The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-25-2014, 09:28 PM

Default Teaching breakthrough

I have been teaching guitar and voice on the side now for several years. I don't claim to be a master, just someone who is a trained teacher and is willing to help people learn to love and make music.

A bit over a month ago, I got a very special student. He is a developmentally disabled man, about my age. He has, from the very beginning, been very excited to be in a music lesson, holding a guitar and making noise with it. Progress is limited, but we always have a good time.

He can't read. Coordination is a challenge. I am not always sure he can see the different strings as separate things. Picking one string at a time has taken weeks, and it isn't always the right string, of course.

I've been trying to teach him a simple melody, using different techniques to learn how to play three notes, but... It wasn't going anywhere, and tonight, in the middle of trying the new method I came up with during the week, I had a thought - can he count to four? He can count to ten using his fingers, so if he can count to four without using his fingers, then what if I tuned his guitar to an open tuning - would he be able to strum the chord? I'd given up on teaching him to finger a chord in standard tuning, but this thought occurred to me, and I jumped on it and went with it. I tuned the guitars to open D, handed his back to him with a big fat hard felt bass pick that he can hold on to, and in almost no time, he was strumming that open D chord. Over and over. Count to four, count to four, count to to four. He was so excited, he was visibly shaking on the piano bench. It sounds like music!

I tried to see if he could fret across the neck, but it won't work. Next week, I'm taking a tone bar and a bottle neck, and we'll see if he can use one of those.

His caregiver was so excited. She looked like she was going to cry. As I drove away from the studio, thinking about what has gone into this and the breakthrough, I was almost overwhelmed. He played a chord! He strummed it, over and over. I thought he'd never be able to do that. I thought it outside the realm of the possible for him.

I taught a woman this morning how to play her first chord in less than two minutes, versus the number of weeks that I've been working with this man, and then suddenly, bam! Something changed.

Now I'm sitting here thinking to myself - was this a breakthrough for him, or was it more of a breakthrough in my thinking, in my approach? I found something that works for him, by letting his abilities dictate how I try to teach him, rather than allowing what he can't do limit what I try to teach him.
Fender Standard Stratocaster - 2000
Genz-Benz Shenandoah Jr
Old 11-25-2014, 09:33 PM

That's a cool story, broken thumb. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:44 PM

Great work! I'm a martial arts teacher and have finally, after many years, learned to think differently and to find ways that work for the individual. Your breakthrough is awesome! You should feel very pleased at what you've been able to do together. Keep up the good work and the open mind!
Old 11-25-2014, 10:06 PM

What a great story. Thanks for sharing. I bet that was an awesome moment to see.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:12 PM

Oh, it was awesome. Still is. I can't stop thinking about it.
Genz-Benz Shenandoah Jr
Old 11-25-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
..by letting his abilities dictate how I try to teach him, rather than allowing what he can't do limit what I try to teach..
That is the bit of gold, right there.

The question is, can that same concept be applied to all students, but allowed to change as they progress ?
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 11-25-2014, 11:09 PM

What a great story. Thanks for sharing, and please keep us posted on the progress.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:17 PM

Awesome.....keep up the good work.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:50 AM

Default disabled

It's a breakthrough for BOTH of you! Good story.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Awesome story...we can all learn from your "breakthrough" and his! Thanks for sharing!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 11-26-2014, 07:21 AM

Default Thank you!

I am a high school teacher, my wife teaches pre-school children with disabilities, and one of our daughters is disabled and will more than likely always live with us. You, broken thumb, started my day off wonderfully! When someone reaches out and finds a way to bring joy into the life of a person with disabilities, I ALWAYS see that as a reflection of that person. God Bless you for thinking outside of the box and finding a new approach in order to help this man reach a milestone. Your life will forever be changed. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone on the forum!
Shane
Old 11-26-2014, 04:12 PM

That is awesome. Way to go. Thanks for sharing this.

Isn't this always true to some extent? We all have some challenges to overcome or work around. He just has more.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:40 PM

I used to do some college teaching -- writing. I came to learn that students can learn 3 different ways...some by doing, some by reading and some by listening. I tried to incorporate all three methods. Don't think I was a big success, but you do have to recognize different learning styles and try to accommodate. You did exactly that. Good for you!
Old 11-26-2014, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken thumb View Post
…Now I'm sitting here thinking to myself - was this a breakthrough for him, or was it more of a breakthrough in my thinking, in my approach? I found something that works for him, by letting his abilities dictate how I try to teach him, rather than allowing what he can't do limit what I try to teach him.
Hi bt...

Great thought, and great story.

I wish you success with your unique student. Success is not merely musical…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-26-2014, 06:52 PM

Thank you all. This is a unique opportunity for me.
Genz-Benz Shenandoah Jr

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion