The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-30-2024, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Default Recording Hero Exits

In my humble opinion, the last half of 60's was an exceptional time for music.

So many new styles of music. Cream, Hendrix, Stones, Beatles, The Who, Credence Clearwater (& so many more). Each of those styles were Unique unto themselves. Unlike anything we had ever heard before. Sure, they were all influenced in one way or another by other groups. As we all are. Yet, I still feel as if they laid the foundation for a new types of music and sounds. It was such an exciting time. We waited anxiously for the release of new albums from our favorite groups.

Don't get me wrong...what followed in the 70's and 80's was also amazing and new as well. Still, Even though the music was different in the following decades I feel the foundation was laid by those unique 60's groups.

One great influencer for the music to come, was Mike Pinder of the Moody Blues. Using the Mellotron he blended Symphony with folk rock to create beautiful melodic overtures.

Justin Hayward( Lead singer and writer of many of their hits) claims that it was Mike with his symphonic lines that took "Nights in White Satin" to its acclaim.

I had the extreme pleasure of spending a little bit of time with Mike back in the 70's at an AES show. I was also one of the few that had a Mellotron(Chamberlain ). So we had much to talk about.

My goal, is to back my guitars and vocals with Symphonic orchestration as well. Mike left an impact on myself as well as so many other recording artists.

I was saddened just now to learn of his passing just a few days ago. I know that many of us here on AGF recording also use Virtual Instruments =The modern version of a Mellotron

Old 04-30-2024, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

that's fascinating. They were a force to be reckoned with, for sure. Very influential, but nobody ever quite captured their aura. thanks for posting that
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 05-01-2024, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Mike Pinder was deep. He started out by covering boogie woogie and R&B standards — like It Ain’t Necessarily So — and blossomed into covering the symphony with his mellotron. His lyrics were the most spiritual among those of Hayward, Thomas, and Lodge. I often hear strains of Lost in a Lost World and When You’re a Free Man wafting about in my head. Gravitas. He was the Moodiest and the Blusiest of the band.

As for virtual instruments, wouldn’t it be great if we had one that sounded like a mellotron?
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 05-01-2024, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

I loved the Moody Blues

I'll bet this a night to remember

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-01-2024, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post

As for virtual instruments, wouldn’t it be great if we had one that sounded like a mellotron?

Actually they do have several Virtual Mellotron virtual plugins available.

Arturia V Mellotron, Gforce Mtron, Air Mellotron from Mellotron itself.

However, I chose to purchase a few different companies who offered their String & Wind sampling methods which includes a lot more articulations.
You would be shocked at the great symphonic sounds you can get with virtual instruments today. Using the right articulation, effects and reverb setting it can sound so good. and believe me, you don't have to spend very much money to get those great sounds. Spitfire has a plugin in their Originals collection. Intimate strings has one setting in it particular...called " Long Half section" which includes violins and cellos. And it is only $29 for that program. And cheaper if you get it on sale. I often choose it over its big brother $400 program.

The Inventor of the Mellotron was actual a company called Chamberlain. Right here in Southern California.
" The Mellotron was based on a 1946 invention by American inventor Henry Chamberlain." The difference between the two is a Chamberlain ran on 1/2 tape with 8 channels. I owned a Chamberlain...but often refer to it as a Mellotron because that name is more known. I had mine custom outfited with Cellos, violins, flute, Obe, Basson, trumpet and Trombone (and right now I cannot think of the 8th track?) Mellotron ran on a strange 3/8 inch tape and used 3 tracks.

Mike Pinder's Mellotron was a super custom one...with double keyboards. But he also had a Chamberlain as well.
Old 05-01-2024, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I loved the Moody Blues

This brought tears to my eyes Kev. Thank you for posting it! I watched the first 20 minutes....and will watch the rest later tonight.

I was lucky enough to see them live 4 times in the 70's. Each time I was totally amazed that they were able to play and sound Exactly the their record version. Amazing performers...amazing recordists.

In my view, their recording quality was well ahead of its time. The recording engineers did a marvelous job. I do know that U-87's were Justin's preferred mic for vocals. And I would not doubt from the recorded sound, that he might have also used the 87 on his acoustic guitar as well.
Old 05-05-2024, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I loved the Moody Blues

Wow! My wife and I were fortunate enough to see them in the late 90's at the Paramount Theater in Seattle. Wonderful concert.
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD