The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-29-2024, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

I've used humidpaks in my cases for years and have yet to have one leak, so am sorry to hear you've had this trouble. I'm delighted to say that here in central Ohio we have just officially transitioned into dehumidifier season!
Old 04-29-2024, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
I usually use Music Nomad humidifiers in my guitars’ cases over the winter season but, this past winter, having heard that the leakage problem had been solved several years ago, I decided to try Humidipaks again. A very expensive option - for example, twelve replacement paks cost over £80 ($100) on Amazon UK - but they've kept the RH nicely in the 45-50% range all winter so, on that score, I’ve been reasonably happy with them. The paks remained soft all through the winter so I’ve had no reason to ‘recharge’ or replace them.

However, when I checked them yesterday, three of the twelve paks were leaking. Fortunately nothing leaked out of the cloth bags the paks hang in, but the 25% failure-rate has persuaded me to abandon Humidipaks and, next winter I will go back to the Music Nomad humidifiers - never had a failure with those, and a gallon of distilled water costs around £8 ($10) and lasts several years.

A very disappointing end to what I had hoped would be a successful experiment. And the last time I’ll waste money on those POS Humidipaks. Back to the KISS Principle, and the good ole, fail-safe MNs..
HiJayBee…
Some 'convenience' items come at a high price. You're lucky the only expense was the cash outlay up front, and not a repair for damage to your instrument.

Never trusted that particular product (many do), never will.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-29-2024, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

I have used Humidpacks for the past two ears and haven't had a problem

I just purchased a new J-45 this weekend and I found Gibson provides Humidpacks in the guitar case! Bonus, one less to buy
Old 04-29-2024, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

As I’ve posted several times, I get it that there are others who have used Humidipaks ‘for years’ with no problems. That’s great, and I’m genuinely happy for y’all.

However, exactly like the binding on Martin guitars built since 2012, I strongly recommend not to count your chickens, and to check the condition of the paks you’re using regularly.

My twelve Humidipaks went in the garbage, and I won’t be spending my money on any more. I think we’ve beaten the topic to death now, I’m gone.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 04-29-2024, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

So sorry to hear about the leak issue, JayBee. I don’t blame you for bailing on them. I’m another one who has yet to have a problem but I buy directly from Boveda, replace them every year and live in a climate with very few extremes. I’m not saying that it couldn’t happen, just that I think that many factors play into the mix. No system is perfect and quality control issues happen.
I hope that you find a system that works for you.
Best,
Jayne
Old 04-29-2024, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
So sorry to hear about the leak issue, JayBee. I don’t blame you for bailing on them. I’m another one who has yet to have a problem but I buy directly from Boveda, replace them every year and live in a climate with very few extremes. I’m not saying that it couldn’t happen, just that I think that many factors play into the mix. No system is perfect and quality control issues happen.
I hope that you find a system that works for you.
Best,
Jayne
Thanks Jayne. I’ve decided to go back to the system I’ve used without any problems for the proverbial ‘years’ (at least the past 10 years) - Music Nomad Humitars which, should additional humidification be required, I supplement with home-made ‘sponge-in-a-perforated-baggie’ humidifiers which cost a few cents to make.
Best,
JayBee.

As I said in post #19, I think we’ve beaten this topic to death now - I’m happy for the thread to die.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 04-29-2024 at 08:32 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion