The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-23-2024, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma5 View Post
I hope I get to play it next fall. I'll bring my Nautilus for you to play. Also maybe some other guitars. Since I drive from home each day, I can bring a variety...

What a gorgeous guitar, and kudos to you for embracing an asymmetrical design. As guitarists we tend to revere what came before, and here you are going forward (also Ben) with something new!

Al

Thanks Al, of course you can play it and I hope to play yours!

This goes for anyone else out there as well. Wanna meet Ben and try his guitars of guitars from 12 other luthiers, set your calendars for Sept. 27th thru the 29th!
Old 01-27-2024, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
Congrats, man. Ben's guitars keep getting better and better. The last one that was at Dream Guitars was a real showstopper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I hope you got a chance to try it as I know it went out the door pretty fast.
It didn't even make it to the website!!!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 01-28-2024, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
It didn't even make it to the website!!!
Yep, tough problem to have right? How is your summer going?
Old 01-29-2024, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I was hoping for some more glamour shots to drool over!!
Pretty warm actually. Had a good break over Xmas and New Year, but coming back to work has been a struggle!!
I'm already driving the wife mad with talks/plans for a new build, so that's helping with passing the time!!!
Old 02-08-2024, 05:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

That's a beautiful guitar Tom. I think Ben has created one of the few really innovative guitar designs in the last century or so. Its one thing to make different guitar designs that are off the rails with two necks or a harp or scatter sound holes here and there, but to take the basic guitar shape and working within those parameters do something unique that is both artistically beautiful and functional and coherent is genius.
Old 02-08-2024, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Yeah, I was hoping for some more glamour shots to drool over!!
Pretty warm actually. Had a good break over Xmas and New Year, but coming back to work has been a struggle!!
I'm already driving the wife mad with talks/plans for a new build, so that's helping with passing the time!!!
LOL, double your pleasure right there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
That's a beautiful guitar Tom. I think Ben has created one of the few really innovative guitar designs in the last century or so. Its one thing to make different guitar designs that are off the rails with two necks or a harp or scatter sound holes here and there, but to take the basic guitar shape and working within those parameters do something unique that is both artistically beautiful and functional and coherent is genius.
Those are some pretty kind words there John. I too feel he has made a major break in design there and it has really changed his entire career in a good way. I am sure he finds great honor to get comments like that from his peers and I know personally that he thinks you and Steve build killer instruments.
Old 02-08-2024, 01:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
John, such words from a builder whom I respect as much as you are indeed music to my ears. I am not certain I deserve such high praise, but I'll take it and say my very heartfelt thank you's.

This also goes for everyone who has been so kind, enthusiastic and interested in this thread. I've been kind of lurking in the background rather than taking part, but I really appreciate everyone's participation. Naturally, I spend most of my waking hours alone in my shop, wondering what exactly is going on out there in the world, and this makes me feel connected to other humans in a very gratifying way. Thank you.
Old 02-12-2024, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Actually, it's finally showing on the website as a pending sale!
https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/in...an-spruce-259/
Old 02-17-2024, 10:03 AM

This did turn out so wonderful, Tom! I'm sure you're enjoying playing this one.

And BIG is on for the end of September? That's better than Labor Day weekend... mmm.... It sure was fun when I attended BIG #1! I still have the Koa and Redwood Wilborn I picked up there. It's such a gorgeous little guitar and plays bigger than its size... It's not going anywhere : )

My bests to you and Kathy-

beth
Old 02-17-2024, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainguitar View Post
This did turn out so wonderful, Tom! I'm sure you're enjoying playing this one.

And BIG is on for the end of September? That's better than Labor Day weekend... mmm.... It sure was fun when I attended BIG #1! I still have the Koa and Redwood Wilborn I picked up there. It's such a gorgeous little guitar and plays bigger than its size... It's not going anywhere : )

My bests to you and Kathy-

beth
I remember it well. B.I.G. has changed since you have been here, hopefully for the better. We would LOVE to see you again. Sept. 27th thru the 29th.

Thanks for your kind words, this is a great guitar to say the least. I am lucky to have it.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:40 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Beautiful guitar Tom. Ben has taken what other manufacturers started and taken each concept to another astonishing level. I was a big fan of McPherson guitars for some of these innovations, and yet those guitars were and are all so big. I always liked the idea of an offset soundhole even on Emerald guitars and yet I always thought their designs weren't as clean as they could be. Ben has definitely raised the bar in these areas and created one of the prettiest and cleanest looks out there. It's like a ferrari design that flows from stem to stern. And all of that on a guitar size that is just perfect for virtually any player. And from what I can hear from many of Bens videos he has a design that flat out sings! Tom, yours is certainly a cut above in every category.

I do have one question that I may have missed somewhere...what is the significance of the asian inlay at 7? I'm sorry if I overlooked it earlier in the thread. I once did an asian emblem on the headstock of a build, tied to the adoption we did from China 14 years ago. But I'd love to know the significance of that inlay...it is gorgeous and a super nice touch on the fretboard!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 02-18-2024, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Beautiful guitar Tom. Ben has taken what other manufacturers started and taken each concept to another astonishing level. I was a big fan of McPherson guitars for some of these innovations, and yet those guitars were and are all so big. I always liked the idea of an offset soundhole even on Emerald guitars and yet I always thought their designs weren't as clean as they could be. Ben has definitely raised the bar in these areas and created one of the prettiest and cleanest looks out there. It's like a ferrari design that flows from stem to stern. And all of that on a guitar size that is just perfect for virtually any player. And from what I can hear from many of Bens videos he has a design that flat out sings! Tom, yours is certainly a cut above in every category.

I do have one question that I may have missed somewhere...what is the significance of the asian inlay at 7? I'm sorry if I overlooked it earlier in the thread. I once did an asian emblem on the headstock of a build, tied to the adoption we did from China 14 years ago. But I'd love to know the significance of that inlay...it is gorgeous and a super nice touch on the fretboard!
Thank you for the kind words. Ben's differs from McPherson in many ways however, the bracing is completely different, the support for the neck, and the location/design of the sound hole in both the top and the side for instance. Both great guitars. Both based on similar concepts with different approaches to get there.

The inlay was a special deal with Ben and I that I requested. It is the figure for friendship and since meeting Ben in 2016, we have become life-long friends. Since this was very likely my last commission, I wanted something to signify this special thing, that is meeting Ben. He was touched and agreed to do it even though it is not his thing. I think in the end it meant a lot to the both of us as evidence by his almost crying when talking about it in the demo video. LOL, sissy haha.
Old 02-19-2024, 06:39 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Thank you for the kind words. Ben's differs from McPherson in many ways however, the bracing is completely different, the support for the neck, and the location/design of the sound hole in both the top and the side for instance. Both great guitars. Both based on similar concepts with different approaches to get there.

The inlay was a special deal with Ben and I that I requested. It is the figure for friendship and since meeting Ben in 2016, we have become life-long friends. Since this was very likely my last commission, I wanted something to signify this special thing, that is meeting Ben. He was touched and agreed to do it even though it is not his thing. I think in the end it meant a lot to the both of us as evidence by his almost crying when talking about it in the demo video. LOL, sissy haha.
You are right Tom! In my opinion Ben’s design is just spectacular. I’ve never played one of the comma series, but certainly the sound I hear in your video and others makes me want to. The friendship symbol is the icing on an already delicious cake. What an awesome story, thanks for sharing it.

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 02-19-2024, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think in the end it meant a lot to the both of us as evidence by his almost crying when talking about it in the demo video. LOL, sissy haha.

This paragraph was so touching and heartfelt and even welled my eyes up, but the end sobered me up and made me giggle. Thanks for the laugh!
Old 02-20-2024, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
This paragraph was so touching and heartfelt and even welled my eyes up, but the end sobered me up and made me giggle. Thanks for the laugh!
HAHA, glad to be of assistance, I try to keep the universe in balance with the ying and yang...heart felt statement followed by good natured ribbing keeps everything in tune for me!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop