The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-30-2021, 11:46 AM

Default Martin OM-28CO Custom Shop - good buy

Hey everybody,

Had a question to the guitar swarm comminity:

I have an offer to buy a wonderful cocobolo Martin OM-28CO Custom Shop for a little short of €5000,-.

The markup to a standard OM28 is substantial, but it plays very nice and looks and feels tempting.

Is a good buy for that amount of money? Will it hold its value being a custom shop instrument - or is it nothing special and just „another“ Martin?

Thanks for your insights!
Old 07-06-2021, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpias View Post
Hey everybody,

Had a question to the guitar swarm comminity:

I have an offer to buy a wonderful cocobolo Martin OM-28CO Custom Shop for a little short of €5000,-.

The markup to a standard OM28 is substantial, but it plays very nice and looks and feels tempting.

Is a good buy for that amount of money? Will it hold its value being a custom shop instrument - or is it nothing special and just „another“ Martin?

if you tried and you like it go ahead!
anyway, is it a good buy? you should add some info: which is the top? sitka? or adi? what are the other specs?
Old 07-06-2021, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

It would probably be easier to judge if you mentioned the price they were asking…
Old 07-25-2021, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
It would probably be easier to judge if you mentioned the price they were asking…

I wrote it in the description: 4800,- Euros….
All the best!
Old 07-25-2021, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

At this time, all guitars seem to be overpriced. If you want the guitar you'll have to meet that high price. You can try to get the seller down some, but you are going to overpay compared to two years ago. If you're ok with that, then go for it.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

In my view, it is not a good buy, nor will it hold its value. Martins typically won’t fetch more than 50% of their original (or current) MSRP on the used market, and there are enough regular EIR Martin OM-28s in the wild such that most people are well aware of what one of them costs used that yours would not draw the audience nor the price you’d likely want in a resale situation.

Martin buyers are also very traditional minded, and don’t normally prefer custom shop models that deviate too much from a production/catalog model they are based on, at least in the USA.

If you absolutely love the tone and playability, go for it. But if you only think it’s “nice” or “a little better than a standard,” you should pass.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 07-25-2021, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
.....I have an offer to buy a wonderful cocobolo Martin OM-28CO Custom Shop for a little short of €5000.....it plays very nice and looks and feels tempting.....Will it hold its value being a custom shop instrument - or is it nothing special and just „another“ Martin?
As I'm in the US it's difficult for me to judge if that price is fair for your local market, but can comment a bit on the second question. Just my opinion of course, but it's a Custom Shop with Cocobolo body. Cocobolo OM28's are not something I've seen often. In that regard it's not just another Martin, it's a Custom Shop with a highly regarded tonewood "upgrade". I've played a number of great sounding cocobolo guitars. If I started to bond with it after a little playing and, it's style etc. fit my needs/wants, and, I could swing the cost, I think I'd go for it. If you buy it post pics !

Last edited by gmel555; 07-25-2021 at 12:35 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion