The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-09-2024, 07:43 PM

Default Rosette stain

Hi guys. I inlaid the rosette on guitar 4 and had some staining of the spruce. It’s not ca stain but rather a bluish color off of my dyed wood veneers. I sealed the channels or so I thought with shellac and then inserted the lines and then flooded it with thin ca. not sure if I used too much ca, crushed the seal coat because my lines were too tight, or what. Thoughts? I’m considering sealing the lines themselves next time as insurance. Anyone else had this struggle, and how did you solve it?
Old 05-09-2024, 07:48 PM

I use CA if using plastic purfling for a rosette. I've not had plastic run.

I use titebond for a wood rosette. Usually doesn't run.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:16 PM

Default Shellac as a sealer…

I use shellac a great deal and it can be an excellent sealer but it can take quite a lot to seal endgrain adequately. The alcohol in shellac solutions can on occasion cause colours to run. It may also be that the CA glue has leached the colour out of the purfling lines. There’s also the risk of yellow staining on spruce though I.m aware that’s not the problem here.

Titebond or HHG are both good options for rosettes. I’ve never had a problem with either causing colour run or staining. You can use epoxy resin to fill any small gaps at the end. One of the transparent finishing resins is probably best.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair