The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 02-29-2012, 11:30 AM
I know that one

Default Short Scale Bass

Can anyone recommend a good, inexpensive, short-scale bass? My daughter would like to learn to play and given her diminutive size I thought a short-scale would work well for her. My long scale 5 string is definitely too much for her smaller hands. I checked all the big-box stores but haven't had a chance to play any. If you guys have had good experiences with a particular bass let ms know.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:48 AM

Wally,

I can heartily, and strongly, endorse the Kala UBass as a natural for anyone looking for a short-scale bass. Despite their diminutive size (20.5" scale and baritone uke body), these are definitely NOT toys. Plug one in and they're as good as it gets...get one of the acoustic (not solid) body ones and she could even practice without having to plug in.

I bought the acoustic all-solid-mahogany model, over the solid spruce, mahogany-laminate model, for the real hipshot tuners and the solid case. The fact that it's all solid wood is a nice bonus but acoustically it probably matters little, if at all. Nonetheless, it's a lovely instrument, tuned as any typical EADG 4-string bass.

If you decide to go this route (and I personally can't see any reason why you wouldn't), be prepared that it will take a week or two for the special "rubber" strings to stretch out...mine finally stabilized after almost two weeks (and having to reset the A twice and the D once)...and note that, if she has any previous bass experience, the strings are different enough to take some getting used to (so it's said -- I had no problems at all).

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:00 PM

I think that some of the danelctro basses are short scale. My wife played a blue Dano Rumor bass for a few years before moving on to her 5-string washburn XB-125, which also has a skinnier neck. She doesn't have a difficult time reaching.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:08 PM

Sqire have Bronco : http://www.fender.com/products/searc...tno=0310902506
Old 02-29-2012, 12:08 PM

Depending on exactly what you're looking for..

the UBass is great. I think you would even think playing it is just a kick in the pants.

If you are looking for a 'real' bass, you might look at the Epiphone Allen Woody model. it is a short scale, 30 in.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 03-01-2012, 11:18 AM

The U-Bass is a novelty instrument, and not one I'd recommend for a beginning bassist. Just goes to show that people recommend whatever they own, regardless of its applicability ... keep this in mind when looking for recommendations. Here are some suggestions from the major manufacturers:

Epiphone - EB-0, Allen Woody
Gibson - EB-0, LP Junior DC
Ibanez - Artcore AFB200
Fender - Mustang
Squier - Mustang
Old 03-01-2012, 11:36 AM
I know that one

The Ubass is way cool - I'll have to check the local Sam Ash to see if they have one in stock. Thanks for the recommendation. Thanks to RustyAxe certainly won't buy one without trying it first.

Last edited by Wally; 03-01-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:50 PM

You might search out an Ampeg AMB-1, a short scale bass made for a few years about ten years ago. Based on the Dan Armstrong model, with a basswood body instead of plexiglas. Light in weight, excellent build quality (Japanese). I liked mine so much that I bought one for my daughter.

My previous bass was an Epiphone EB-O, which I found heavy and unbalanced; neck wanted to dive. Not an ideal instrument for a beginner, IMO.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
The U-Bass is a novelty instrument, and not one I'd recommend for a beginning bassist.
I beg to differ...in no way, shape or form is the UBass a "novelty". Is it the best thing for a serious bass student? Maybe not. Is it your cup of tea? Obviously not. But that doesn't mean it's a novelty or any kind of toy.

Yes, it's a really short scale (but better than an Ashbory by a good country mile) but that does not mean that it's a toy. Sure, the acoustic baritone ukulele body is just about useless for anything other than personal practice, but if that doesn't float your boat, then check out the solid body versions.

I urge anyone who is intrigued to check them out...check out the many Youtube (or should that be UTube?) videos. Play one...PLUG IT IN and crank it up. People need to get past their expectations. The UBass is no more a novelty than a ukulele is a "novelty" guitar...

Phil

Last edited by philjs; 03-01-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:42 PM

Bronco or Musicmaster bass
Old 03-01-2012, 06:01 PM

I think about buying a short-scale bass guitar from time to time for recording purposes and I like the Gibson/Epiphone models. While I've tried the German made Hofner bass guitars and found them suitable, I haven't tried the cheaper Asian-made versions. You can see the various Hofner models here:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/New-Gear...rc=Hofner+bass
Old 03-01-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
I beg to differ...in no way, shape or form is the UBass a "novelty". Is it the best thing for a serious bass student? Maybe not. Is it your cup of tea? Obviously not. But that doesn't mean it's a novelty or any kind of toy.
Sorry to ruffle your feathers, but a ukelele sized bass with licorice strings, is, by any definition, a novelty. I've played one, sounded pretty good. But c'mon, for a new bass student? Really?

Quote:
The UBass is no more a novelty than a ukulele is a "novelty" guitar...
A ukelele is not any kind of guitar. It's a ukelele.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:04 PM

Ditto what Denny said...
Old 03-01-2012, 09:29 PM

My wife plays a Fender Mustang bass. Small hands, and she loves it.

2003 Taylor 814cES
2000 Taylor K14c
2011 James Tyler Variax JTV-69, Lake Placid Blue
JR Beck SHC-908 (ES 135 copy)
Crate Powerblock and JDesign custom cabinet

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/stevefeinstein,
The Tim and Bob Show buy our CD at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/timandbob
http://www.feintuned.com
Old 03-02-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Sorry to ruffle your feathers, but a ukelele sized bass with licorice strings, is, by any definition, a novelty. I've played one, sounded pretty good. But c'mon, for a new bass student? Really?
No feathers ruffled here. Wally (the OP) asked for a bass that would suit his "diminutive" daughter...maybe she's a "bass student" but maybe not. I offered my opinion, you unequivocally shot my opinion down, from the hip (which is really interesting given your signature line...a case of "do what I say not what I do"?).

Wally, I LIKE my UBass. I've only had it for a few weeks and have no connection whatsover with the manufacturer. All I can tell you is that it plays well and easily, especially for anyone with small-ish hands (me, and by your description, your daughter), and it's fun to play to boot. I do hope that being fun to play isn't a novel concept. It sounds great plugged in (and despite contrary opinion I'd put it up against just about anything in a BLIND (ie. no preconceptions, a nice way to say prejudiced) test) and, run through a nice tube mic pre, it records wonderfully.

That's why I bought mine and I realized an additional benefit this morning...I can record my own basslines without having to hire an opinionated bassist

Phil

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments