The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-15-2024, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

When I read what you wanted, my first thought was, cool guitar! My second thought was, that’s gonna cost a boatload of money. Martin’s Custom Shop pricing was reasonable 15-25 years ago, now not so much. This is especially true when Authentic specs are involved.
Old 04-15-2024, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

I didn’t want to say anything about pricing in my earlier posts. I figured a Style 41 guitar was already an expensive guitar, so perhaps the addition of Authentic features to a custom Style 41 guitar wouldn’t be as jarring.

As I mentioned above, a while ago I spec’ed what is essentially a custom authentic version of a 000-18 (i .e., a 000-18 with every available Authentic option), which wasn’t available at the time. Even with a generous dealer discount, the price was so high that I ended up ordering a 000 mahogany from Pre*War Guitars Co. and a D-18 Authentic 1937 (a current model) for just a little more than what the custom 000-18 would’ve cost.

And of course, Martin recently introduced Custom Shop 000-18 1937s in aged and non aged versions. While pricey, the non-aged version is a couple thousand less than what I would’ve spent recreating it à la carte. Even the aged version is less (aging wasn’t a custom option at that time).

Sorry to hear about your disappointment. I was looking forward to your guitar, so I can imagine how you feel.
Old 04-15-2024, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

I knew you were going to be quoted a deal-breaker price. Buying an active Authentic model is the only way it makes sense. Or on the used market.

The Custom Shop has more work than they can handle. I sometimes think they price stuff high to discourage these types of one-offs. But if the client really really wants it, they are going to pay for it and make it worth Martin's time.

To me, it doesn't make sense spending this kind of money when they aren't even going to hand voice / optimize the instrument like a boutique builder would. There are so many alternative options -- used, vintage, etc.

Move on and don't look back.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 04-15-2024, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Too bad. Sounds like you’re better off going to a smaller shop that does pre-war replicas well.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 04-15-2024, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
Ok, the folks at Martin's Custom Shop are CRAZY!! I can buy a brand-new D41 Ambertone AND a new Custom Shop '37 D28 Authentic Ambertone for less money that what MY cost would be for a guitar spec'd out like this!! How they can justify that is beyond belief for me!!
Well, this is very disappointing, though I was afraid the Martin Custom Shop quote would be high.

I can see why you want that combination of Authentic voicing and D-41 trim. It would be a great guitar.

Oh well...

- Glenn
Old 04-15-2024, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ok, the folks at Martin's Custom Shop are CRAZY!! I can buy a brand-new D41 Ambertone AND a new Custom Shop '37 D28 Authentic Ambertone for less money that what MY cost would be for a guitar spec'd out like this!! How they can justify that is beyond belief for me!!
Come on, don't leave us hanging. What was the price? Did the dealer offer a discount? Did you ask for one.

You did ask for a lot in this order. How did you do it? Did you ask for a D-41 with Authentic features or a Custom Shop Authentic with D-41 features? It makes a difference in what was going to be a very expensive guitar no matter what.

I think you have to be careful with the Custom Shop. As you found out, there is a lot of stuff that you can stuff into you guitar, but they don't tell you what it's going to cost until latter.

For the record my Grand Jumbo 28 GE is going to be $3500 with Mark@Renos discount. I'm thrilled about but it's still a long wait until December. I'm hoping for October or November.

So come on, what did they tell you?
Old 04-15-2024, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Come on, don't leave us hanging. What was the price? Did the dealer offer a discount? Did you ask for one.

You did ask for a lot in this order. How did you do it? Did you ask for a D-41 with Authentic features or a Custom Shop Authentic with D-41 features? It makes a difference in what was going to be a very expensive guitar no matter what.

I think you have to be careful with the Custom Shop. As you found out, there is a lot of stuff that you can stuff into you guitar, but they don't tell you what it's going to cost until latter.

For the record my Grand Jumbo 28 GE is going to be $3500 with Mark@Renos discount. I'm thrilled about but it's still a long wait until December. I'm hoping for October or November.

I don’t think one can start with a Custom Shop Authentic as a base model, which is part of the issue. If you want Authentic features, you need to start with what is essentially a Standard Series model and add them. Iirc, the price for my 000-18 with all of the available Authentic features was between $10k and $11k with a 15% dealer discount from the quoted price. I would have expected Tnfiddler’s order to be around $13k.

I think that, if one really wants Authentic features from Martin, it’s better to buy or order a current model, wait for Martin to release one (as they did with the 000-18 1937) or buy a used one. The problem with Style 41 is that it’s a “modern” creation, so Authentics with pearl border inlay would only come in Style 42 or 45.

A Preston Thompson in Style 41 would probably cost as much as the CS Martin. I’d rather own the PT at that price point.
Old 04-15-2024, 04:21 PM

I recently experienced that certain dealers, like Gruhn’s, know how to work the Martin Custom pricing to the customer’s advantage. You may not get the specific look you’re going for, but it’s likely to sound good.
Old 04-15-2024, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post

Map was almost $14k!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 04-15-2024, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

I wonder what kind of bling $13-14K would get you from a talented builder, like Judge Wolfe. And as brencat mentions, you’ll actually get a hand voiced guitar.
Old 04-15-2024, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Map was almost $14k!!

Sheesh. I think my reaction would have been the same. Nope! Sometimes our dreams are better left in our heads. lol
Old 04-15-2024, 07:42 PM

Default ‘37 D41 Authentic Aged Ambertone Custom Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
I wonder what kind of bling $13-14K would get you from a talented builder, like Judge Wolfe. And as brencat mentions, you’ll actually get a hand voiced guitar.

I actually have an INCREDIBLE hand-voiced guitar in my Bourgeois Vintage D with the Banjo Killer bracing. I love my D41 and always will, but a big part of me will always be haunted by that ‘37 D28AA I played at NAMM. I need to get that guitar out of my head and be happy with what I have.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 04-15-2024, 08:50 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
I actually have an INCREDIBLE hand-voiced guitar in my Bourgeois Vintage D with the Banjo Killer bracing. I love my D41 and always will, but a big part of me will always be haunted by that ‘37 D28AA I played at NAMM. I need to get that guitar out of my head and be happy with what I have.
Or you could just buy (new or used) a ‘37 D28AA forget the custom stuff with the 41 bling and live happily ever after.

Old 04-15-2024, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Or you could just buy (new or used) a ‘37 D28AA forget the custom stuff with the 41 bling and live happily ever after.
I was going to say the same thing! $14k doesn’t surprise me, especially if that price doesn’t include a dealer discount.

The production Authentics and Custom Shop Authentics are pricey, but not exorbitant relative to the market. Adding Authentic features to a custom order—especially one in Style 4x—seems to drive the price beyond reason.

@Tnfiddler, You could probably find a D-28 AA 1937 for close to 1/3 the price of the custom you were thinking of ordering!
Old 04-16-2024, 05:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Map was almost $14k!!
Wowsa! I guess this one just wasn't meant to be.

Are you going to try toning it down a little, look for something else, or just sit tight for now.

You already do have two great guitars to hold you over.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion