The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-19-2016, 08:39 PM

Question Best pickup to move between guitars? Baggs M80 or other?

Hi guys - I've got some vintage Martins including one 12-string that I'd like to use for live work.

I'd like to use a pickup that attaches and does not require drilling, so I'm considering an LR Baggs M80 since you can attach an external cable and run the signal out that way.

Are there any other/better options from experience?

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2016, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

That would be my choice. Use carefully...
Old 09-20-2016, 03:26 AM

Fisherman Rare Earth.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FZQ2gQodUL0BiA

Lawrence A245C
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acous...undhole-pickup
Old 09-20-2016, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

I've tried a good many Mag pickups and the M80 is a very good one indeed.

One I may even like a little better if you don't need it to be active is the DiMarzio Angel. I really am digging it's very sweet tone.
Iris OG Model Tuxedo Finish
Iris AB Model Big Leaf Maple B/S
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 09-20-2016, 07:00 AM

I can't vouch for anything except my Sunrise, which is really great in all aspects, however, I would imagine those spring-operated Bill Lawrence pickups would be really good (and not too expensive) to move around between guitars. They also seem to sound pretty **** good. I've seen some videos of Michael Hedges in his early days using a Bill Lawrence in combination with some Barcus-Berry soundboard transducer. And for acoustic amplification in the late 70's and early 80's, his sound was really, really great easily rivalling most of the acoustic amplified sound I've heard.

This clip (besides showing his ridiculous virtuosity) shows what I mean. Warm lows, articulate mids and crystal clear highs (if you look aside the quality of the old tape it was recorded on):
Old 09-20-2016, 07:32 AM

The M80 is great sounding, and you can actually buy multiple end-pin jacks with short cords that end in a 1/8" plug (I think they run about $20)....Install in all the guitars you want, and just move the pickup itself from guitar to guitar and plug in the cord. Very easy and practical. You may have to adjust pole pieces for each guitar, but that is pretty simple procedure. I loved the battery indicator on the M80 as well.

I have hear the Fishman rare earth blend sound very nice, but it comes with a hard-wired 6 or 10 foot cord attached....seems cumbersome to deal with.

Good luck.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:36 PM

Thanks for the replies. I heard some of the earlier LR Baggs soundhole pickups and thought they were electric-y sounding so I wasn't sure if the M80 would be any different. Seems like the best option at this point!
Old 09-20-2016, 08:27 PM

I will mention the Shertler pickup for the soundhole. Not sure the model or name but they make one that has a more warm and calm tone than the M80 though I still prefer the M80. The Shertler has a jack out the side for the short cord to the end piece as well as a separate hole for the internal mic and there is a wheel adjustment for that second hole for the mic determining how much you want of that signal.....so there is that blend that the M80 does not have....wish it did.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 09-20-2016, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

One pickup that folks don't seem to talk about much is the Fishman Blackstack. It's purported to be similar to a Sunrise, and it has a detachable lead so that it can use a cable coming out of the soundhole or be wired into the guitar, but easily removable/moved to another guitar. Can't say how it stacks up to other soundhole pickups, but it's another viable choice.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:45 AM

I don't have experience with too many different pickups to compare but the Schertler MAG-6 with S-MIC is really good. I liked it so much, I bought two sets so I didn't have to keep switching between guitars. The advantage of the active pickup and the mic is there is no need for a preamp. I've tried running it through a DTAR Solstice and it wasn't any better than when running it through just an EQ pedal.
I did install JJB SBTs in one of my guitars and when running through a good preamp like the Solstice and using a lavalier mic as a second source, it sounds as good as the Shertler combo. I mention this because originally I was in the same boat as you. I wanted something that didn't require drilling and something I could remove and use in several guitars. Now that I've been plugging in for the last six months, for some reason, I don't have the same concerns and now I'm not opposed to a permanent installation which I did with the JJB in one and the Schertler Combo in another guitar (installed the endpin jack). I have the extra set of the Schertler combo if you are interested, I'll give it to you at a good price and it's basically new. PM me if interested.

Last edited by Fret-O'File; 09-21-2016 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

I gig with an M80 in my Martin D18...love the features, looks & ability to pick up percussive tones. IMHO it excels in flesh, fingerstyle attack with a surprising natural tone. Here's mine plugged straight in to a Loudbox Mini:
Old 09-22-2016, 06:30 AM

My M80 is awesome! I also like my M1A. I've previously used a Fishman rare earth humbucker and a Shadow SH145. They both do a job but they are not a patch on the two Baggs pickups I own in particular the M80.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
electronics, pickup, vintage