The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-08-2024, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
It amazes me how judgmental some people are about others whom they may not have ever met. It would be nice if we have a discussion about market forces, prices, etc. without casting aspersions.
Yeah, I agree. And that goes the other way, too, with the "if you're complaining about the price of a guitar, then it's ONLY because you can't afford it" comments. I guess it has nothing to do with taste and personal value? Judgement cast on a lot of people you know nothing about. (Not you, sinistral, only those who make such comments.)
Old 05-08-2024, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
Here y’a go: https://reverb.com/item/79190866-gib...ntent=79190866

That’s just one. There are others with higher asking prices.

I saw a 64 LG-0 in similar condition sell for 700 at guitar center.
Yes, that is an absolutely silly price for a guitar that no collector wants and very few players would want either. It's neither collectable or terribly good sounding. It's also in rough shape. It's never going to sell for anything close to that price. That said, it's easy to just scroll right by and never look at it again.
Old 05-08-2024, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
It amazes me how judgmental some people are about others whom they may not have ever met. It would be nice if we have a discussion about market forces, prices, etc. without casting aspersions.
It would be nice to make a statement and then be attacked for "casting aspersions" by someone who has actually "never met" me.

I made my statement (and stand by it) based upon the hundreds and hundreds of rich people I've dealt with both personally and professionally for the past half century or so. You don't have to like what I said but I stand by it as not "casting aspersions" but rather a small part of a factual statement. Seems like if someone takes that personally then it may have just hit too close to home. Didn't mean to do that either.
Old 05-08-2024, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Here y’a go: https://reverb.com/item/79190866-gib...ntent=79190866

That’s just one. There are others with higher asking prices.

I saw a 64 LG-0 in similar condition sell for 700 at guitar center.
Thanks; sadly, I know little to nothing about Gibsons, so will leave the comments to others.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 05-08-2024, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRon View Post
It’s not just vintage Gibson and Martin guitars. The classifieds here usually have several used guitars priced within a few hundred dollars of brand new. As a buyer I will buy new every time over used at inflated prices.
Agree!

And it’s not just here.
Old 05-08-2024, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post
It would be nice to make a statement and then be attacked for "casting aspersions" by someone who has actually "never met" me.

I made my statement (and stand by it) based upon the hundreds and hundreds of rich people I've dealt with both personally and professionally for the past half century or so. You don't have to like what I said but I stand by it as not "casting aspersions" but rather a small part of a factual statement. Seems like if someone takes that personally then it may have just hit too close to home. Didn't mean to do that either.
I didn’t take the your comment personally, so it’s not a question of it hitting close to home for me, at all. I don’t have a yacht, or a private jet, or a Lamborghini. Granted, I’ll sometimes fly coach plus for the extra legroom, but my 2007 car is probably worth less than an HD-28, so I wouldn’t put myself in the category of folks who you were critical of in your earlier post:

Quote:
While I agree that people can price things however they want I have to say I do NOT "admire" yachts, private jets or Lambos. I know what kind of person it takes to get these things and how they could have spent so much less and made the lives of other people so much better with the excess funds (yes, I know some folks are charitable and still spend big bucks but such an ostentatious display of spending has never impressed me).
I don’t “admire” yachts, private jets or Lamboughinis, either. But I don’t think negatively of people who own them, either. The people I know who have those things are almost all very civic minded and philanthropic, regardless whether they inherited the waealth, or the wealth was self-made.

Starting a sentence with a generalization like “I know what kind of person it takes to get those things…” and the phrase “ostentatious display of spending” came across, to me, as “criticizing (someone or someone's actions or character) harshly or unfairly” (the definition of “casting aspersions”). The hundreds of wealthy people that you have met—who apparently are all of a type—are not necessarily representative of weatlty people as a whole.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

I've never been bothered by what other other people do with their money. Seems like a frustrating way to go through life.

Last edited by Bowie; 05-08-2024 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:56 PM

Quote:
While I agree that people can price things however they want I have to say I do NOT "admire" yachts, private jets or Lambos. I know what kind of person it takes to get these things and how they could have spent so much less and made the lives of other people so much better with the excess funds (yes, I know some folks are charitable and still spend big bucks but such an ostentatious display of spending has never impressed me).
Same. I think it might’ve been my parochial grade school education.

AMI-Guitars Left Handed DMC-1STEL 1

Recording King Dirty 30s Series 7 Parlor
Old 05-09-2024, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsehockey View Post
Same. I think it might’ve been my parochial grade school education.
Thank you for being another voice of reason in this thread.
Old 05-09-2024, 10:41 AM

Quote:

What gives?
a factor might be that people overestimate the value of their stuff, especially if whoever is looking has vintage gear or custom guitars and it isn't your first rodeo so you know when something is overpriced.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion