The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-18-2018, 09:10 AM

Default NGD Rainsong 12 fret OM

Well, I finally feel like I belong in this group! Received my Rainsong 12 fret OM yesterday (from the Hybrid series.) It's great!

The 12 fret, with less string tension, makes it very comfortable to play. The factory setup is perfect. I love the neck, love the sound...love everything about it.

I originally went with a Journey RT660. It's a fine guitar, but I just didn't connect with it.

The Rainsong fits my need perfectly. This guitar is going to get a lot of my playing time...

A great woman...
Two really nice guitars...
I am blessed.

Last edited by Acousticado; 03-18-2018 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:19 AM

Congrats on the Rainsong, have to agree, the playability on my Shorty is just superb and the tone is awesome! Try a set of SCGC low tensions on that guy and it will really wake it up even more! Takes about a week for them to settle in but make the sweetest sounding acoustic, with overtones and sustain.
Have also found over the past few years of CF and wood as well a heavier pick mellows them out, I use a 1.5 a Casein pick works wonders on tone, thinner picks make more treble and thinner tone.

Last edited by Acousticado; 03-18-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:43 AM
Guest 928

Actaylor;

Congratulations. Rainsong is definitely on a roll with some very nice guitars--and you have one. Enjoy!
Old 03-18-2018, 10:02 AM

Yay and welcome to Club RainSong - OM division. A fine guitar you have there now.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-18-2018, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Hard to beat a RS OM 12 fret ! Congrats on a fine guitar.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:18 AM

Question Gonna buy CF parlor but....

Hi All,

I have not posted here in a long time but I know this is where you get solid info!

I am selling all my guitars and replacing them with just one indestructible Carbon Fiber Parlor Guitar.
I think most of the CF parlors are great BUT I want one with a nut wider than
1 3/4"

I have played a conventional parlor with a 1 7/8" nut.....wonderful! I read about a guy with meat hooks like mine. He posted a photo that showed his hand cording a neck with a 1.9" nut. I gotta have one.

Suggestions?
Sorry folks! I posted in the wrong place.....make allowances I am old (actually elderly and senile).

Last edited by Braindead; 03-20-2018 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:43 AM

Congrats! The CH-OM is a great guitar. I bought a Shorty back in 2014 and absolutely love it. Aside from great tone, the guitar is perfect from a specs standpoint- at least in my view. The only things I didn’t like about it I’ve been able to make modifications on: dropping the saddle significantly for fingerstyle action, adding a John Pearse armrest, and turning the gloss neck into a satin one (I also bought the acoustic version and later put in a K&K PM). I’ve tried a ton of strings and the best for me so far have been Martin Retros, SCGC Low Tension (as mentioned already by Jerry), and GHS Silk and Bronze. The Shorty has the GHS on it right now and they have been on since Christmas- still holding great intonation and tone. If you play fingerstyle they are certainly worth putting on your list to try- but like any string, give a couple days to break in to hear their true character.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:50 AM

Congrats on a great guitar! I’d enjoyed my Shorty for several years now. It’s my favorite for fingerstyle. Have Martin Monel Retros on it now, love the warm tone. Welcome to the CF forum.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braindead View Post
Hi All,

I have not posted here in a long time but I know this is where you get solid info!

I am selling all my guitars and replacing them with just one indestructible Carbon Fiber Parlor Guitar.
I think most of the CF parlors are great BUT I want one with a nut wider than
1 3/4"

I have played a conventional parlor with a 1 7/8" nut.....wonderful! I read about a guy with meat hooks like mine. He posted a photo that showed his hand cording a neck with a 1.9" nut. I gotta have one....

Suggestions?

I suggest a new separate thread as it will help you a lot and we will find your question easier...Also check out the next post below by my Unc Evy
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

Last edited by kramster; 03-18-2018 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Updated real quick like...
Old 03-18-2018, 12:42 PM
Guest 928

Braindead;

I like nylon strung instruments, most of which have 2" nut width--which I don't like. The hybrid nylons have moved to a 1 7/8" width which I like a lot. I've been buying my CF instruments from Emerald in part because I can get the hybrid width. I have a Rainsong Parlor nylon string that has the 1 6/8" nut which took me a while to get used to and I had to get more precise. I like the RS Parlor a lot, but I still would like it better with a bit wider nut width.

I'm not sure of the nut width on RS steel string parlor guitars , but if they are 1 6/8 you might be able to adapt. Or, you might want to check out Emerald for an X7 or X10 with the width you prefer.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braindead View Post
I have played a conventional parlor with a 1 7/8" nut.....wonderful! I read about a guy with meat hooks like mine. He posted a photo that showed his hand cording a neck with a 1.9" nut. I gotta have one.
Suggestions?
Emerald is really great about custom options. Maybe you could get an X20 built with the 1-7/8" nut width from a twelve string? When my X20-12 first arrived wearing heavy strings I first took off the octaves, essentially leaving behind a light gauge 54-12 set. I had to move one string over to another slot, and the spacing wasn't ideal without a new nut, but it was really fun playing that wide neck for an hour or so.

Also, there was discussion recently about a Rainsong WS-9000 nylon string crossover. It's not a regular production model any more, but they can be ordered. Perhaps a call to Dave at Rainsong, or contact a certain rather well-known dealer of carbon fiber guitars in SoCal who could enlighten you as to the options.

And you are not the only one divesting themselves of wood guitars to simplify and go all CF.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new Rainsong! We'd love to see some photos of it. I was considering the RT660 as well but since I already have an X20 I went with the OF660 for travel. Great little guitars.

Last edited by Acousticado; 03-18-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:12 PM

Congrats! In silhouette, your guitar is exactly the same as my Shorty, which is the most comfortable couch guitar ever made. Enjoy!
Old 03-18-2018, 05:14 PM

Im am only gonna ask once... or maybe three times ..Photos please?? ?? Not just for me but for all of man and woman kind.... no pressure
Old 03-18-2018, 05:53 PM
Guest 928

Mr. K;

You are so passive! I want pictures now! No third chances! Get to it! We're serious here.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber