The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-31-2021, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Default Bose S1 Pro Versus Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge - New Video comparison

I made a new/current comparison of a Bose S1 Pro versus a Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge. I hope it gives a useful comparison and contrast. I am not really declaring a winner or loser, but overall for my gigging needs, I am using the Bose S1 Pro more ...as a monitor, extension speaker or for super small amplified needs when my Bose L1 Pro8 is not called for. For home playing however, I plug into the Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge first every time. It is exceptional natural and neutral sounding.

Your thoughts are always welcome.

Collings D1 Traditional
Collings OM1C
Martin OM-28 Custom Cutaway
Gibson EC Ebony Songwriter Custom
Emerald X20
Emerald X30
Martin OMC-28 Custom
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Fender 61 Wildwood 10 Strat
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC

www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 06-01-2021 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-01-2021, 05:02 AM
Charter Member

Both sound good... more to the point: I am truly enjoying your playing. Thanks for the A-B comparison.

Old 06-01-2021, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Yo Groby-one-ka’nobi,
I owned a mini for years and loved it, but sold it to a friend who needed an amp so I have a lot of experience with them. Now while I don’t own an S1, I’ve borrowed my mando player buddy’s one for some gigs because I needed the battery operated and mobility of an S1, so I have good gigging experience with it too.
I found the Fishman to have a flatter frequency response lending a more balanced and natural tone in my experience as well as in your excellent video. On the other hand, the S1 had a sort of hi-fi quality about it that sounds cool. Also I found the S1 sound to develop better at a farther distance then the more immediate of the Fishman at my shows, though I can’t hear that on your video.
Both sound lovely however for my sound I prefer the Fishman and it’s EQ versatility, and I find it has more thump on the low end. But the S1 is satisfying and so easy!
Great video and playing as always brohemian, thank you for this fun comparison!

eric
Old 06-01-2021, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Great review, thanks for the real life comparison.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Hi Groberts, thanks for a very helpful video showing the differences between the Mini and the S1. Listening on my inexpensive Behringer studio monitors, i thought the S1 sounded richer. The Mini had a little more clarity, but to my ears not as full. Almost like the Mini had more focus, but the S1 was more hi-fi like.

In my own A/B with the S1 and a Loudbox Artist, the Artist sounds a bit nasal in tone then the S1. The Artist does still sound good and with a bit more SPL, but I prefer to use the S1 as my main gigging amp. For me, the S1 does vocals really well and the guitar still sounds good.

Thanks again for a great video.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 06-01-2021, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Yo Groby-one-ka’nobi,
I owned a mini for years and loved it, but sold it to a friend who needed an amp so I have a lot of experience with them. Now while I don’t own an S1, I’ve borrowed my mando player buddy’s one for some gigs because I needed the battery operated and mobility of an S1, so I have good gigging experience with it too.
I found the Fishman to have a flatter frequency response lending a more balanced and natural tone in my experience as well as in your excellent video. On the other hand, the S1 had a sort of hi-fi quality about it that sounds cool. Also I found the S1 sound to develop better at a farther distance then the more immediate of the Fishman at my shows, though I can’t hear that on your video.
Both sound lovely however for my sound I prefer the Fishman and it’s EQ versatility, and I find it has more thump on the low end. But the S1 is satisfying and so easy!
Great video and playing as always brohemian, thank you for this fun comparison!

eric
Hi Eric, Thanks for weighing in. You know Fishman Loudboxes better than anyone I personally know since you have been gigging the LB Performer for so long, along with plenty of experience with the LB Mini and Artist.

When I am at home, I plug into the Mini for personal pleasure. The Bose S1 Pro sounds fine, but the LB Mini Charge is always so natural sounding. I Love it. I also run a DI Line-out from the LB Mini Charge to the Bose S1 Pro for a broader sound stage in my home studio. Why? Because I can. I'm not sure it really sounds any better. I mostly use the Fishman as the primary main sound. The Preamp controls with the midrange EQ allows me more flexibility to shape my tone.

I agree with you and another post that referenced the Bose S1 Pro as sounding more "Hi-fi." I completely agree with this. I also agree the Bose S1 Pro throws sound with greater dispersion. I simply can't demo that on a Youtube video in my small home studio room. I'm really glad you mentioned that. I may have alluded to the Bose S1 Pro offering more flexibility in terms of dispersion and positions in which it can be placed. Truly a professional piece of kit ..as they say.
Collings D1 Traditional
Collings OM1C
Martin OM-28 Custom Cutaway
Gibson EC Ebony Songwriter Custom
Emerald X20
Emerald X30
Martin OMC-28 Custom
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Fender 61 Wildwood 10 Strat
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC

www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 06-01-2021, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I also run a DI Line-out from the LB Mini Charge to the Bose S1 Pro for a broader sound stage in my home studio. Why? Because I can.
The fate of a true gearhead! I have nothing to add other than thanking you for all your videos. More than once I've pointed folks to specific vids on your YouTube channel when they've asked about the Bose line. Just so clear, honest and helpful.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification