The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-04-2024, 01:47 PM

Over the years, I have tried everything mentioned above, without any long term success, so I gave up, use fingertips, and accepted it. I believe the only folks who can maintain effective fingernails for playing the guitar don't do much else with their hands.

In my case, I do work around the house, in the garden, in my workshop, fixing my Ham radio equipment, and air guns, and on and on. You get the picture. There's no way I know for me to preserve my fingernails unless I become a couch potato.
Old 05-05-2024, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcuttler View Post
I believe the only folks who can maintain effective fingernails for playing the guitar don't do much else with their hands.
Eh, not true. I am working in the yard daily, building things, woodworking, I fix everything around the house myself, I box for exercise, and build audio gear. I have great guitar playing nails, though once in a while one might chip while handling concrete blocks. I have never broken a nail while playing, not even steel string acoustics. For me, genetics and diet are the two reasons my nails are great. If I don't take supplements, my nails are still decent but not perfect. I think genetics are the main contributor as to why some have strong nails and others don't.
Old 05-05-2024, 06:37 PM

I would add two things:

The originator of the 'butterfly' pick design has instructions on his site for making them yourself since he stopped making them. He says the ones sold under that name now are not the same. The rave reviews about them that I've seen were for the originals.

There are people on Youtube who say Alaska Piks plastic took a long time to get used to but they work. Maybe hit them up in the comments on their videos.
Old 05-06-2024, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
I would add two things:

The originator of the 'butterfly' pick design has instructions on his site for making them yourself since he stopped making them. He says the ones sold under that name now are not the same. The rave reviews about them that I've seen were for the originals.

There are people on Youtube who say Alaska Piks plastic took a long time to get used to but they work. Maybe hit them up in the comments on their videos.
Thanks! I'll check those all out.
Rainsong Flamenco Nylon (SN#120)
Composite Acoustics 5iM-CE (GXi)
Cordoba Stage
Enya NexG 2, Mountain Guitar, Luna Tribal

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical