The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-11-2021, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
What the S1 has going for it is three high frequency drivers pointed left right and center, so it does a nice horizontal spread with a diminished vertical spread. I think it has a little more throw at low volumes.

Really, the assignment of the D6-58 for my own monitoring has more to do with being able to reach the mixer controls. Also, while both the D6-58 and the S1 sound very good, the D6-58 is a little better, and why shouldn't I hear it for myself?
I wondered if these were at least in part the reasons and it makes sense. I've been experimenting with the various S1 positions (again) and was noticing the advantage of the three HF drivers pointing in different directions when I'm out front listening/playing.

I also suffer from a significant hearing loss and really bad (loud) tinnitus in both ears but mine is from military service and some incidents that are classified and let's just say took place in places that were extremely unhospitable! So I'm protective of what's left of my hearing as well.

Now you've REALLY got me thinking about that D6-58 Pro!! It would be nice to have that pointing at me with access to the mixer controls and then one or two S1's pointing out for maximum spread and volume as needed!
Old 08-11-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Now you've REALLY got me thinking about that D6-58 Pro!! It would be nice to have that pointing at me with access to the mixer controls and then one or two S1's pointing out for maximum spread and volume as needed!
I am absolutely thrilled with mine. As you know, the D6-58 has a dedicated EQ for the stereo XLR line outs. The only part of that I use with the S1 is the high pass filter. The S1 may not be able to reproduce low frequencies, but it tries, and that is what causes the majority of the bottoming out that people complain about.

The S1 mounted over the Sub1 with the pole sounds incredible. It is overkill most of the time, but it adds another dimension to the S1 when you need it.

My tinnitus is terrible. It is always the loudest thing in any environment I find myself in. My left ear may be deaf, but it still rings and sputters like crazy. I am absolutely protective about my remaining hearing.

The jazzy fingerstyle playing that I do is a direct result of my hearing loss. I have a heck of a time listening to full band or multitracked music. I do it because it is the only style of music that still sounds good to me.
Old 08-11-2021, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

I recently bought an Evolve 30M

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-speaker-black

I am selling my Bose tomorrow...

6 inputs, 1000 watts, 44 lbs total, free app with EQ and effects for every channel including compression, reverb, delay, chorus etc etc.

Recently played an outdoor gig with 4 other musicians plugged in and it was great.
Old 08-12-2021, 05:22 PM

LD Maui5 GO $900 Battery powered, 120dB much louder than S1Pro
S1Pro does have a cleaner top end but the Maui has a ton of low end with the 8 inch woofer. Woofer has a separate volume control which is nice. 20lbs bass unit. Been around for awhile, no App.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification