The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-06-2023, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
I know your blue am pro II strat very well Glenn, but didn't know you had another Strat in the herd!!! Holding out on us, Mr. Willow??? Bahahaha

fd
Hi Frank!

You made me laugh!

I have an older Strat Plus from the early 1990s with Lace Sensor pickups on it. It's a very nice guitar, though those Lace Sensor pickups have a little different character compared with more traditional Strat-type pickups.

This recording shows my Strat+ from a few years ago.

- Glenn
Old 04-06-2023, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Frank!

You made me laugh!

I have an older Strat Plus from the early 1990s with Lace Sensor pickups on it. It's a very nice guitar, though those Lace Sensor pickups have a little different character compared with more traditional Strat-type pickups.

- Glenn
That was beautiful Glenn. Thanks for showing such love for Lyle and showing me your other Stratocaster!
Clapton was a big user of Lace pickups in the 90’s, so what could be bad? I like the red to black paint scheme too.
Thank you again.
fd
Old 04-06-2023, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Yes, the finish on my Strat+ is really pretty! It's really a stunning guitar in terms of looks! And it sounds good, too. Thanks for your thoughts and comments, Frank!

- Glenn
Old 04-06-2023, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Hi Frank!

You made me laugh!

- Glenn
Wow, that was GREAT. I didn't see/hear that song before if you posted it. Great recording and playing Glenn!
Old 04-06-2023, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Janine, there's a Fender Robert Cray Strat on the classifieds here on AGF right now at a good price. Might want to check it out.
Old 04-06-2023, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

I have always wanted a nice strat, so I bought an American Professional a couple of years ago in Sienna Sunburt. It's a beautiful strat and sounds great. However, I never play it. I almost always grab a telecaster or my ES335, or occasionally the Gretsch Tri-Five. I just never get along with the ergonomics of the strat.
Old 04-06-2023, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Wow, that was GREAT. I didn't see/hear that song before if you posted it. Great recording and playing Glenn!
Thank you Daniel! How nice of you!

- Glenn
Old 04-06-2023, 09:09 PM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
Janine, there's a Fender Robert Cray Strat on the classifieds here on AGF right now at a good price. Might want to check it out.
Thanks... I'll go right over and check it out.

I've been reading about pedals. OMG. Also listening to Ted Nugent this evening.

I'm sure pedals will need their own thread.
Old 04-06-2023, 09:12 PM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Hi Frank!

You made me laugh!

- Glenn
You are such a pro, Glenn! Thank you for posting this. Your hands are just so relaxed and you make playing the guitar look effortless.
Old 04-07-2023, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janinep7 View Post
You are such a pro, Glenn! Thank you for posting this. Your hands are just so relaxed and you make playing the guitar look effortless.
Thank you so much, Janine!

How nice of you!

I do manage to keep my hands and fingers relaxed, but I have been playing like a nut for just under 60 years. After a while and over a lot of time, a person's body learns how to do things.

Keep at it, Janine. And have fun with the whole guitar thing!

- Glenn
Old 04-07-2023, 11:26 AM
Guest 61722

I have no intention of ever stopping! I've got quite a ways to go to get 60 years under my belt. I will be... 118 by that time. I should finally just be getting the hang of it.

It's so instructive to see someone who's as accomplished as you are in action. It reminds me what I'm aiming for. It's good to have a point of reference for what a real player does.

If we're not having fun playing the guitar then we are doing something wrong.

Acoustic, electric, telecaster, stratocaster... Yes, please. If it's a guitar, it's all good.

PS I'm thinking I should get a really big amp. I don't want to outgrow it too soon. LOL.
Old 04-07-2023, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks... I'll go right over and check it out.

I've been reading about pedals. OMG. Also listening to Ted Nugent this evening.

I'm sure pedals will need their own thread.
Pedals are even more of a rabbit hole than guitars are. You can very, very quickly have lots of money tied up in pedals that you rarely, if ever, use. So you'd be well-advised to go slow in that area.

In your situation, I think I would go buy a Fender Mustang GTX 50 or 100 modeling amp. It would allow you to play around with different amp models and all sorts of virtual pedals including various types of reverb, delay, tremolo, overdrive/distortion/fuzz, flangers, phasers, compressors, etc. That way, you could figure out what you like and don't like, and then spend your money wisely when you decide to move on from the modeling amp.

It's about $350 or $400 for the GTX50, and about $500 for the GTX100 (but the 100 comes with a great $100 footswitch that's not included with the 50). The GTX has tons of amps and effects modeled, and allows you to place them in any order you want in an effects chain. And it has a 12" speaker. It doesn't matter how great the modeling is in an amp, great programming can't change the laws of physics, and a little 4" or 6.5" speaker in a small cabinet just can't push as much air as a 12" speaker in a larger cabinet.

Watch some videos on it. Anderton's has one that's about 45 minutes long, but is really informative (and you get to listen to Danish Pete play).

https://youtu.be/lS_oL817o6U

Would this be the last amp you ever buy? Almost certainly not, but you'd get a good education from it and could ultimately avoid making an expensive mistake on an amp or effects pedals.
Old 04-07-2023, 01:56 PM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
Pedals are even more of a rabbit hole than guitars are. You can very, very quickly have lots of money tied up in pedals that you rarely, if ever, use. So you'd be well-advised to go slow in that area.

In your situation, I think I would go buy a Fender Mustang GTX 50 or 100 modeling amp. It would allow you to play around with different amp models and all sorts of virtual pedals including various types of reverb, delay, tremolo, overdrive/distortion/fuzz, flangers, phasers, compressors, etc. That way, you could figure out what you like and don't like, and then spend your money wisely when you decide to move on from the modeling amp.

It's about $350 or $400 for the GTX50, and about $500 for the GTX100 (but the 100 comes with a great $100 footswitch that's not included with the 50). The GTX has tons of amps and effects modeled, and allows you to place them in any order you want in an effects chain. And it has a 12" speaker. It doesn't matter how great the modeling is in an amp, great programming can't change the laws of physics, and a little 4" or 6.5" speaker in a small cabinet just can't push as much air as a 12" speaker in a larger cabinet.

Watch some videos on it. Anderton's has one that's about 45 minutes long, but is really informative (and you get to listen to Danish Pete play).

https://youtu.be/lS_oL817o6U

Would this be the last amp you ever buy? Almost certainly not, but you'd get a good education from it and could ultimately avoid making an expensive mistake on an amp or effects pedals.
That sounds AWESOME!!! I want it loud! Lots of power. I think I need to just figure out how the amp and guitar work together before I complicate my life with more gear. I love that amp!!!

Now what guitar is he playing? That sounds good, too.

I have been having some terribly sinful thoughts, like maybe I should sell my Martin and put the money into an electric set up. I'll have plenty left over to get a Yamaha FG800 or similar, or I can just play my Sigma DM-4 when I need an acoustic.

I don't really think I would ever do that; I love the 000-18 too much. It would be like having a mid-life crisis where you leave your faithful partner of many years to go chasing after a hot young dude with a ponytail and a sports car.

But just the fact that I thought about it. Danger! Danger! Warning! Going from acoustic to electric must be like going from a stick shift to an automatic transmission.
Old 04-07-2023, 02:00 PM
Guest 61722

Quote:
I have been having some terribly sinful thoughts, like maybe I should sell my Martin and put the money into an electric set up. I'll have plenty left over to get a Yamaha FG800 or similar, or I can just play my Sigma DM-4 when I need an acoustic.
I think this makes me officially a musician now. LOL.
Old 04-07-2023, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

LOL! I'm way too old to have any of those sinful thoughts! Plus, I live in fear every day that I'm going to come home and my wife will have changed the locks and thrown all my stuff out on the front porch.

By the way, he's playing a Fender Vintera Strat.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars