The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-12-2024, 09:57 AM

Default 55 Bucks just saved me from buying a new guitar

I was toying with the idea of just getting a GS Mini as my only guitar as it is so much easier for me to play and learn on than my Yamaha. My Yamaha FSX800C was getting a setup and strings done when I made that post about the Mini last week. The guy at the shop called me the other day and said my guitar was done and that he wanted me to stop over and really try it out. He said I’d be blown away by what he did and the strings. I was a little skeptical. Anyway, I show up, he told me how he shaved the saddle, adjusted the truss rod, and installed these lighter DR Acoustic/electric strings. I sat down to play and my mind was blown. I barely have to touch the strings and I get a super clean note. It’s sooo easy to play now. Way easier than even the mini. Looking forward to some learning some barre chords now in Justin Guitar Grade 2. I guess a proper setup on these guitars is really important.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:14 AM

You haven't been saved from buying a new guitar; you've just delayed the inevitable. Enjoy the new setup. It makes a big difference when you have a guitar that's easy to play.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Imagine what the GS Mini will be like after being properly set up...
Old 04-12-2024, 10:26 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Proper setup for all guitars is a must, in my book. Everything that can be done from nut to saddle to improve playability should be done. That's how you get the most out of every instrument.

The real issue is $$$. Simple setups are not too costly... but having frets pulled, fingerboard leveled, frets replaced, dressed and leveled, nut, saddle, and sometimes bridge adjusted... that stuff gets expensive! But once it's done you'll wonder why you waited so long...

Then there's upgrades for tuners... and pickups...
Old 04-12-2024, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picker1 View Post
You haven't been saved from buying a new guitar; you've just delayed the inevitable. Enjoy the new setup. It makes a big difference when you have a guitar that's easy to play.
Lol this is true. Just delayed
Old 04-12-2024, 10:45 AM

Now all those songs that were a little tough to play will spring to new life! You might also find yourself learning new things and spending more quality time with the guitar.

Good move on the set up.
Old 04-12-2024, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBenham View Post
I was toying with the idea of just getting a GS Mini as my only guitar as it is so much easier for me to play and learn on than my Yamaha. My Yamaha FSX800C was getting a setup and strings done when I made that post about the Mini last week. The guy at the shop called me the other day and said my guitar was done and that he wanted me to stop over and really try it out. He said I’d be blown away by what he did and the strings. I was a little skeptical. Anyway, I show up, he told me how he shaved the saddle, adjusted the truss rod, and installed these lighter DR Acoustic/electric strings. I sat down to play and my mind was blown. I barely have to touch the strings and I get a super clean note. It’s sooo easy to play now. Way easier than even the mini. Looking forward to some learning some barre chords now in Justin Guitar Grade 2. I guess a proper setup on these guitars is really important.
Hi Jay…

Your post made me smile out loud.

Well done setups are like magic.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-13-2024, 05:50 AM

What gage strings? 10's 11's
Old 04-13-2024, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Jay…Your post made me smile out loud.
Well done setups are like magic.
They are. Anyone who opines that their guitar is faulty because of... low volume, buzzing, bad intonation, hard to play.... likely hasn't done the bare-minimum of guitar-ownership 101 and had a proper (complete) set up, with the strings they plan to play. From my experience, every guitar will benefit, in some way, with a full/complete set up. The only exception, maybe, is if you work directly, on every aspect, with a custom builder who builds a guitar to your exact specifications - and even then - after the guitar has settled in, it likely needs (or would benefit from) some tweaking.
Old 04-13-2024, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Good for you, Jay!

A good setup on your guitar can make a huge difference!

- Glenn
Old 04-13-2024, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picker1 View Post
Perfectly said!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion