The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-28-2023, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Default Eastman E1D...

A while back started a thread regarding the satin D-18. Really appealed to me but having a really good D-18 it didn't make any sense to be redundant. So I started looking at the Eastman E1D as I really wanted a less expensive and satin D-18 style guitar for outdoor playing and camping. I'm an Eastman fan owning a couple other higher end models but this bottom of the line solid E1D with the open pore satin finish was just what I was looking for. I know a lot of you have and love your Eastman's and I believe the lower end models are really great. It'll get a K&K mini installed as soon as it arrives. Had an old four latch Martin dread case that fits it perfectly so I'll be set. I'm not a big fan of NGD's but thought enough of this one to share.
If you're in the market for an inexpensive (I guess that's a relative term?) all solid tone wood dread I can recommend this one!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 09-28-2023 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-28-2023, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Amen Brother. My 2011 E10SS gets most of my attention these days and I just sold a big name dread that I bought 6 years ago and paid 3 times more for what I paid for the new Eastman in 2012.
Old 09-28-2023, 12:12 PM

Yeah, totally agree - my E1D is a really great sounding guitar that easily compares to other dreads that cost two or three times as much; definitely on par with lower range Martins (eg the D13E my bandmate plays), but with a different character (slightly brighter), and of course, a much nicer feeling neck (main reason why I got it).

Now, does it sound "cheap" when played back to back with my Iris OG? Yes! But that OG is half the weight, has a roasted adi top, and cost about 4 times as much (and that OG absolutely SLAYS that D13E).
Bit of an unfair comparison (and of course the Eastman has more deep bass - can't cheat physics, much larger body).
Old 09-28-2023, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

One note of interest...this is a recent 2023 build. Just happened to check the bracing. On this one it's forward shifted and very scalloped. My 2020 E20D-TC has braces in the standard (Martin) position. Moreover...the workmanship is really good. Not a rough place on any of the braces or underside of the top. Back braces are thinner and taller. Overall the brace work rivals some on guitars I have that cost many times more. Maybe an offshoot of the Bourgeois infusion?

Old 09-28-2023, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
One note of interest...this is a recent 2023 build. Just happened to check the bracing. On this one it's forward shifted and very scalloped. My 2020 E20D-TC has braces in the standard (Martin) position. Moreover...the workmanship is really good. Not a rough place on any of the braces or underside of the top. Back braces are thinner and taller. Overall the brace work rivals some on guitars I have that cost many times more. Maybe an offshoot of the Bourgeois infusion?
Interesting. I didn't think Eastman did forward shifted at all.
Old 09-28-2023, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Agreed. My E1D was very very clean inside. Besides the forward shifting and cleaner build, I think they may have gone with the slightly smaller body dimensions of the Bourgeois dreadnought. The E1D with K&K is a great combination.
Old 09-28-2023, 03:00 PM

Congrats. Eastman makes great guitars...and I've yet to play a BAD one. Some better than others, but no dogs yet. I'm thinking of purchasing myself a cedar-topped one. And since it'd be my first cedar guitar, kinda hard to go wrong with shelling out such little (relatively-speaking) money! Enjoy
Old 09-28-2023, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

I picked up a used E1D with a baggs pickup to use as my alternate tuning guitar when I need to plug in. I was surprised at how good it was. I think I like it better than the E10DTC and E6D-TC. Potentially because the finish seems so much thinner than the thicker gloss they tend to use. The bracing has slightly changed since the Bourgeois takeover. Definitely cleaner on the inside with thinner bracing.
Old 09-28-2023, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Your use of terminology is confusing, as Eastman has controlling interest in Bourgeois, not the other way around.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-28-2023, 04:10 PM

I bought an E1D last month just because I liked how it looked. Plenty of dreadnoughts in my possession. But I bought it anyway. That makes my 5th Eastman dread (3rd square shoulder). Will probably be buying my 13th Eastman next week.
Old 09-28-2023, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Eastman guitars represent old world craftsmanship IMO. The label in mine says "handcrafted in the workshop of Eastman Strings, Beijing, China." Whoever carved the braces in my E10SS wasn't a novice at the craft. Eastman strings is an old company that has produced many fine wooden instruments.
Old 09-28-2023, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Your use of terminology is confusing, as Eastman has controlling interest in Bourgeois, not the other way around.
I have no idea about who controls whom...just thought it might be a change from the ongoing collaboration.

Old 09-28-2023, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBowman View Post
Congrats. Eastman makes great guitars...and I've yet to play a BAD one. Some better than others, but no dogs yet. I'm thinking of purchasing myself a cedar-topped one. And since it'd be my first cedar guitar, kinda hard to go wrong with shelling out such little (relatively-speaking) money! Enjoy
You won't be sorry...had the E2D-Cedar top. Fine guitar but gifted it to a friend who has now paid it forward to another friend. And so it goes...or should at least?

Old 09-29-2023, 04:16 AM

Quote:
You won't be sorry...had the E2D-Cedar top. Fine guitar but gifted it to a friend who has now paid it forward to another friend. And so it goes...or should at least?
First off congratulations on the E1D. I am very curious about your opinion on the E2D vs E1D. Ian Meadows on You Tube does great videos and said the E2 was the best $500 guitar he has ever played. I listened to both and the spruce sounded like spruce and the cedar like cedar, just wondering about your first hand experience
Old 09-29-2023, 05:41 AM

There's an E1D package available here on the AGF for a very attractive price.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=675408
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion