The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-05-2023, 11:30 AM

Default Acoustic Guitar Pedal Board

Hey all, going to go off on an unusual topic today. It's not something I really see talked about much, so I am looking for some of input.

As you can see in my .sig (OMG, I just realized how dated that phrase is), my main focus is acoustics. Three of my four guitars have pickups in them (Sheraton II, 814CE DLX, and Guild F-512), and over the years, I've collected a few systems that benefit from pedals.

So far, my collection includes the Katana-100 (the Mark 1) with the GA-FC foot control switch, a Boss TU-3 Tuner (so I don't mar my finish with a clip-on), and a Boss RC-300 looper.

I know I might get one or two more effects for the Sheraton to add versatility, but my question is...What other Pedals would you get for an acoustic that you might not think of with a standard electric pedal board?

I like the Roland/Boss brand myself, but I am open to others as well. Eventually, I want a nice well rounded pedal board that I can play anything from AC/DC to America to Bon Seger to the Eagles to the Irish Rovers to ZZ Top.

Advice on both pedals and even accessories (like a power supply distribution) is appreciated as I am almost a complete newbie when it comes to designing a pedalboard.

Thanks in advance!
Stonehauler

(sorry, realized this is in the wrong forum, Mods, could you move it please to the right one?)

EDIT, so, based on the responses
Reverb, Delay, Octave, Shimmer, Chorus, maybe a compressor in addition to what I have. Think about distortion/overdrive/etc Thanks all.
2022 Guild F512E - Maple

Last edited by Stonehauler; 09-07-2023 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-05-2023, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Awesome thread here with all sorts of options:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=453942

-Mike
Old 09-05-2023, 03:20 PM

The 2 for or 3 for pedals CAN be good. For instance, I love my Keeley Caverns v2 with reverb and delay in one. I prefer having shimmer pedals to create ambient sounds. Delay will certainly help keep your loops on point. If you want a bass layer, an octave pedal should be considered, which would also give you a 12 string effect. Pog nano is good for that.
Old 09-05-2023, 04:20 PM

This is my current small acoustic board. At some point I'll drop down to one compressor but for now am testing both:

The harmonic trem is mostly for dobro. Delay is always on. I run extra power cables to a looper and vocal delay pedal. If I need more flexibility (especially needing to double, e.g. bass and electric guitar), this one goes out. Though I've pulled the Wampler and will move either the Empress or Diamond comp there:

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 09-07-2023, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehauler View Post
Hey all, going to go off on an unusual topic today. It's not something I really see talked about much, so I am looking for some of input.

As you can see in my .sig (OMG, I just realized how dated that phrase is), my main focus is acoustics. Three of my four guitars have pickups in them (Sheraton II, 814CE DLX, and Guild F-512), and over the years, I've collected a few systems that benefit from pedals.

So far, my collection includes the Katana-100 (the Mark 1) with the GA-FC foot control switch, a Boss TU-3 Tuner (so I don't mar my finish with a clip-on), and a Boss RC-300 looper.

I know I might get one or two more effects for the Sheraton to add versatility, but my question is...What other Pedals would you get for an acoustic that you might not think of with a standard electric pedal board?

I like the Roland/Boss brand myself, but I am open to others as well. Eventually, I want a nice well rounded pedal board that I can play anything from AC/DC to America to Bon Seger to the Eagles to the Irish Rovers to ZZ Top.

Advice on both pedals and even accessories (like a power supply distribution) is appreciated as I am almost a complete newbie when it comes to designing a pedalboard.

Thanks in advance!
Stonehauler

(sorry, realized this is in the wrong forum, Mods, could you move it please to the right one?)

Reverb, Delay, Octave, Shimmer, maybe a compressor in addition to what I have. Thanks all.
Good morning, Stonehauler.

I hope my reply gives you some positive direction in your endeavors.

This is my current acoustic board and I am about to replace the Sub N Up mini with the fullsize variant.

I found one used on GC and ordered it a couple days ago.

How I employ the pedals on this board is fairly easy.

The signal comes in through the first VP JR and travels to both the TU-2 and the DD-6.
My Flashback 2 is set for reverse. It "overpowers" the Boss fairly well.
Following that, I'm using a Walrus Audio Slo which gives a subtle octave down and a small amount of vibrato on the dark mode.

The signal then travels through the sub-n-up. I use that to create bass lines on my loops. Dry and 1-up are rarely used even though this picture shows them having some effect. I believe I took it in May.

I am moving the mini-pedal over to my electric pedalboard once the fullsize variant arrives.

As far as power supply considerations, I am using a 2005 or 2006 PP2+ which has powered my RC-50 for 17 years. I can see myself moving to a PP3+ because of the higher mA being delivered enough to feed the RC-50. It would also use the same power cable I employ now.

A majority of my acoustics are ending up with the Rare Earth mic-blend pickups which allow me to bring some sonic texture to the song, specifically with percussive taps on the body, shaker, chime, etc.
2000 Walnut/Purpleheart/Bol RW "Les Paul"
98 Larrivée C-05 sitka/mahogany florentine.
95 Breedlove SC Cedar/EIRW
Bedell TBCE-18-G

Daedalus Audio C81
Rane AP13
Genz Benz Shenandoah 100
Fishman Loudbox 100 & Acoustic Performer Pro
Boss RC-50
Old 09-07-2023, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehauler View Post

Thanks in advance!
Stonehauler

Reverb, Delay, Octave, Shimmer, maybe a compressor in addition to what I have.
Thanks all.
Chorus, particularly stereo if your amplification suits it, is a really nice effect to use with acoustic guitar.

I've seen Richard Thompsom perform solo acoustic several times and he adds a slight bit of distortion to that big 'ol Lowden that really fits his playing style well.
Old 09-07-2023, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Chorus, particularly stereo if your amplification suits it, is a really nice effect to use with acoustic guitar.

I've seen Richard Thompsom perform solo acoustic several times and he adds a slight bit of distortion to that big 'ol Lowden that really fits his playing style well.
Thanks, Added to the list
2022 Guild F512E - Maple
Old 09-07-2023, 09:28 PM

I just started putting together an acoustic pedalboard. I'm planning on an Empress Compressor into a Grace Felix, then a Strymon Deco, a Source Audio Ventris, and a Strymon Cloudburst in the effects loop, with a midi controller. I plan on using the Cloudburst subtly, so don't judge me too much. The last of my pedals came in today, so I need to find time to see how it all sounds together. And I still have to get the actual pedalboard. One thing at a time.

So far I've tried the Empress and the Deco, and they're both awesome. The compressor is nicely transparent, even when it's working hard, and it just sounds great. The Deco is killer. I think it'll be great for doubling, chorus, and drive, all in one pedal. I'm planning on that pedal doing some heavy lifting for me, so I hope it works out.

The Cloudburst is cool, and while not quite a one trick pony, it doesn't tick a lot of boxes for me. And I don't love the sound if the ambience that it's known for is cranked up too much. But it might be fun, who knows.

I bought the bigger Fender power supply, mostly because it had enough outputs to run everything I need to without adding a second supply. I haven't tried it yet though.
Old 10-21-2023, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

I have played with so many permutations of floor preamps and pedals in my journey, which ever changes. I’ve had Baggs Para DIs, Red Eyes, Zooms, Fishman, and assorted pedals.

Right now my guitars with pickups are a few ES2 Taylors, a few K&K dreads, and a whatever system is in the Art and Lutherie Legacy Havana.

Typically, the Red Eye is my go to pedal, as I can get get a good sound out of nearly all my guitars with it, except when I solo. The boost amps it up, but is sounds plinky, which may be a shortcoming in my playing skill

This morning I started playing with a bunch of electric pedals I have, and I think I put together a great acoustic board where I can get a nice sound out of all my guitars, and a nice solo sound as well.

Boss TU-3 ==> EQ ==> Delay ==> Reverb ==> Red Eye

I’d thought I’d share that here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2696.jpg (69.8 KB, 125 views)
Old 10-21-2023, 07:49 AM

I have the baggs align reverb pedal and also have a canyon delay pedal on my board. Otherwise, just my looper pedal
Old 10-21-2023, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

I used to have a fairly big pedal board but came to realize it was not necessary. I can tweak all my tonal needs with whatever amp I'm using. These days the only thing on the floor is an Annalog foot beat pedal for adding some percussive thump to my songs. As the only guitar player in an acoustic duo with two vocalists, I find adding some foot percussion invaluable since a lot of my guitar playing tends to happen on the upbeats. That bass drum thump on the one and the three is very helpful in making the music flow better on some songs. I certainly do not miss carrying around a pedal board and dealing with all those wires. These days we're all about the less-is-more and KISS approach to gigging.
Old 10-22-2023, 03:40 PM

There is a great Facebook group called "Acoustic Guitar Pedalboards".

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
acoustic, pedalboard, pedalboard setup