The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-31-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmtri View Post
Dude, just get a Pedaltrain - you can do whatever you want with your pedals!
MM
I have one of those coming too - the 32" version...I may end up using that or the puma depending on how they shape up. I like the look of the puma better and may need to put a number of holes in the top to get it clean enough to my liking

Last edited by 690MBCOMMANDO; 05-31-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:23 PM

Wow, just wow. I love the white with gold, reminds me of my MK strat. I've never seen a PRS like that but that is not a guitar for mere mortals. I wish you would have started with a crappier rig so you can appreciate how ridiculously awesome yours will sound.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

There are certain iconic guitars, (by style and tone, if not by brand), that everyone should have unless you are so certain you will never use a particular tone. You need a Strat, a Tele, a Les Paul and a Gretsch as far as I'm concerned.

Sometimes it's fun to crank my Strat or my Tele and then see where I can find the same tone on my T5... Maybe one of these days, I'll convince myself I don't need more than a T5.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazymonday View Post
Wow, just wow. I love the white with gold, reminds me of my MK strat. I've never seen a PRS like that but that is not a guitar for mere mortals. I wish you would have started with a crappier rig so you can appreciate how ridiculously awesome yours will sound.
Thank you!

Well my Anderson is head and shoulders better than my 40th Anniversary U.S. Strat as well as my T5. And the Goodsell is better than my Mesa Lone Star Special and way better than my Fender Princeton Recording amp. And my pedals are definately better (and easier to use) than my GT-8.

When you add it all up the tone I'm getting out of this rig is simply breathtaking and very inspiring to me musically.

Over the years I've tried many uninspiring things at GC but never the boutiques (although I always wanted a PRS, of which GC stocks). Clearly this is really nice and I just could never get jazzed about most of the stuff I've played.

Now I can and thanks for everyone's help!
Old 06-01-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690MBCOMMANDO View Post
Thanks Aki. I was thinking about doing a top row of holes as well as a row of holes in the middle of the board above the fron row of pedals.

The main thing I wasn't sure about was what to do with the 20 cables coming in and out of the musicomlab. That's going to need 4-5 holes all by itself.

What were you planning to do with that?
I was thinking of having maybe 2-3 slots across the entire width of the board where I'd route the cabling similar to what I have on my PedalTrain except the slots would be around 3/4" or 1" wide. Usually, I'll route almost all the cable under the board and tie them off with small black zip ties. Since my cable (Bill Lawrence) is solderless I can cut them to whatever length I need to make a clean board. If I were to do it again, I'd use Lava ELC. A luthier friend of mine really digs the stuff and the ends are much more compact than most others.
• Omega Legacy MJ02 (#116) in Birdseye Maple & Bearclaw Sitka
• Tom Anderson Cobra in Flame Maple on Mahogany
Old 06-04-2009, 10:16 AM

Ok in anticipation for my Pumabaord, which should arrive in a couple weeks, I'm starting to think about the order of my pedals. Here's what I have - what do you think?

1) Keeley Compressor
2) Fulltone Fatboost 3
3) Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET (used for clean OD)
4) Fulltone OCD (Mid-Clean OD)
5) Paul Cochrane Tim (Mid OD)
6) Keeley/Boss BD-2 Phat Mod (Dirty OD)
7) TC Electronics Stereo Chorus Flanger
8) Boss DD-20 Delay

There's a separate tuner out of the Musicomlab so I'll just throw my TU-2 into there.

I ended up ditching the Ernie Ball VP since I'll just use my volume knob and more importantly it wont fit on the board!
Old 06-04-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Ok in anticipation for my Pumabaord, which should arrive in a couple weeks, I'm starting to think about the order of my pedals. Here's what I have - what do you think?

1) Keeley Compressor
2) Fulltone Fatboost 3
3) Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET (used for clean OD)
4) Fulltone OCD (Mid-Clean OD)
5) Paul Cochrane Tim (Mid OD)
6) Keeley/Boss BD-2 Phat Mod (Dirty OD)
7) TC Electronics Stereo Chorus Flanger
8) Boss DD-20 Delay

There's a separate tuner out of the Musicomlab so I'll just throw my TU-2 into there.

I ended up ditching the Ernie Ball VP since I'll just use my volume knob and more importantly it wont fit on the board!
FWIW, here's how I would/do run the pedals mentioned:

Keeley Comp.
Fulltone Fat Boost 3
Keeley BD-2 (Low Gain/Mid Gain)
Tim (Mid Gain)
Fulldrive 2 (Mid Gain)
Fulltone OCD (raunch-fest)
TC Stereo Flanger
DD-20

Obviously, once you have them, do what sounds best to you. I like the mid-level drive of the Fulldrive 2, and the higher level drive of the OCD. But I certainly like the low gain of the OCD as well. The Tim sounds phenomenal in low and mid gain applications. I think it has a better boost than the FD2, as well.

Sounds like you've got a great setup going! Congrats!
Old 06-04-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zb0430 View Post
+1

Seriously though I heard that many people suggest running OD pedals in order of cleaner to dirtier. Thoughts on this?
Old 06-04-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
+1

Seriously though I heard that many people suggest running OD pedals in order of cleaner to dirtier. Thoughts on this?
There are two reasons I like to do this:

1.) Simple organization. I like to know if I step on the next pedal up, I get more gain. It may seem silly, until you're fumbling around with pedals in an unplanned reprise of free-flowing musicianship.

2.) Stacking overdrives. You can achieve some really cool textures this way, especially for sustains and volume swells. I love stacking the low gain BD-2 into the high gain OCD for an interesting sort of sound with a volume swell and sweeping delay.

I'd also still consider a volume pedal. Here's the thought on that:

With a volume pedal BEFORE your drives, you've got essentially the same thing that you can do with guitar volume. You change a gain stage. With a pedal AFTER the drives, your amount of drive stays constant, and you can swell in the volume with THAT amount of drive, simply with a volume increase.

If you don't need that, then a volume pedal is just another tone sucker, so by all means learn to do without it!
Old 06-05-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
FWIW, here's how I would/do run the pedals mentioned:

Keeley Comp.
Fulltone Fat Boost 3
Keeley BD-2 (Low Gain/Mid Gain)
Tim (Mid Gain)
Fulldrive 2 (Mid Gain)
TC Stereo Flanger
DD-20

Obviously, once you have them, do what sounds best to you. I like the mid-level drive of the Fulldrive 2, and the higher level drive of the OCD. But I certainly like the low gain of the OCD as well. The Tim sounds phenomenal in low and mid gain applications. I think it has a better boost than the FD2, as well.

Sounds like you've got a great setup going! Congrats!
+1 on this order. The OCD is more of a higher gain pedal and the BD-2 is more a mid gain thing. Stacking OD's gives you a whole new range of tones.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I'd also still consider a volume pedal. Here's the thought on that:

With a volume pedal BEFORE your drives, you've got essentially the same thing that you can do with guitar volume. You change a gain stage. With a pedal AFTER the drives, your amount of drive stays constant, and you can swell in the volume with THAT amount of drive, simply with a volume increase.

If you don't need that, then a volume pedal is just another tone sucker, so by all means learn to do without it!
The Musicom has a loop in between the first 4 loops for the volume pedal. That's where I use mine. If I want to control gain, I use the volume knob on my guitar. For volume control I use the EB VP Jr.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:39 PM

Thanks for the insight on the pedal order. Will give it a whirl!
Old 06-06-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Can you post pix of the case? Thanks!
Sorry this is late. Here are the pics of the Studio Slips clamshell gig bag made for the Goodsell Super 17mkIII sized cab. FWIW, I think it would go nicely with your tan cab. Sorry Commando, just sold the case...

Last edited by akivisuals; 06-08-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:38 PM

Fulltone Catalyst needs to be on your list there. It is an amazing pedal that I just bought.
1979 Yamaha L-5A
Old 06-07-2009, 11:47 PM

I have a pedaltrain pro coming as well. I'm going to play around with my pedals on that and then when I have it really zeroed in I'll put them on my puma (which I will likely drill into the replaceable top).

Also got a Voodooman Mini switcher for my DD-20.

Heard some really good things about the Boss RV-5. Any thoughts?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification