The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-17-2022, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
I have a Bose S1 Pro (among other systems) and I absolutely love it with my EAE Gigmix in front of it. It's a lot more tricky to use without the mixer. For what you're wanting to do I would recommend skipping the Loudbox Mini and get the Loudbox Artist. It's very versatile and sounds great with the guitar and mic plugged directly into the amp. It's what I use for my standing Wednesday night gig and it's very simple and straightforward to use and sounds great.
I second this (even though I also seconded the Mini!) as for just a little bit more (especially if you buy used - which I also recommend!) you get a whole lot more amp in the Artist. It's only a little bigger and heavier but it's much more powerful and also has more inputs, better effects and even phantom power which can be very useful. The Artist will 'grow' with you as you start to play out in bigger venues, if that is something you hope to one day do.

The Fishman Performer is quite a bit bigger and heavier than the mini and way more powerful. If you need this much power then there are other amps you should also be considering. The Artist splits the line evenly between the two.
Old 10-17-2022, 10:24 AM
Musical minimalist

I'll say what I always say in response to this question...

Get yourself a decent quality 10 or 12 inch powered speaker and a small mixer with either an eq or at least a 3 band per channel eq and effects (phantom power too)

You'll have way less into it than some of the amps in consideration, and better sound with more versatility due to more channels and adjustability.

Plus, it's easy at that point to add a second powered speaker if you need to expand at some point.

I have an Alto TS312 on a stand and a Yamaha MG10XU mixer - sounds wonderful, lightweight and tons of options for tone!

Old 10-17-2022, 11:58 AM

Lots of options.

once you have decided how much you want to spend,, that puts you at least in the ball park of what's available.

And the BOSE S1 has many good practical uses. I have two S1 PROs that I put on poles and run off my board (aka: power speakers.) They are good for that
I've even used one out in an Apple Orchard to do a wedding ceremony. (No outlets on Apple Trees) and it did a bang-up job that day.

Used one to amplify a digital piano at a show I was in this week, wasn't playing piano, but I did let the pianist use my Yamaha PF140 and S1. Sounded phenomenal.

But, -- IMHO it is not the optimum "plug and play" platform for amplifying an acoustic guitar.

The Fishman Loudbox Artist/Mini or a Fender Acoustasonic series might be a bit better suited (and cheaper) than the Bose S1 Pro.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

Last edited by rmp; 10-17-2022 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
Many thanks for the quick and helpful replies.
First off, I should have mentioned that amplification would be for both vocal and guitar. That being the case, I understand that the S1 may be more suitable that the Fishman. If I wanted to splurge and go for the AER, would that be suitable for both vocals and guitar. And would I need any other devices - preamp, mixer, etc. And by that I mean, just to get up and going - not, at this point to engage in the amplification equivalent of bridge pin mods.
Hoyt, you mention that I could add a mixer and preamp to the S1. Could you explain. As I understand it, the Anthem has an onboard preamp. What would be the purpose of a second one?
Finally, do you guys use this kind of system when you are rehearsing, essentially as a monitor. If so, is that practical and helpful to hear how you sound to the audience?
Thanks, again, all. Just another guitar thing to perseverate over....love it.
David
While the Fishman Loudbox Mini has received a few mentions, it only has one output to feed a house system if you take it out with you. Not mentioned before is that the two larger Fishman Loudbox models, Artist and Performer have separate outputs for Vocal and Instrument channels. As has been mentioned before, they have more amplifier power and more controls as well. Larger, heavier and a bit more expensive for the extras they provide, of course.
Old 10-17-2022, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

OP here. Thanks for all the suggestions. I will explore all of them. I think the best thing for me to do at this point, now that I have these suggestions in hand, is to figure out exactly what I plan to do with a system, and then buy appropriately. Thanks again.
David
Old 10-17-2022, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
OP here. Thanks for all the suggestions. I will explore all of them. I think the best thing for me to do at this point, now that I have these suggestions in hand, is to figure out exactly what I plan to do with a system, and then buy appropriately. Thanks again.
David
Good luck David, let us know what you decide on.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 10-17-2022, 06:31 PM

Get yourself a decent quality 10 or 12 inch powered speaker and a small mixer with either an eq or at least a 3 band per channel eq and effects (phantom power too)

You'll have way less into it than some of the amps in consideration, and better sound with more versatility due to more channels and adjustability.

Most powered speakers/PA's are only 2 channels.
That is enough for one person but if you go with a powered speaker and a small mixer, you have so many more choices.

I have a JBP Eon One and a Bose S1 Pro.
Both are great systems but there are times that I also need to use my Yamaha Mixer to allow for more channels.
Old 10-17-2022, 06:59 PM

Quote:
David
I think that's an excellent path to take. My suggestions were based on your original post, but there have been many other good alternatives, mostly based on possible future scenarios.

No need to spend several hundred on capacity you'll never need, and you can always upscale later as necessary. Buying smart means you can always sell your lower-tier used equipment as you purchase more capacity when and if you ever need to do that.

I'm always a proponent of the simplest and lightest weight system, with the fewest number of interconnected pieces for the fewest problems. I've had a few different full PA systems in the past and it's no fun when unanticipated problems crop up. I LOVE walking in with a simple combo amp type of system in one hand and guitar in the other.

Whatever you ultimately choose, do have fun with it. That's the ultimate goal in playing music, so don't let anything get in the way of that.
Old 10-17-2022, 08:20 PM

Another hand raised here for the Loudbox Mini. I've used it at small to medium solo gigs for guitar and vocal mic, and it was a good solution. A buddy of mine does larger solo gigs and uses the Loudbox Artist, he's quite happy with it.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 10-19-2022, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

While the Loudbox Mini is a wonderful little amp and will serve for both guitar and voice, in truth, it can not begin to come close to what the AER Compact will do...

I own an older Compact 60/2, and I play 6 and 12 string guitar and vocals through it. At the basic level, I plug my mic into channel 2 and my Anthem SL-equipped guitar into channel 1... adjust the individual volume levels and then set the Master volume for how loud I want it. Pretty straightforward.

When I'm actually doing a gig with it, I have a small Bose T1 mixer/tone generator that I use. The mixer sits on a small shelf that affixes to my mic stand. This lets me plug in both 6 and 12 string guitars, along with my microphone, and then lets me control volume and tone from where I sit on stage. I will always have the amp a fair distance from me (~15' or more) to lessen any possible feedback. The amp is angled to cover the audience, and canted slightly so I am in the edge of the "cone of dispersion" and can hear my guitar and voice clearly.

That little AER produces an incredible amount of very clean volume for its size and weight (~13#s!!!)... I have played rooms that were very big, with up to 100+ people, and never had the Master volume over 12 o'clock on a dial!

My main PA is a Bose L1 Model II w/ B1 subwoofer, and I prefer that over anything else I have ever played through... but for ease of transportation and marvelous sound, the AER can't be beat! Even as a 71 year-old man with "back drama", I can schlep 13#s easy enough!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-20-2022, 08:28 AM

Sounds like you don't play out a ton. If you plan on playing out, you'll want to practice through your amp (a lot) at home....both vocals and guitar. Mixer/mains option is great...but...you'll have to set it up and move it when/where you want to practice. I love going through my mixer/mains but almost never set them up at home. Mains will need a monitor...not all the time...but you should definitely be prepared and have one on hand. Setting up and tearing down at home and at gigs must be looked at realistically. I'd recommend an amp where vocals sound great to you. In my experience, if I have an amp that has a great acoustic tone but cannot get my vox to sound right (Udo) I almost never use it unless I'm just jamming on acoustic at home..no singing.

I've used almost every option suggested on this thread..for the money the S1 would be my recommendation in your situation. Vocals are great, guitar tone is very good too (i prefer, the tone of a fishman artist..but very close).

The fishman 330 can be bought used at about the same price as a new S1 and is infinitely more useful if you plan to eventually gig a lot. Guitar tone is better, vocals are better (imo) and it will handle most any room. Quick set up/tear down at home and at gigs. (S1 will handle much more than you might think by looking at it..they are close..but the 330 will reach further back..)

The S1 is a workhorse...330 may be overkill, but if you plan on a lot if gigging..take a look.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification