The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-10-2009, 05:36 PM

Default Gibson J-45 vs. Martin HD-28

Can anyone explain to me the difference in sound between these two. I have a Martin HD-28 that I love, but the smaller body of the Gibson is interesting to me. How would any of you characterize the difference between the two. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:41 PM

I don't think a J-45 is smaller than a Martin dreadnought. It's a tiny bit wider across the lower bout (1/4" or so) and maybe a tiny bit shallower in the depth (1/8" or so) and about the same length overall. What dimension were you thinking is smaller?

Unless I have my Gibson models crossed-up which is entirely possible...
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 06-10-2009, 05:58 PM

J-45 is roughly similar in size, with a shorter scale length. The scale length affects both playability and tone.
I've always been a Gibson guy but there are some amazing Martins out there too.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique
Old 06-10-2009, 06:00 PM

Brent's right. The lower bout is a little bigger, the waist is a little smaller, and the shoulders are rounded. The J45 is a short scale, which lowers the string tension a little. Tonewise, to my ears a J45 is a little more mellow, and woody sounding than a HD28.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:04 PM

Both guitars sound wonderful. The Martin with the Rosewood back and sides vs the Gibson with the Mahogany back and sides produce very different sounds. The mahogany is a more mellow sounding wood (softer) than the Rosewood. If the J45 is smaller it's certainly not much and it's really not considered to be a smaller size guitar.

Peace
Old 06-10-2009, 07:41 PM

this isn't me. i wish it were because it would mean i would have both of these guitars. (someday)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_mnND7apwk

obviously not the same as getting out and playing them yourself. but the differences are evident in this little test. personally i think the martin sounds better for flatpicking and the gibson nails the folksy fingerstyle vibe. both great guitars and you can't go wrong with either.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:56 PM

Mahogany/Rosewood, Vanilla/Chocolate, Apples/Oranges...

Why don't you trying playing one and find out for yourself? Our words are no substitute for your ears.

BTW I own both and love 'em because they are very different from each other.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
this isn't me. i wish it were because it would mean i would have both of these guitars. (someday)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_mnND7apwk

obviously not the same as getting out and playing them yourself. but the differences are evident in this little test. personally i think the martin sounds better for flatpicking and the gibson nails the folksy fingerstyle vibe. both great guitars and you can't go wrong with either.
Wow, this answers my question! Thanks.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:14 PM

I definitely favor the Martin sound in that video. Much of it likely due to different back and sides. The Gibby is more mellow-not quite the "cut" or ring of that HD w/rosewood. I know by now I gravitate much more strongly to the rosewood sound. Personal pref. Doesn't mean one is better, one worse. Just different beasts altogether.

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 06-11-2009, 12:01 AM

A helluva choice. I personally prefer the warm and friendly sound of a good J-45. A shining example of each is optimal.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaneallen View Post
Can anyone explain to me the difference in sound between these two. I have a Martin HD-28 that I love, but the smaller body of the Gibson is interesting to me. How would any of you characterize the difference between the two. Thanks.
The sound of an HD-28 compared to a J-45 is just so, so different I don't know where to start. The video and recording that someone else here has posted does not at all make it clear how really different they sound. Not only are they built with different woods, but, more importantly, the bracing and overall design is quite different

It's impossible to put these things into words. You really have to try a J-45 for yourself and you'll hear it immediately.

Jim McCarthy
Old 06-11-2009, 03:01 AM

I own both & will never part with either.

The Gibson is smaller (scale) & much lighter in weight. Neck widths are similar to my "feel". My Gibson is a sunburst finish & the neck is also a "gloss" finish, which makes it feel different (can get a bit "sticky" if my hands sweat) to the matt finish on the Martin neck.

In terms of sound to my fairly naive ears, the Gibson is quieter but with more direct attack, which falls away quicker. The Martin is much louder & has more sustain. I like both but tend to use the J-45 more for fingerstyle stuff or just mucking around on the "couch", whilst the HD-28 suits me better for flatpicking & heavy strumming stuff.

2018 Hinde custom 2 point Mandolin
2016 Kentucky KM-950 Mandolin
2016 Waterloo WL14 XTR "Tuxedo"
2015 Larrivee All-Hog 000-03 "Vintage"
2014 Ken Miller short scale slope dread
2011 Gibson "New Vintage" Southern Jumbo
2008 Fender Telecaster
Old 06-11-2009, 03:30 AM

They're both nice guitars. I don't have anything I really dislike about either of them. Describing sound with words is like translating a few times. From my ears to my words to your ears. And we don't have a complete consensus on the words we use to describe sound. Some information is bound to be left out and misrepresented.

There's no subtitute to listening and hearing for yourself. I have a J-45, and although I don't play it much anymore, it was the best guitar I ever encountered before discovering small workshop makers.

I'm an unmet friend of the honest, hardworking, knowledgeable guitar builder.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:50 AM

Have an old J-45 which I love. To me the Martin is brighter and I think better made. The Gibson with its sunburst has just the "look" and the sound is to me mellower and more personal.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 06-11-2009, 06:27 AM

To me a guy really should have both.

Steel and Wood, "Listen closely and she'll tell you her secrets" RG

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion