The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-30-2024, 06:25 PM

Default K&K pure mini in a Blackbird

I have installed a K&K mini in a wooden Taylor, but not a CF guitar. Have one ready to put into my Lucky 13. While refreshing my memory on installation, I found several references to the "frettech" method. Seems those links are defunct.
Any tips to make this as simple as possible? A link to your fav instructional video would be great. If it involves a CF model, so much the better!
Cheers
Old 05-02-2024, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

I'm not familiar with the frettech method and I've not installed a K&K, but I did install a James May Ultratonic in my X-20. You could use a similar technique, which employs strong magnets to position the pickups where you want them. Find the position (on the guitar top) where you want the sensor to go and put a blob of tac putty there. Stick a Neodymium magnet into the putty, like this:

ut.jpg

Take a second magnet and put a blob of putty on it, then stick the sensor into the putty so the magnet is now temporarily stuck to the sensor. Apply epoxy to the exposed side of the sensor. With this assembly in hand reach inside the guitar and let the magnets align themselves. This puts the sensor at the location you want and also holds it in place until the epoxy cures.

You should "dry fit" the sensor once or twice before applying the epoxy to be sure it's working like you want. And, of course, be sure you get the second magnet oriented so it will be attracted to, not repelled from, the first one.
Old 05-06-2024, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwandsh View Post
I have installed a K&K mini in a wooden Taylor, but not a CF guitar. Have one ready to put into my Lucky 13. While refreshing my memory on installation, I found several references to the "frettech" method. Seems those links are defunct.
Any tips to make this as simple as possible? A link to your fav instructional video would be great. If it involves a CF model, so much the better!
Cheers
Here's the "frettech" method. I'm not a fan of doing three transducers at once.

"three at once" K&K Pure Mini instsallation

The Blackbird Lucky 13 has a traditional sound hole, so I'd advise taking a look inside to see if the area directly under the bridge saddle is clear for gluing the three transducers in position.

Go to K&K's website and download the excellent Pure Mini installation instructions so you can see what's normally involved.

I posted several installation tips in the "K&K Pure Mini Installation Tips" topic here on AGF. You might benefit by reviewing that topic.

Here's my latest PM installation in a classical guitar with a small sound hole. There's a plastic mirror laying in the bottom to see the bridge plate clearly, and a $2 "cat laser play toy" yoke to guide and hold each transducer disc at they are installed.

Last edited by Rudy4; 05-06-2024 at 07:20 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber