The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-02-2024, 12:05 PM

Default LR Baggs Element - how to improve balance across the strings

I have the LR Baggs Element VTC installed in my Epiphone J-45 and the low E string produces significantly lower output than other strings.
So far, to fix the problem I've tried repositioning the transducer, checking if there is an uneven saddle (there isn't), placing plastic shims between the the bridge and the transducer.
Nothing has worked. Any other suggestions?
Could it be a phase issue within the guitar itself or the Element?
Old 04-02-2024, 01:18 PM

Have you tried loosening the strings and tuning up the low E first ? Is the piezo installed at an angle or is the hole straight down. If not at an angle it can potentially kink the piezo.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 04-02-2024, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Is the element coming in from the treble of bass side.
Drilling a slight indent into the bridge where the element ends, and tucking the strip into the indent will ensure the pick up does not end over the E string. If the pick up is coming in from the low E side then that that’s not the issue.

As mentioned, the pick up should come in at an angel.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 04-02-2024, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

After you try what Nick84and MBroady said, try a thin piece of paper or tin foil folded to equal a thin piece of paper. Put it only under the low E string. That may give the E string area a little more pressure on the pickup.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

Last edited by jricc; 04-02-2024 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-02-2024, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
After you try what Nick84 said, try a thin piece of paper or tin foil folded to equal a thin piece of paper. Put it only under the low E string. That may give the E string area a little more pressure on the pickup.
I use masking tape cut in thin slices as it stays put during handling of the saddle, but the approach absolutely works every time. Sometimes multiple layers are required.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 04-02-2024, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I use masking tape cut in thin slices as it stays put during handling of the saddle, but the approach absolutely works every time. Sometimes multiple layers are required.
That's a smart idea Jon!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 04-02-2024, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
+1

On the basis that my experience of the Element is that, despite it’s faults, the coverage across the strings has been pretty solid, suggesting your issue is one of saddle/pickup interface rather than specific to the pickup.
Old 04-03-2024, 04:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
I have the LR Baggs Element VTC installed in my Epiphone J-45 and the low E string produces significantly lower output than other strings.
So far, to fix the problem I've tried repositioning the transducer, checking if there is an uneven saddle (there isn't), placing plastic shims between the the bridge and the transducer.
Nothing has worked. Any other suggestions?
Could it be a phase issue within the guitar itself or the Element?
Have you checked the bottom of the saddle slot for flatness? Also, does your saddle slide in and out of the slot with little or no pressure without hanging up on the slot's sides? It's good to make sure that the bottom of the entire length of the saddle can make contact with the Element UST.
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 04-03-2024, 11:36 AM

Thank you everyone for the advice.

So here is what I've done today: made the saddle a bit thinner so it slides in and out easily - didn't help. Then I tried adding shims under the element, then above the element - didn't help.
I put a piece of shim under the low E string only - didn't help. Finally I put two layers of the shim under and above the low E string and that worked to get the sound fairly balanced.
But it sounds terrible on top of generally unimpressive UST sound. I guess I might need a new saddle and see if that helps but today it took me 6 attempts of taking the strings off the bridge and a broken string too.
Old 04-03-2024, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

I had the same problem with my new (to me) Emerald X7 I got several months back. In my case, the low E was super HOT while high E was a little hot and the middle strings were too quiet. I bought a new saddle and shaped it to fit perfectly and I still had balance issues so I tried the metallic foil tape and that worked very well. It's just some foil tape with a sticky back that I've had so long I don't know where it came from. It might actually be something I got from my dad's tools I got after he passed which would make it very old!

The foil tape applied under the A, D and G strings. When all was said and done there were more pieces added but I didn't get photos of that.

Old 04-03-2024, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
Thank you everyone for the advice.

So here is what I've done today: made the saddle a bit thinner so it slides in and out easily - didn't help. Then I tried adding shims under the element, then above the element - didn't help.
I put a piece of shim under the low E string only - didn't help. Finally I put two layers of the shim under and above the low E string and that worked to get the sound fairly balanced.
But it sounds terrible on top of generally unimpressive UST sound. I guess I might need a new saddle and see if that helps but today it took me 6 attempts of taking the strings off the bridge and a broken string too.
I had a string balance problem with the Element UST in my now-gone circa 2009 RainSong DR1000 with the E-6th string sounding softer than the other strings. I did everything to the saddle including cutting notches in its bottom between the strings to try to improve string vibration transfer. I also made sure the bottom of the saddle slot was flat. All to no avail. I contacted RainSong and they sent me a new Element UST that I installed and the problem was solved. I don't know if Epiphone or LR Baggs would exchange your Element for a new one but you could try.
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 04-06-2024 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-03-2024, 04:10 PM

Unless you’ve sanded the bottom of the saddle so that it’s not completely flat, stop messing with the saddle. The Baggs Element braided UST wire is flexible. It comes up through the hole in the bridge slot and the other end gets seated in a hole on the opposite end of the bridge slot. Pull the saddle, lift the UST out and “move it over” - in other words pull a little more of the UST wire into the saddle slot and push more of the end of the UST into the hole.

Get the braid as flat as you can by gently pressing it down into the saddle slot with something wood or plastic. Sometimes you just need to play with the UST braid a bit to get the string to string balance right.
1972 Gibson SJ Deluxe
2019 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird Fixed Bridge

…don’t even get me started on electrics - too many to list.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:58 PM

Have you tried a different saddle? Some bone saddles have poor balance. Tusq also, though maybe it will be more consistent. Make sure the saddle is absolutely flat on bottom. I try to be lucky on height and not sand the bottom at all beyond a little touch-up.

I like these cheap and cheerful true bone saddles:

Musiclily Pro 73.15mm Universal... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P1JX8RK...p_mob_ap_share

Or a MacNichol in whatever is the correct radius. Here is the 16”. Bone Guitar Saddle – Fully... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NQ3KS24...p_mob_ap_share

More things to try:

Make sure the saddle slot is flat with the hole for the ribbon slightly chamfered.

If there is a black dot on the end of the ribbon, I think it should face up.

Loosen strings, tune a couple treble strings, then a bass string, then the G, D, and A. Or try the reverse in OP’s case.

The slot also might not be long enough. Sometimes you need a tiny hole at the treble side, and push the tip of the ribbon into that hole.
Furch D24 SR 12 string
Rickenbacker 330w 6 string
Old 04-04-2024, 01:56 PM

A couple things I tried today as some of you suggested.
First I changed the saddle (to a cheap, plastic one) then I played around with the braided UST wire moving it back and forth. Still the problem remains.
I'm thinking about giving up and getting the Baggs Lyric which never had a string balance problem.
The only reason for me to keep the Element was that it came with the guitar and also to have one acoustic with reliable pickup in terms of feedback.
Old 04-13-2024, 11:26 AM

Update.
I gave up on the LR Baggs Element, even with a new saddle it was still unbalanced.
So I bought and installed the old and trusty K&K pure mini pickup.
And it sounds good plugged straight into the Da Capo 75 amp as expected. So I'm happy now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification