Bluegrass flat pickin.

In the last year or so I have started transitioning my acoustic songs over to electric. Not all of them will work but most of them do.

I’m using a 70th Ann production line Broadcaster through a 57 custom champ or a 57 custom deluxe. I take these to open mics and jams.

As for electric players not being able to play at home. That is a lot of codswallop.

As I write this, my broadcaster and 57 champ are sitting on the couch to my left and I have my feet up on the 57 custom deluxe and I’m runnin through songs to do for an open mic.

Both of these amps with that guitar work really well at low level for vocal unmic’d and if I’m singing through a PA someplace then just turn them up a bit.

One of the songs that I do is Van Zandt’s Waitin Round to Die and I like throwin some electric lead parts in with the Broadcaster. Same for a lot of other songs.

There’s no rules, if you use your feet to play your guitar and it sounds real good then that is that.
Old 04-29-2024, 08:50 PM

As a 12-year-old boy from Kalamazoo, my first Gibson guitar, a 1968 Cherry Red ES335, was obtained from my Mom and Dad through the good offices of my Uncle Dick, who worked at the factory and received a nice employee discount.
That beautiful guitar had a place in my bed and in my dreams. Used in bands that played Eagles Clubs, VFWs. Grange gatherings, high school dances and wedding receptions, the 335 was my most valuable possession as I as tried mightily to meet the potential it represented.
Around the age of 16, I accepted the limits of my musical abilities and focused on enjoying my relationship with music and the people in music, rather than unlikely stardom.
When I married in my mid-20s, I traded my 335 for an Ovation. Has anyone ever made a more ill-considered trade?
All acoustic all the time through the 80s and 90s before I answered the siren call of the Geezer Band and picked up a Telecaster and Princeton Reverb.
By 2005 I'd returned to the acoustic sound and begqn to acquire multiple guitars that offer tonal variety.
Isn't the guitar life a wonderful thing?
Old 04-29-2024, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

I prefer listening to acoustic over electric. Acoustic music is my jam!
Old 04-30-2024, 03:07 AM

Going to folk clubs in the mid-60s started me off down the path of acoustic ( 1920s blues/ragtime/jugband/ John Fahey ), expanded in the 70s into 20s tin-pan- alley, then in the 80s sort of swerved into the world of electric, playing at various times Chicago blues, oldies rock'n'roll, Western swing, etc - mostly just for the experience of playing these different kinds of music, rather than any strong commitment to a particular genre; having got that out of my system by the mid '90s, & with my hearing still mercifully intact, I returned happily to the world of acoustic jazz/roots, where I continue to reside, often in jams with pals - I guess I'm just musically promiscuous..
Old 04-30-2024, 05:16 AM

When I was younger and playing in rock bands I played electric all the time and rarely played acoustic. Now that I'm no longer playing in the bands I play electric about 1% of the time.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 04-30-2024, 05:58 AM

I started playing aged 40. I played electric for several years, not really getting anywhere in terms of progression and competence.

I gave acoustic a try and haven't look back. I still own electrics but play them very rarely.
Old 04-30-2024, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, I have a similar story. Started out playing acoustics when I was a teenager then quickly converted to electric to be in a band. I played mostly electrics in rock and roll bands for around 50 years, but I always had an acoustic or two to fiddle around with at home. So acoustics have always been with me, but not to extent of electrics.

Now I'm 73 and all my electrics are pretty much gathering dust also. Now 99% of my playing is done on acoustics. I honestly think it will be that way until I can no longer hold one in these old hands.

There's something so beautiful, honest, and fundamental about playing an acoustic guitar. I love them.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 05-01-2024, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Played electric guitars in loud bar bands for 40+ years (since the 70s), then got tired of fussy/contentious band dynamics - and started going deaf. So I stopped.

Took a few years off and then got into playing open mic covers as half of an acoustic duo. Was all acoustic by age 60 (8 years ago). I was afraid I would, but I don't miss electrics at all.

Last edited by tinnitus; 05-01-2024 at 09:55 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion