The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-27-2024, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Default Yamaha FG9M Dreadnought Reviewed By J.P. Cormier

The newly-released Yamaha FG9M (also available in FG9R rosewood) sounds so good in this video and for USD $4023, it may talk you out of buying your next Martin dreadnought.

Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 04-27-2024 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-27-2024, 12:03 PM

If you waltz over the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum (umgf.com) and click on "The Guitar Critic's Corner" the first thread up is a lengthy give-and-take on this new Yamaha model, with several references to the J.D. Cormier review. Makes for an interesting and enlightening read. Most people seem to be of one of two minds about Cormier's guitar reviews--you either appreciate or don't. Not much middle ground. I myself always have enjoyed his insights, taken with the caveat that he, like all of us, has his certain axes to grind. But he's a monster player and has pertinent things, mostly, to say. As far as this Yamaha model is concerned, I haven't played one yet, but I have listened closely to everything I could find on the web and I like it--a lot. Clean lines, well-considered design, excellent craftsmanship. I think Yamaha is trying to get a foot into the so-called "bluegrass" world with the FG9, positioning the price at about that of a nice Martin but not at that of a nice Collings, which would be about $2,500 more. But I think this guitar can also do a lot more than bluegrass. I know it resembles a dreadnought, but somehow it reminds me almost more of the Martin OOOO design, for some reason, which is my favorite guitar design. Can do everything from simple strumming to fast pick work to fingerstyle blues and on.
Old 04-27-2024, 12:34 PM

Once again I tried. Got about half way. I just can't watch that guy without gagging on the hyperbole. It's always the same.

He can play though. And, I do like Yamahas.
Schecter SV Shredder

“Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being real gets you hated.” ~ Johnny Cash (1932-2003)
Old 04-27-2024, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
Once again I tried. Got about half way. I just can't watch that guy without gagging on the hyperbole. It's always the same.

He can play though. And, I do like Yamahas.
+1. J.P. does laud whatever he's reviewing and it gets repetitive after several reviews but, Yes!, he can play!
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 04-27-2024, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Let me help you out. You don’t need to watch the review. I enjoy his show and reviews but in this case…don’t need it. I have played one. It was THE best sounding 14 fret dread I have ever played within 1000.00 either way. I have probably played around 100 Martin Hd and D 28 over the years. None
Could touch the Yam I played at Harry’s Guitar shop in Raleigh MC a few months ago. That guitar is gone of course. Fit, finish, sound, playability, etc absolutely fantastic. Compared to the small builders stuff I have played, the Yam stands right with the best of them to my ear and hands. But, I absolutely HATE that **** pick guard lol. I am a short scale
Guy now and I love the guitars I have…but if I had money to blow, I would have walked out with that guitar. Maybe they are not all that good, I don’t know, but that one was.
Old 04-27-2024, 02:34 PM

I don't have any problem with this review. I get sincerity from this, I don't think you can fake that kind of enjoyment or the smile when you play something that just sounds right. I am a fan of Yamaha for sure and I can see if you are a big Martin, Gibson, or Taylor lover that the review might bug you, but I don't think he is trying to anger those folks, he just feels this guitar is better.

He can really play also and he will be doing workshop and house concert for me this September. I am excited to meet him in person and to hang out. Maybe I will have a better feel for him after that, but as of now, I think he truly thinks this is a special guitar and from how it sounded, I would have to agree. If you want to come and meet him and see for yourself what kind of guy he is in person, reach out to me and I can make that happen.
Old 04-27-2024, 02:47 PM

Default Yamaha FG9M Dreadnought Reviewed By J.P. Cormier

I’ve played two of the rosewood and one of the mahogany FG-9s. They are really nice guitars. I would say excellent. I was thinking very seriously about buying one. But, I do prefer my Martin custom dreadnought. It’s not a night a day difference, but a personal preference in tone. Both sound huge and resonant. Made with the same materials and craftsmanship. The bolt on neck that Yamaha used for the first time on this model is intended to project the tone forward, so you don’t feel as much resonance in your hands. The Yamaha is probably louder in some parts of the room, much like a Collings.
Old 04-27-2024, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
+1. J.P. does laud whatever he's reviewing and it gets repetitive after several reviews but, Yes!, he can play!

Yes, he’s a lover of good guitars and gushes over a lot of good guitars. His superlatives aren’t to be taken too seriously.
Old 04-27-2024, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Aside from the hyperbole and gushing, it sounds very rich and resonant, has great tone and looks great. The guitar speaks for itself.
Collings D1 Traditional
Collings OM1C
Martin OM-28 Custom Cutaway
Gibson EC Ebony Songwriter Custom
Emerald X20
Emerald X30
Martin OMC-28 Custom
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Fender 61 Wildwood 10 Strat
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC

www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 04-27-2024, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

I think JP's probably a nice honest guy, he just loves all guitars too much. So you have to take his reviews with a pinch of salt .

I prefer something like this.
Go to 4.15 to get straight to the demo.
https://youtu.be/x1YnZtBnmIQ?si=luPCzS5tLeqfkhCV
Old 04-27-2024, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post
I think JP's probably a nice honest guy, he just loves all guitars too much. So you have to take his reviews with a pinch of salt .
Not all guitars.
And one video of his where he tries to defend his relentless Martin bashing, that he's been called out for, he cites that how can a company that produces so many guitars get it mostly right?

Did you watch the video in this thread? hmmm...

"pinch of salt"? I'll say.

Look everyone sees what they see and likes what they like.
Schecter SV Shredder

“Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being real gets you hated.” ~ Johnny Cash (1932-2003)

Last edited by Corndog; 04-27-2024 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-27-2024, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
Not all guitars.
And one video of his where he tries to defend his relentless Martin bashing, that he's been called out for, he cites that how can a company that produces so many guitars get it mostly right?

Did you watch the video in this thread? hmmm...

"pinch of salt"? I'll say.

Look everyone sees what they see and likes what they like. For me, Cormier comes off as a huckster.
I think you have made your opinion quite clear. I don't think name calling is constructive and the AGF does have rule number 1 to be followed.
Old 04-27-2024, 04:26 PM

Point taken.
I deleted the last sentence.
Schecter SV Shredder

Old 04-27-2024, 06:16 PM

I have a Yamaha FG9M. Bought it this past December. #76

I’ll tell you straight up anything you want to know about it. No gushing.

But ponder this: it’s not expensive. It’s a bargain.
Old 04-27-2024, 08:52 PM

I thought seriously about buying the rosewood version. My local shop has one. I spent a couple of hours playing it and it is very, very nice. Fit and finish are excellent. The rosewood was beautiful. The fret markers are very cool and I loved the whole aesthetic vibe except for the truss rod cover. Very minor deail and totally personal. The tone was great. For a Dreadnaught I felt like the bass response was very tight and not boomy at all. Good mid range with a very sparkly top end.

The only thing I didn't like was the truss rod cover but thats so minor. I ended up buying a limited edition Bedell OM that spoke to me but the Yamaha was very impressive.

I'd love to get my hands on a mahogany version.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion