The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-21-2007, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalPicker View Post
Hello, Ellis--

I had the opportunity to play a COT in Nashville in summer of 2005--what an awesome instrument! I recently bought the Collings that I have lusted over for years (12-fret slot head slope shoulder dread, mahogany / adirondack), and my lovely Mrs. won't buy off on another big-ticket toy for a while. But, it is already a foregone conclusion, that when I get the "green light" for that purchase, a CA, probably the Bluegrass, will find its way into my pickin' parlor. Keep up the great work, and, while you are at it, be thinking "mandolin"--one maker that I know of is already doing it; a good quality and affordable carbon fiber mando, preferably an "F" style, would take the market by storm...
Thanks! We will keep your mando in mind - we are getting more and more requests.

Ellis
Old 10-21-2007, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisS View Post
Gerardo,

We are very sorry you were not happy with your experience with CA. However, it is our policy to receive a guitar back before we send a replacement - I think this is pretty standard and fair. I'm certain that if the guitar did have a problem, we replaced it for Artisan.

Now our goal is to never send a guitar out that has a problem - but we aren't perfect yet - we are a company of people, and we can make mistakes. However, we are also committed to excellent customer service when we do make a mistake, and to trying to eliminate the problem at the source so it doesn't happen again.

On the other hand, we can't help you if you aren't willing to work with us - if you had returned the instrument, and it had a problem, you would have an awsome CA you would be playing now. Our record for customer service is pretty good - unhappy customers don't come along often for us - unfortunately our best efforts aren't always enough.

I wish you well with whatever guitar you purchase, and I hope it sounds as good, plays as goods, and is as consistent and trouble free as a CA.

Ellis
Hello Ellis, it seems to me that your company was less than straight forward with what seems to be a good customer. Your customer service rep misrepresented himself and your company. The customer was never asked to send the faulty guitar back first. Unless i'm missing something, he was never given the chance to 'work with you'. This guy spent $10,000 with your company over the years which for me is nothing to sneeze at, but I guess for a large company, it's just a drop in the bucket. Oh well, live and learn, sometimes the hard way.
Martin dm 112
Carvin h2 holdsworth

Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and it's beauty.
Albert Einstein
Old 10-21-2007, 08:06 AM

Aloha Ellis,

Any updates on when the paulor and the 12-sting will be avaliable?

Kaimana

A string here, a string there...
Old 10-21-2007, 09:09 AM
some guy from NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post
Ellis,

I am a long time CA guitars owner and fan. I have had, in the past six years:
a CA Legacy (with wood fretboard) two CA Bluegrass Performer, a CA X Performer, and recently, just for a few days, a GX Performer.
Let me tell you the story about this latest guitar.
I bought it brand new from Artisan Guitars, and when I received it, I was very disappointed at how bad the neck was. It had a huge neck relief and a visible hump when the neck meets the body.
I had many other CA guitars in the past and their neck have always been straight and perfect, so I called Cal Stevenson at your customer service department and asked if he could replace the guitar. I also asked him if it was possible for me to keep the guitar until the new replacement was ready, in order not to be days or weeks without a guitar. Cal said yes and promised that a replacement was going to be ready in one week. After a week, he sent me a very short e-mail telling me hat the replacement guitar was not ready, with no explanation and no further information about when the replacement was going to be ready.
Now, listen to this: the day after, I received another e-mail, this time from the owner of Artisan Guitars, who told me that he had spoken with Cal Stevenson, and Mr.Stevenson complained with him that I did not trust CA enough and I did not want to send the guitar before receiving the new one. According to the owner of Artisan Guitars, this is the reason why Cal Stevenson decided not to send me a replacement. I was totally confused and disappointed by the double-faced attitude of your customer service representative, who allowed me to keep the guitar until the replacement was ready, while he complained instead about this with Artisan Guitars.
Finally, I asked the owner of Artisan Guitars to get the guitar back, which he kindly did even if I had kept it for a week and not just for 48 hours. I had to refund the store for their shipping and I had to pay for my shipping, but I was refunded for the guitar. So I lost just 70 dollars and... my faith on CA.
I don't think that I will buy another CA guitar in the future. I have spent more than 10,000 dollars in your guitars in the past six years, and I would have expected to be treated more fairly.
Thank you for your attention,

Gerardo Pavone
just curious.... why didn't you contact Artisan right away instead of going direct to the manufacturer?
Old 10-21-2007, 09:37 AM

Bad customer service scares me. I guess i've been spoiled for ten years with Taylor.
Taylor "04" K22CE-L30 Koa/Koa
Taylor "06" 914CE fall limited Coco/Engel.
Baby Taylor
Collings "01" D3 EIR/Sitka
Martin "1939" 0-17 Mahog.
Ovation "86" Anniversary
Gibson R7 Goldtop
Carvin DC400
Carvin strat
Epiphone MIJ Fujigen Elite Les Paul

http://www.reverbnation.com:80/marcocatracchia
Old 10-21-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I wish you well with whatever guitar you purchase, and I hope it sounds as good, plays as goods, and is as consistent and trouble free as a CA.
If Gerardo manages to find this guitar, I hope we'll hear about it - especially if its all those things and cheaper as well. In the meantime, though, I'm going to miss the reports on his various CA guitars. Gerardo was the most outspoken (customer) advocate for CA Guitars that I'd found on the forums. Too bad it ended so bitterly.

Gary
Old 10-21-2007, 03:20 PM

Hi, Ellis.

I took a look at the CA website and like the general look of the X and GX. Unfortunately, there was insufficient information to compare the size to my Larrivee OM-10. For example, on the X Performer page, there are only two measurements, nut width and scale length. While important information, they are insufficient for me to know if the X is smaller or larger than my OM. I understand sculpting affects feel, but I would still like to know size. As an example, the Larrivee page for the OM-10 also shows measurements for lower bout, upper bout, waist, depth, fretboard radius, fret width, and fret height. At a minimum, I would suggest adding body size measurements. Additional photos for top view, back view, and side view would help show where the sculpted parts are. I hope this helps you get people more informed about CA.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimButterfield View Post
Hi, Ellis.

I took a look at the CA website and like the general look of the X and GX. Unfortunately, there was insufficient information to compare the size to my Larrivee OM-10. For example, on the X Performer page, there are only two measurements, nut width and scale length. While important information, they are insufficient for me to know if the X is smaller or larger than my OM. I understand sculpting affects feel, but I would still like to know size. As an example, the Larrivee page for the OM-10 also shows measurements for lower bout, upper bout, waist, depth, fretboard radius, fret width, and fret height. At a minimum, I would suggest adding body size measurements. Additional photos for top view, back view, and side view would help show where the sculpted parts are. I hope this helps you get people more informed about CA.
Tim,

Here are some specs

Scale Length: All models are 25.5”

Body Depth:
- Dreadnaught 4 5/8”,
- GX 4 7/8”,
- X 3 ¼”

Body Lower Bout Width:
- Dreadnaught and GX – 16”,
- X 15 ¼”

Waist Width:
- Dred - 11"
- X - 9"
- GX - 9 5/8"

Body Length: All models are 20"

String Spacing: Nut width is 1 ¾”, Spacing at saddle is 2 ¼”

Fretboard Radius: 15" on all
Old 10-21-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Tim,

Here are some specs

Scale Length: All models are 25.5”

Body Depth:
- Dreadnaught 4 5/8”,
- GX 4 7/8”,
- X 3 ¼”

Body Lower Bout Width:
- Dreadnaught and GX – 16”,
- X 15 ¼”

Waist Width:
- Dred - 11"
- X - 9"
- GX - 9 5/8"

Body Length: All models are 20"

String Spacing: Nut width is 1 ¾”, Spacing at saddle is 2 ¼”

Fretboard Radius: 15" on all

ellis-
are you going to be at namm this (next) year?
Old 10-21-2007, 08:27 PM

Ellis,

Thanks for the specs. I'll compare that to my guitars to see where it fits in.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:22 PM

Hi Ellis I mentioned your guitars recently on Blog Action Day on my weblog you might be interested.

http://www.guitarnoize.com/blog/comm...ars-plausible/

cheers,
Jon

www.guitarnoize.com

GuitarLead.net
Old 10-22-2007, 05:47 AM

I played a GX this last week & loved the tone. If it would've been the blackburst & dual source it would be in my house now.

It's on my "next" list...

P.S. Do you also make the 1 11/16 neck?

The best things in life, are not Things...
Old 10-25-2007, 07:20 AM

Default Battery Compartment question

First, great having you here!

My question: on the X Player, where's the battery compartment and how is it accessed? Thanks.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
First, great having you here!

My question: on the X Player, where's the battery compartment and how is it accessed? Thanks.
there's a pouch for the 9v inside the body cavity.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:33 AM

Default Composite Acoustics in Toronto

For those of you in the Toronto area, the Long and McQuade on Bloor has a CA dred and a GX. Especially liked the sound of the GX. A little pricey though.

Regards,

Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber