The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-12-2013, 03:01 PM
Guest 33123

Just curious but which song are you refering to, Bill? So many great songs posted in this thread.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Just curious but which song are you refering to, Bill? So many great songs posted in this thread.
It was Ragtime Annie. I'm going to post a Have to Know bluegrass tune list thread when I finish every breath you take. So much to learn and so little time!
Ibanez S5470
Ignacio M Rozas Classic Spanish guitar
Alverez Yairi Classical Electric
Taylor 516ce spruce top
Roland Electric Keyboard
Yamaha Bass
www.soundclick.com/bayoubill
Old 05-12-2013, 05:57 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by delb0y View Post
Day 36 - four days to go...

Spent an hour in the garage whilst everyone else was sleeping in this morning. This is where I'm at so far.

Getting there, I feel!
Absolutely wonderful Del. I love it. Very natural and flowing.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:21 AM
Guest 33123

Days 36-37: Mostly took Saturday off. I was feeling totally burnt out and I needed to spend some time with my wife. I just practiced my new song for a half hour and then listened the next song I'm going to learn a few times on Stefan Grossman's DVD Ragtime Blues Guitar. So about a half hour+ focused on guitar Saturday which I don't think is half bad. Last night was a struggle. Some of my repertorie was falling apart again (different songs this time!) but I kept at it and worked though the problem areas. Nobody said playing guitar is easy right? So good overall.

I think for my next practice challenge (who wants to join in?!) I'm going to practice for 5 weeks of 6 days a week. I'll also set a goal of recording five songs and learn another fingerpicking piece. I'll start a new thread when I'm ready to tackle the next challenge!

After two practice challenges now (one 30 day and one 40 day) I've learned that I need a night off a week to avoid burn out and to spend some time with my wife. 40 days straight of 2 hours a day is just too much for me. I'm just not a kid anymore.

Only three days left! I'm impressed with you guys for hanging in there!

Last edited by Guest 33123; 05-13-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:37 PM

Thanks for the kind comments, guys!

Day 38 today - my birthday (big five-oh) and it's been a bit crazy. Managed to play through Annie a half a dozen times and make mistakes every one of them. Sigh. Still my mind wasn't really on it.

Two days to go...

My acoustics:
  • Tanglewood TW-60
  • Manouche 'Moreno' Modele Jazz
  • 2006 Martin 000-15
  • Tanglewood TW-40
  • Furch D32-SM
  • Michael Messer Lightning
Old 05-13-2013, 05:23 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
today - my birthday (big five-oh)
Happy birthday! I had the big 40 last year and I'm still not over it.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Thanks for the kind comments, guys!

Day 38 today - my birthday (big five-oh) and it's been a bit crazy. Managed to play through Annie a half a dozen times and make mistakes every one of them. Sigh. Still my mind wasn't really on it.

Two days to go...
Happy Birthday. Keep going... on both the guitar and life.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:15 AM
Guest 33123

Day 38: Didn't practice at all! My wife and I both fell asleep with the kids so I woke up at 12:30 am. There was no way in heck I can practice for 12:30 to 2:30 am on a workday the way I've been feeling these days. I'm already burnt out enough.

So have I met my goals so far?
35 days of 2 hours of practice, 2 days of a 1/2 hour practice and one day of no practice.
5 songs recorded.
1 new fingerpicking piece learned.

So it looks like my practice challenge is going to be a bit of failure here at the end. I should have known I wasn't going to be able to sustain 40 days of 2 hours a day in a row. That said I've met my other goals and I've definitely learned some things about my stamina during this practice challenge.

Tonight: I can definitely practice tonight but I'm not sure about Wed. I need to pack for FPR and I don't get home until 7ish. Maybe I can fit one in if I'm lucky.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 05-14-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:26 AM

Doesn't sound like a failure to me! Your recordings came out very well and the amount of practice you've done is incredible. So don't be too hard on yourself for missing just a couple of days. If anything's was a failure it was simply setting goals that were too hard. Better to give yourself some leeway next time if you're going to feel like this achievement is a failure rather than a stunning success!

This is my last but one day - hopefully get a final recording/video done tomorrow or soon after. Only problem is yesterday and today I can't seem to get through Annie for love nor money

Derek

My acoustics:
  • Tanglewood TW-60
  • 2006 Martin 000-15
  • Tanglewood TW-40
  • Furch D32-SM
Old 05-14-2013, 10:59 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Doesn't sound like a failure to me! Your recordings came out very well and the amount of practice you've done is incredible. So don't be too hard on yourself for missing just a couple of days. If anything's was a failure it was simply setting goals that were too hard. Better to give yourself some leeway next time if you're going to feel like this achievement is a failure rather than a stunning success!

This is my last but one day - hopefully get a final recording/video done tomorrow or soon after. Only problem is yesterday and today I can't seem to get through Annie for love nor money

Derek
Thanks for the encouragement Derek! I've definitely learned this go around that I need a night off a week for the next practice challenge (and yes, there will be another one!). I think the goal will be more achievable for me that way.

Can't wait to hear your final version of Ragtime Annie. Sounds REALLY good so far.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:03 PM

I've loosely followed this thread from the beginning, and was intrigued by the idea... even thought about jumping on board. I'm sure there hasn't been a day in the last 40 that I didn't play the guitar, but there have been those that certainly didn't count as practice.
Anyway, I'm on somewhat of a guitar island where I live, and I'm annoying the heck out of everyone that I encounter, by rattling at them endlessly about my favorite pastime. It occurs to me that I might benefit from tossing my hat in the practice challenge ring, the next time this comes up. So, I'll be watching for the next similar thread, and I'm in.

Awesome effort everyone!
Old 05-15-2013, 09:09 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverZ View Post
Awesome effort everyone!
Thanks DriverZ. Happy to have you on board for our next practice challenge!

Day 39: Quite a good practice. Repertorie went well but my latest song was a train wreck. It took me about a half hour to play it once through correctly.

Tonight: not sure if I'll be able to practice. I'll be packing so we'll see.

If I don't check in tonight: congratulations everyone and thank you to everyone who sent encouragement our way during the practice challenge!
Old 05-15-2013, 02:30 PM

Day 40...

Couldn't manage to get a take at full speed but I cut back a few BPMs and this is the finished result. Never want to hear or play this song again!

http://youtu.be/pJFcZL1dh2g

Thanks for all the support, it's been fun. Back to normal now...which is, uh, practicing every day!

Cheers
Derek

My acoustics:
  • Tanglewood TW-60
  • 2006 Martin 000-15
  • Tanglewood TW-40
  • Furch D32-SM
Old 05-15-2013, 10:09 PM
Guest 33123

Day 40! Phew, can't believe I got here. Some happy and sad feelings that the practice challenge is over. Great practice tonight though, not perfect but when is it ever? New song is still a struggle.

So to recap. 40 days ago my goals were to:
- practice 2 hours a day 40 days in a row (only exception is if me or the family are too sick)
- record 5 songs
- learn one new fingerpicking piece

In the end I achieved:
- 37 days of 2 hours of practice, 2 days of a 1/2 hour practice and one day of no practice.
- 5 songs recorded.
- 1 new fingerpicking piece learned.

Not bad I guess. At least I tried hard!

Thank you to all who joined in and thank you for all of your encouragement. I couldn't have done it without you. Practice challenge number two coming soon!
Old 05-17-2013, 01:37 PM

Does this mean this thread is over? I like the idea of setting a goal date! thanks!!!
Ibanez S5470
Ignacio M Rozas Classic Spanish guitar
Alverez Yairi Classical Electric
Taylor 516ce spruce top
Roland Electric Keyboard
Yamaha Bass
www.soundclick.com/bayoubill

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write