The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-09-2017, 07:18 PM

Default Carvin Audio closing its doors

I saw this on Carvin's Facebook feed and confirmed it on their web page.

Quote:
To all our amazing Carvin Audio fans and friends,
It is with a heavy heart that we announce that the Carvin Audio factory will be closing its doors after over 70 years.
We are thankful for the many years we've had in this business and the support you all have given us.
We'd like to thank all of you for your devotion to our gear and championing us live, in the studio, and on social media. We hope to see our gear live on in your musical lives for many years to come!
Shortly, we will be making an announcement about our liquidation sale.
Thank you all!
The Carvin Audio Team
I had an AG-100D back in the day. I hear their newer acoustic combo amps are pretty nice, too.

I'm sad to see this happen. I hope the employees all land on their feet somewhere else soon.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

That's a cryin' shame. Their website has been goofy the last week or so, right after they had some super-deep discounts on their famed AG200 and 300.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Yes, this is sad news. Carvin has made well designed and well built gear for gigging musicians for longer than I've been alive.

Most likely, it couldn't find a buyer to take over operations and now must liquidate. Remaining inventory should be available at reduced prices. Of course, no warranty will come with those sales. However, Carvin gear is designed to last and is quite serviceable if it needs repair.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:40 PM

Just...Wow. That was totally unexpected.

I had just decided to purchase an AG300 a week or so ago and when I called to place my order I was told they were out of stock and to check back in a week. Then their web page stopped working properly and they didn't respond to my later inquiry. I thought that was weird considering the glowing reviews I've read about their products and customer service.

Well now we know why.

Too bad, too.

And I guess I better find another amp.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Wow - as an owner of a Carvin AG200 which I love, I too am shocked at this news!
Old 10-09-2017, 10:01 PM

I’ve been wanting to get an AG 300 and was fixing to order one when my next guitar sells... (sigh)

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 10-10-2017, 04:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

This very sad. I wonder what the final straw was that broke this camel's back? I've owned just about every brand of acoustic amp including the all high end ones and keep coming back to my Carvin AG300, which I bought as soon as they introduced the new version a couple years ago. I also bought the matching extension cab (both in the dark brown "leather" covering, which looks very nice I think). Previously owned the older AG100, which I sold when the higher wattage new version came out. I did have to send back the new AG300 for a warranty issue - weird hum that increased in volume when first turned on, then faded away after a minute or so. Whatever they did not only eliminated that hum but also improved the overall sound, although I couldn't get info on exactly what they did. In any case, I now have what amounts to a very fine small acoustic PA system that works great for small to medium size venues, is reasonably light and delivers a very natural and clear sound sound that is easily tweaked for the rooms I play.

I frequently get compliments on the sound from other guitarists, which confirms what my ear tells me. Hate to see an American music equipment company go down but I guess you can only slice the pie so many times; I wonder if they had partnered with one of the big online retailers things might have turned out differently. Their margins would no doubt have been smaller but with greater exposure they might have made that up in volume. Interestingly, it's been my experience that many guitarists who know Fishman and Bose products don't even know about Carvin. In any case, I guess I'll just have to hope my AG300 lives a long and dependable life.

Gene
Cape Cod Acoustics
Old 10-10-2017, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

That's very sad to hear. I use a Carvin TS100 stereo tube power amp for my home sound system. Running music through tubes really brings it to life and the Carvin is an utter bargain relative to other home stereo tube amps. They make great products in every respect.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 10-10-2017, 07:15 AM

I always hate it when music companies—retailers or manufacturers—shutter their businesses. Makes me feel like people somehow don't like music.

Those amps needed to be in stores, where retailers could promote them. I certainly tried, but they were pretty adamant about direct-only.
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 10-10-2017, 07:31 AM

Years ago Carvin has outlet stores. It was there that I was able to test and handle equipment from the showrooms. Bought mostly PA equipment. Like others, I was hoping to get an AG300. Still use my AG100. Very versatile combo amp. It has a great sounding mic channel.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
...I wonder if they had partnered with one of the big online retailers things might have turned out differently. Their margins would no doubt have been smaller but with greater exposure they might have made that up in volume...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline Music View Post
...Those amps needed to be in stores, where retailers could promote them....
Not knowing the actual details of why they closed, I tend to agree...

Carvin was a name I always knew of, but the product was always something that was "out there" somewhere, but never present in the stores where one could actually see, try, and buy. A consumer had to take a leap of faith...and with a lot of other good offerings that were easily and locally available, I can see where that would work against sales.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:31 AM

There could be many reasons for what we are seeing...

The most common one I have run across is:
Nobody in the family wants to take it over and run the business...

Often as not - the founder is driven to succeed and has a deep understanding of the business and market... Their kids may not share the same enthusiasm or ability..

The other thing is... The market in the USA has changed a lot. There was a pretty significant bubble 10 years ago - everybody was seeing growth and success. You didn't need managers and staff with a bunch of in depth industry and process knowledge to make money... You just had to be "In the game.."
Old 10-10-2017, 10:01 AM

Hello everyone,

its so sad that Carvin Audio is closing down, I have heard so much good stuff about them, I was planning to buy the AG300 amp. Are there any other amplifiers that are just as good as the carvin ones for acoustic/classical guitars in the market?
Old 10-10-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckjohn View Post
There could be many reasons for what we are seeing...

The most common one I have run across is:
Nobody in the family wants to take it over and run the business...

Often as not - the founder is driven to succeed and has a deep understanding of the business and market... Their kids may not share the same enthusiasm or ability..

The other thing is... The market in the USA has changed a lot. There was a pretty significant bubble 10 years ago - everybody was seeing growth and success. You didn't need managers and staff with a bunch of in depth industry and process knowledge to make money... You just had to be "In the game.."
The family side of Carvin split off a year or two or three back to run a guitar concern, Kiesel Guitars. Basically still the Carvin sales model with the family last name. Don't know why exactly the audio side isn't working. Their products have always had tragic resale and, like it or not undeserved or not, a spotty reputation. And in the internet fostered flipper style market, the resale problem kept them from getting any foothold at all. But I suspect ultimately their business model for audio just wasn't sustainable. AND the family left the building.

hunter
Old 10-10-2017, 11:11 AM

There are a couple of YouTube videos about the closure...sorry no links...just search for "carvin closing."

Their take is that the cost of "made in America" is getting unsustainable.

There were interesting remarks in the comments though, about the high cost of doing business in California.

I guess it's still all speculation for now, but still interesting.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification