The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 07:22 PM

Arrow Beautiful Olson SJ – 2010 Cedar/EIR ***SOLD***

SOLD: James Olson SJ acoustic guitar, 2010 build (#1327), with deluxe appointments. No cutaway. The beautiful Western Red Cedar top is gorgeous (even, perfect grain; fabulous mellowed coloring) and the striking straight-grain East Indian Rosewood back and sides are the best I’ve seen. Sports the Olson “James Taylor” feature set – Cedar/EIR, MOP doves fingerboard inlays, full abalone purfling and rosette, etc. – just change the clear pickguard to a black one and you’ve got a full JT rig. Comes complete with a full red/granite look Carlton case with Olson logo and serial number.

I purchased this guitar from a respected AGF’er almost a year and a half ago. He shared stories of how he showed it to Jim, who commented it was one of his really good ones. I planned to keep it for a lifetime, but lost my senses last month and bought a second Olson – a parlor (my preferred size). Tonally they overlap; with two college kids this is not my time of life to be a “two Olson” guy, so one must go. Will seriously miss this one!!!

Guitar has the full Olson SJ spec’s: 1 3/4" nut, 25 11/32” scale length, 15.25” lower bout, string spacing 2 1/4”, fretboard radius 15”, 14 fret neck (20 frets total), 2 way adjustable truss rod in headstock, MOP “O” on headstock. Ebony fridge and fretboard, 5-piece headstock with Ebony overlay, 5 piece neck (mahogany/maple/rosewood/maple/mahogany), and East Indian Rosewood binding. Gold plated Gotoh 510 tuning machines. Has a L. B. Baggs LB6 saddle with embedded pickup, installed by Jim Olson himself during build.

Tone is truly sublime. Responds powerfully to light fingerstyle touch, but also handles being driven hard. Fingerstyle response is fantastic – a powerful treble, and well balanced across the strings, with an especially strong mid-range response. Thunders when strummed. Olson neck makes it especially easy to play. This guitar model is extensively reviewed (including on Jim’s website: http://olsonguitars.com/2016/07/01/r...-james-taylor/) and although I can’t make it sound like JT, I can vouch for its ability to lift one’s playing to higher levels. 

No significant blemishes of note on the guitar – it’s in excellent condition. The imperfections are minor: A slight (few mm) shallow string-change scratch on left side between the headstock tuning machines, a few slight, shallow/short swirl marks on the back, and one minor, shallow scratch (5mm length) on lower part of back…cannot see it unless you turn guitar toward light for gloss reflection. No significant dings, bumps or scuffs. Carlton case is in nearly mint shape (a few small scuffs that blend into the granite-style finish); case is fully functional and looks great. Frets were dressed/refreshed and guitar was fully set up in Feb. 2017 by Denny Rauen (high end pro that does Leo Kottke’s guitars; www.rauenguitars.com), $309 job but yielded a low action setup tuned to perfection and a general re-sparkling of the guitar.

This fabulous Olson is offered for SOLD. Price is for cash sale, and includes fully insured, cleanly and carefully packed US shipping with signature verification. No trades please (unless you happen to have a Kevin Ryan late model Abbey…I’m on a long term search for one!). Photos of the 2010 build by Jim Olson will accompany the guitar.

Can take/email more photos, share detailed measurements of anything needed, and provide any further info needed to interested buyers. I've bought/traded/sold over three dozen guitars on AGF, and will gladly provide references. Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Carmel Cedar; 06-30-2017 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Sold
Old 06-29-2017, 08:19 AM

STUNNING!!!!!!!!!! IF ONLY I COULD SELL 2-3 trades?
Froggy Bottom H12
Martin 1972 D-35
Taylor 2015 All Koa 314ce
Taylor 2011 12 Fret GCe Fall LTD
Taylor GS mini hog,Koa,Holden,Walnut
Taylor New 810 e 1st Edition
Taylor 914 Dave Matthews Model
Martin 0042SC John Mayer:guitar
Martin CS OOO41-15
Old 06-29-2017, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Smile My Goodness!!!

Be still my heart. Incredible axe from a sterling seller here!

Best on your sale, Andy!!!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 06-29-2017, 01:11 PM

Sold. Thank you for the kind offers and interest!

Last edited by Carmel Cedar; 06-30-2017 at 02:17 PM. Reason: payment received, so now sold!
Old 06-29-2017, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Default #1327

Ah, my first Olson. I loved that guitar, but sold it after Jim made me a spectacular brw/cedar cutaway in 2014. I bought it back because I liked it so much, sold it again............bought it back again............yes I love this guitar...........and ultimately sold it to Carmel Cedar who wrestled my rare Olson parlor from me, another fantastic guitar.

I will be in San Diego and am considering making a small dent in my spectacular collection with the sale of 4-6 guitars. All fantastic......that's all I own. If interested, contact me.

Congratulations Carmel Cedar AND ESPECIALLY to the new owner of #1327.

Robbypad
Old 06-29-2017, 03:47 PM

And I owned this beauty before Bruce did.

Great job guys. Looks exactly like it did back then. You've kept it in spectacular shape.

Best of wishes to the new owner to be!

John
Old 06-29-2017, 06:29 PM

Thumbs up

it is always a pleasure to do business with Andy. He is a great seller.

But in addition to Andy, thanks to Bruce and John as well for taking such excellent care of this remarkable guitar. I will try to continue the tradition and do the same.

And Bruce, thanks for not buying it back again.

Best,

Charley
2007 Santa Cruz OM "Rosslyn"
2010 Olson SJ "Carolina"
2015 Santa Cruz OM "Bella Luna"
2014 Collings I-35 Deluxe "Pearl"
Old 06-29-2017, 07:17 PM

Thanks Charley for the kind words, and to John, for remembering #1327 so fondly. To echo Bruce's sentiments, Charley I believe you will totally love this guitar!! It is a really special one. I especially bonded with that cedar top, perhaps inevitable given my AGF moniker.

Bruce, if you're considering parting with some of your other fabulous guitars, may I be the first to endorse you to interested AGF'ers as a wonderful seller, and a generally fabulous person to work with. Full of knowledge, great passion for your guitars, fast communication, keeping on top of things...just an overall pleasure. The best part is the stories you generously share, whether about your guitars, luthiers you know or your baseball career.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:10 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Wow, I didn't even see this one come up. I knew Andy was going to list it, but I guess I was just a little late to the party. Congrats on the fast sale Andy! And congrats to the new owner of this beauty!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Tags
olson sj