The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-24-2010, 01:45 PM

Default Cocobolo or East Indian for Dreadnought?

I'm having a guitar custom built for me. It's a dreadnought modeled after a Martin.

Met the builder today to discuss woods and we decided Rosewood Back and Sides, Maple Binding, and Adirondack Sitka Top (I'm a strummer). He will be ordering the wood soon, but before he orders:

For the back and sides, should I go with East Indian or Cocobolo?

I have read about the oils in Cocobolo so it may be important to note that he will be using Tung Oil on the guitar to seal it. Not sure if that effects the decision.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:48 PM

Ask the luthier first. Some folks have severe allergic reactions to coco.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:03 PM

I just sent him an e-mail. Thank you for helping.

Last edited by Rexfordbridge; 11-24-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:18 PM

See if you can be involved in choosing the wood set.
I'd go with Cocobolo based on what guitars you have in your signature line. There are some things your builder should know about working with Cocobolo to protect him ( or her) and with glues to use as the wood is a bit oily.
Quarter sawn tends to be more stable than flat sawn too.
If you like sapwood, you can find some interesting wood.

Mike

Michael Hedges
Old 11-24-2010, 02:19 PM
happiness

Honestly, you need to have this conversation with your luthier. Tell him what kind of tone you want, what kind of music you play, what your technique is like etc and ask him what he would suggest. For the aesthetics, if you have preferences it's a good idea to let the luthier know those too, but in my view, once you've made the choice of builder they will be your best guide.

Fliss
Old 11-24-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexfordbridge View Post
I'm having a guitar custom built for me. It's a dreadnought modeled after a Martin.

Met the builder today to discuss woods and we decided Rosewood Back and Sides, Maple Binding, and Adirondack Sitka Top (I'm a strummer). He will be ordering the wood soon, but before he orders:

For the back and sides, should I go with East Indian or Cocobolo?

I have read about the oils in Cocobolo so it may be important to note that he will be using Tung Oil on the guitar to seal it. Not sure if that effects the decision.
So, he doesn't have either of these woods in his stock? It's a good idea to allow the woods to acclimate to ones shop for a period of time (I'd say 6 months, others say 1 year, some say less) before working with it. This allows the wood to stabilize in the builders climate before it gets thicknessed, bent, etc.

Cocobolo as has been mentioned can be a real problem for people as far as alergic reactions go. This is mostly when working it and is usually not an issue once finished.

Also there is the issue of it being quite oily versus other rosewoods and adhesion can be an issue.

If you are confident in your builders skills to work with it then IMO it's a mater of visual taste with little difference in tone versus EIR. Now, the builder also needs to be confident that he/she can work the Cocobolo as to not have any future issues after the instrument is complete.

It is often said that the top and top bracing shape 80-90% of the tone of the guitar, while the back and side wood colors that tone to some degree. So some would say (quoting Mario Proulx) Pick the top with your ears and the back & sides with your eyes.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:16 PM

Just as a follow up, I spoke with the builder and he said that he could work with Cocobolo
Old 11-24-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliss View Post
Honestly, you need to have this conversation with your luthier. Tell him what kind of tone you want, what kind of music you play, what your technique is like etc and ask him what he would suggest. For the aesthetics, if you have preferences it's a good idea to let the luthier know those too, but in my view, once you've made the choice of builder they will be your best guide.

Fliss

Totally agree...talk to your builder about the details. However both are wonderful and ya can't go wrong with either. Coco may give you a bit more bite and clarity resembling Brazilian, but there's always something fabulous about an Indian Rosewood Dread. This is the FUN part...so enjoy!
Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner
‘96 Gibson J-100
Old 11-24-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexfordbridge View Post
Just as a follow up, I spoke with the builder and he said that he could work with Cocobolo
Then talk to him about what you want from the guitar. Like others have said, he is the guy you best talk to. I like coco better but again, the luthier is man who can answer tonal and voicing questions you may have. He may suggest a different top or body style or whatever. This is the fun part.

Enjoy and post pics!
Old 11-24-2010, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

I loved my coco guitar. But I think you need to talk with your luthier about what you want. I think by this time you should be getting the message: TALK TO THE BUILDER. TAKE HIS OR HER ADVICE.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 11-24-2010, 04:32 PM

Thanks everyone for the help. Much appreciated.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Eric Skye

I agree with everyone that you should see what the builder says. I went through this with my new SCGC 00, because I love indian (on smaller guitars in paticular), and I love coco... I would say if he knows and likes working with coco it might make for a pretty stellar D. Especially on big guitar, coco’s added clarity over Indian might be an advantage. But coco is also a heavy wood, so (not being a builder) I would guess have a straighter grained set that can be worked thinner would be a good thing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop