The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-09-2024, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Sophisticated scam?

I want to alert AGF members to what may be a sophisticated scam attempt that happened yesterday. I have a post on AGF Classified asking if anyone might be interested in selling or trading a Gurian guitar. I included my email as a contact (since removed).

I was contacted by someone claiming to be James Witsel at [email protected] who said he/she had what I was looking for and gave me very specific specs matching the guitar as well as pictures. We agreed on a price and I was given a PayPal account "Here's my PayPal address @MilagrosTorres76 Via friends and family." I also asked for his AGF handle and he gave me a legitimate name, which I double checked as one existing on the Forum.

I replied that I would only do standard PP and would add the cost of fees to the agreed sale amount, explaining why this is my standard with larger transactions. The sender replied he was doing this for a friend and the friend could only received PP F&F. I challenged this and stated, "We need to be very transparent in our transactions. Who is your friend and why will he not do that? Also, whether or not we make a deal, please go to AGF and reply to the message I sent you. Otherwise I will need to inform AGF."

I then sent a PM to the AGF address and the owner confirmed that he was not James Witsel. I never received a reply back from the email sender, so I am posting this for everyone.

Naturally there are other possible explanations for why the sender did not reply to my last email, but in an abundance of caution I am informing the Forum of this possibility and asking if anyone else has had similar interactions.
Old 05-09-2024, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Good job here.

PayPal’s instructions are very specific with regard to buyer protection. A seller must invoice the buyer, the buyer remits funds per the invoice, PayPal takes their service fee from seller’s gross funds received, and the seller must ship only to the PayPal buyer’s address on file.

Your attempted scammer 1) did not invoice you, and 2) attempted to get you to pay via Friends and Family which would have made you ineligible for buyer protection. Your money would have been gone with no way to get it back.

Never do FF with people you don’t know.
Old 05-09-2024, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Post Thanks

Pretty straightforward.

A concern is how this individual got access to my Forum classified.
Old 05-09-2024, 03:46 PM

actually I have seen this type of scam on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace many times in the last few year when trying to sell things. I still try to sell but its cash only and no shipping. No cash apps for me ever.
Old 05-09-2024, 04:13 PM

Thanks for raising awareness. Scammers are definitely getting more sophisticated, but there are still red flags, even if subtle, to pick up on (as you did).
Old 05-09-2024, 04:18 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVLguy View Post
Pretty straightforward.

A concern is how this individual got access to my Forum classified.
The forum is wide open for all the see. Anyone who can get on the internet can view our classifieds.

Your two mistakes were putting your email address out there and then transacting over email without verifying they were a member here.

Remember, AGF provides the classifieds as a courtesy to our Charter members and does not do any policing/vetting of any buyers or sellers. It is akin to an ad hanging up at your local library/whatever.

Be safe out there everyone!
Old 05-09-2024, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

I see mamma didn’t raise a fool
And Thanks for letting us know
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 05-09-2024, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Doesn't sound sophisticated. Just sounds like a basic internet scam, the kind that's been going on for decades now.

Also, you shouldn't be posting anyone's full name unless they've granted you permission. Even if it was made up for the scam, people with that name probably don't appreciate being mentioned as part of an internet scam.
Old 05-09-2024, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Good catch, AVLguy......
Old 05-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the heads up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic