The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-15-2024, 03:40 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

As great as Tiger has been, there will still be the 'what if' tied to his legacy...

His 'double life' implosion took a HUGE toll on him... personally, and professionally. What I find interesting, on this side of all of the drama, is how others describe Tiger now. Apparently, he is more personable, approachable, friendly, and just in general, seemingly a better person.

At his peak, he was described as aloof and unapproachable. He was intimidating... not just from his play on the course, but how he approached to the game and the other players. He was not very well liked.

He's already cemented his legacy. He's already set financially. I truly hope that he's able to get healthy again and can return to playing at a high level... if that's what he wants to do. If he doesn't want to put himself through that anymore, that's okay, too. Striving to be the best at anything takes 100% focus and commitment, and requires a lot of sacrifice from yourself and others. Maybe he's at a point where it's more important to be happy, lead a balanced life, and just enjoy swinging the clubs.

Either way, I suspect he'll be part of the professional golf landscape for the rest of his life, in one way or another.
Old 04-15-2024, 04:22 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Does anybody think he will play the senior tour at 50?
He talked about that a few times in the past and it was pretty clear the answer then was no.

Old 04-15-2024, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
...I REALLY hate to see the end of this era, but I don't believe he's the kind of athlete that wants to go out and shoot 15 over just so the patrons can watch him play...
Unfortunately, I believe Mr. Woods' "era" ended some time ago. I also believe it's as painful for him to be seen playing the way he has been playing, as it is for us golf nuts/Tiger watchers. Something is keeping him continuing to enter tournaments that few believe he could win. It certainly could be his income from NIL. That income is certainly far more than prize money.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

He sure looked old and creaky in that fourth round. I wouldn't be surprised if he hung it up, at least at the Masters. He just set the all-time record for most cuts made in a row.

"Time and chance happeneth to us all."

sm
Old 04-19-2024, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Does anybody think he will play the senior tour at 50?
Jack Nicklaus thinks he will.
Mostly because he loves golf, loves to compete and win, and most importantly for him now, won't have to walk any of the courses.
I think that's his main issue now. Most pros, off the record, probably are of the opinion that he can't win anymore on the regular tour, but not because he can't hit the shots. He's proven he can still do that. What he can't do is get through 4 days of hitting shots while negotiating miles of walking on hilly terrain. Augusta is especially demanding in this regard. Just walking it would be difficult. And he has to spend hours just getting his body ready for it on the days he plays. It's hard to appreciate what he likely has to go through just to show up in reasonable shape. But he still loves the challenge of competition. Hard to believe he's eyeing Valhalla and Pinehurst. He probably figures the heat will be his friend.
But on the Senior Tour, he gets to ride. I think that will make a huge difference, and I look for him to play. And win again.
Hope so anyway. Generational talents like him don't come along too often. It's been a privilege to watch him compete all these years, including his US Amateur performances. Those were incredible comeback wins. He was blessed with unbelievable physical skills yes, but it's what's between the ears that won him a lot of tournaments. That, and the flatstick.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic