The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-25-2014, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Stehr SJ Sinker-Braz build thread

Hi all! After many months of procrastination, and thread posting shyness, I've finally decided to do a shotgun post on my Stehr SJ build that was actually started earlier this summer.

Here are some of the specs...

8 string Small Jumbo
Sinker Redwood top
Brazilian Rosewood back and sides (double sides with stained Hog inners)
Macassar Ebony binding
Gold (Brown) MOP inlays and top purfling
Maple purfling everywhere else
Soundport
Rib and Arm Bevels
Venetian Cut Away
5 piece neck Mahogany, Maple and Peruvian Walnut center

First for some brief history of me, then I'll get to how I became acquainted with Joel.

I'm 41 years old, and have been plucking around with guitars since I was around 12 years old. To this day, I have never taken a lesson, I can't read music, and I think it would be a stretch to call myself a good player. Regardless of that fact, I still enjoy the craftsmanship and quality of a fine guitar. Add the fact that I only need to please myself with my playing, I've set the bar is so low that everything else is gravy I consider myself unbelievably lucky to have a wonderful wife and 3 amazing kids, and I also am extremely lucky to be able to own and play these wonderful instruments. That is what makes me happy, so that is what I do. I had always had a beater of a guitar as a youth, and when I was able to afford it, my first "high end" guitar was a Yamaha that cost me around $600 that I bought when I was around 24 years old. My next big purchase was a Custom Martin dread that I bought when I was around 27. This was the holy grail for me at the time, and since then, I have continued to enjoy plucking along and learned quite a few songs along the way. I still am a hacker, but I enjoy continuing to learn new songs and the only person I aim to please with my playing is me! I have never had intentions to play in public, nor do I ever want to.

Sometime around 2010 (I think), I was perusing around on eBay, and I came across a Redwood/Macassar McPherson. I had played one at a local shop once before, and I was able to make a deal with INVGUY aka WOODY aka Mike known here on the forum. At that same time, I was introduced to the forum by Mike, so if you are out there, thanks for opening up my world! I have since parted ways with that wonderful guitar (in fact Mike ended up with the Mc again in a roundabout way)

Now that I had been bitten by the bug, I fell in love with so many luthiers, and I also fell in love with the nostalgia of Sinker Redwood. I ended up finding one for sale from Artisan Guitars, and it happened to be a Stehr GC sinker/olivewood beauty. I called to inquire about it. The lady there told me the guitar was great, but encouraged me to contact Joel for more detailed info. I obliged, and to my surprise, I found that Joel was incredibly courteous and fun to write to. He said it was a great guitar, but his building chops had improved a lot since and suggested he build one for me (there's always a salesman in there somewhere). I ended up purchasing the guitar and utilized Artisan to sell my Taylor T5 that I didn't play much (by the way, they are great!). Since then, I was able to make some deals and trades along the way, and a bit of GAS has come and gone. I even ended up with another Stehr GC LS Redwood/EIR that will most likely be for sale in the near future due to the fact that I am getting a bit too Stehr heavy in my stable (however Joel doesn't believe that is possible).

Sometime before Healdsburg, Joel informed me that he was about to start on my build, and we had a plan to do an intricate inlay with a hummingbird. I had drawn up some ideas, and we agreed to outsource the inlay work. He made the neck and fretboard and sent it off shortly before Hburg. Lucky for me, I made the trek out to Hburg, and was able to meet Joel in person. Did I say he was a super gracious and nice guy? I also met many luthiers that I hope to someday commission with that not only build wonderful guitars, but are super cool people. At the top of my list are, Steve Sheriff (Edwinson), Michael Bashkin, Mike Barinik, and a few others, but I think I need to hit the lottery first (sorry if I misspelled names).

Since then, we hit some hickups due to the fact that the person we chose to do the inlays ended up having the neck for way too long. He eventually told Joel that he didn't have time, and we decided to move in a different direction. I have absolutely no heartburn with Joel for the snafu, and once we decided to scrap the original idea, it was off to the races. We ended up deciding on a viney theme to Joel's leaf trademark, and while Joel should have all the credit for the artistic creation, he allowed me to give input and suggestions along the way. It's been a fun journey, and Joel's been a good friend since the day I contacted him.

So, I apologize for the long missive. Joel tells me that he should have it back soon from the finisher, and I should have it soon! So, without further ado, here are a bunch of pics of the build.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

It took me a little bit to figure out how to post. I've got a whole lot more pictures, but my daughter turned 4 today, and its off to a party. I'll get more posted tonight
Old 01-25-2014, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Very interesting wood, will sure be a looker.... Thanks for sharing, will be fun watching come together
Old 01-25-2014, 02:58 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
Wowzers! Can't wait to see the pictures of that under finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
Very interesting wood, will sure be a looker.... Thanks for sharing, will be fun watching come together
He said this was a late thread--it's already in the finishing stage
Old 01-25-2014, 03:07 PM

Those sides look like they'd be quite difficult to bend.

Striking figure for sure!
Old 01-25-2014, 06:18 PM

Wow, that is some really interesting wood! I'll be looking forward to the rest of your report.

2008 Taylor 714ce Fall Ltd. Koa/Cedar
Old 01-25-2014, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Following eagerly as well!!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 01-25-2014, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

Alas, some more pics. Umm a lot more pics!

I tried to get them in order of the build, as I mentioned before
Joel prepped and sent this away early on only to get it sent out.

Bending the sides

The Concept that we eventually came up with.

The finished rosette is pretty darn cool if you ask me.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

Closing her up!

The excitement keeps building along with Joel!!!

Old 01-25-2014, 11:05 PM
Charter Member

Getting ready to carve the turkey!

Ready for the finisher!!! Awesome words to hear.

My update from last night. I'm thrilled and excited to hold her in my arms

By the way, last night, aside from this good news, I was fortunate enough to go see Tommy Emmanuel and Martin Taylor perform. After seeing them, I told Joel that I didn't want it anymore, and in fact, I've burnt the rest of my guitars He wasn't a very good sport, and he said he was going to send a demand letter from one of his snobby high class NY attorneys if I didn't pay up.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:28 AM

She looks great!

2008 Taylor 714ce Fall Ltd. Koa/Cedar
Old 01-26-2014, 07:53 PM

Joel, that's the nicest looking fret holder I've ever seen

What an awesome looking guitar!!!!
Old 01-26-2014, 08:00 PM

Default Stehr SJ Sinker-Braz build thread

Stunning guitar!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2014, 09:48 PM

That thing is just WOW! A big thumbs up to Stehr!
Old 01-27-2014, 08:32 AM

everytime I see one of your buildings... wow Joel. So nice!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop