The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-04-2024, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post
Portable tire inflator. No more quarters, bad tire pressure gauges and racing around my car before the timer runs out.
I find it interesting that in New Jersey you can't pump your gas but have to pay for air. We're the opposite here in CT, can pump gas but stations can't charge for air! (I do have a decent small air compressor, though, so haven't used a station's air in a long time).
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 01-04-2024, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

I think my clip-on Polytune gets my vote for best gadget. If someone beat me to this I apologize, but I didn't spot it mentioned.
Old 01-04-2024, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad4d8 View Post
Comb binding machine. ... Mine is similar to this one, but not identical, was less than $10 at Goodwill. So far I've converted about 10 books, plus bound some downloaded music.
Wow, do they still make these, or did you find a used unit?

I've probably spent hours binding sheet music and reports with such machines in the labs where I worked (last one had a motorised unit that made really nice holes without effort). The only crucial thing to remember is to be patient and not try to perforate a thicker bundle of pages than what goes into the slot easily, and to take the next binder gauge up in case of any doubt.

Didn't even know what they were called but understood the name immediately!

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 01-04-2024, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post

I've probably spent hours binding sheet music and reports with such machines in the labs where I worked (last one had a motorised unit that made really nice holes without effort). The only crucial thing to remember is to be patient and not try to perforate a thicker bundle of pages than what goes into the slot easily, and to take the next binder gauge up in case of any doubt.

I just use a basic manual 3-hole punch + 3-ring binders. Easy peasy IMHO.
Old 01-04-2024, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post

Yes, quite a few available, but I got mine used at Goodwill for a lot less than a new one would cost. One of my classrooms had an electric one, but when the school closed it got assigned to a print shop teacher at another school, though I still had access. (I taught mostly computer based multimedia)
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 01-05-2024, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
I just use a basic manual 3-hole punch + 3-ring binders. Easy peasy IMHO.
In my experience those are more appropriate for archiving papers you don't consult very often because with only 3 holes pages will tear out too easily when you flip them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad4d8
Yes, quite a few available, but I got mine used at Goodwill for a lot less than a new one would cost.
I had a hunch that a name like that probably meant it's an organisation like Emmaus here (where I just handed off a nice Philips-Saeco expresso machine that I was just not using anymore).
Binding tip: I used overhead projector sheets as front and back covers which add discrete protection and a tiny bit more of rigidity to the bound bundle.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 01-05-2024, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I find it interesting that in New Jersey you can't pump your gas but have to pay for air. We're the opposite here in CT, can pump gas but stations can't charge for air! (I do have a decent small air compressor, though, so haven't used a station's air in a long time).
Many people here in NJ have a hard enough time following the driving laws, never mind having to have the common sense to pump gas without blowing themselves up.

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 01-06-2024, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
My step-kids were raised in Oregon and never had/got to pump their own gas. Funny, when my daughter transferred to UW in Seattle to finish off her Master's degree, I had to show her how to operate a pump over in Washington.

She would often drive home to spend weekends with us and do a couple loads of laundry, a 3-4 hour drive depending on traffic. One such Friday afternoon she arrived to announce "I have a low tire-pressure light." I asked her when she noticed it. "Yesterday."

Doh!!!

Very well employed now and earning as much as I ever did before I retired, she could still use a quick refresher on Handheld Pressure Gauge 101, lol. I keep one in every car.

Last edited by tinnitus; 01-09-2024 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-09-2024, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post

Nice gadget

This one opens up lots of "gadgeting" options
https://youtu.be/HGBty-30qgo?si=HGjkqErpqZhbnCM5

(c) Sage of Emporia

Last edited by Gress; 01-09-2024 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-09-2024, 09:05 PM

MEC 600 jr. shotshell reloader. You can't save as much per shell now as you could in olden days, but you can still shoot much more economically than you can if you are buying target loads at the store. I got that machine when I was 18, I'm 66 now, and it has flawlessly loaded thousands of shells.
Old 01-09-2024, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu View Post
MEC 600 jr. shotshell reloader. You can't save as much per shell now as you could in olden days, but you can still shoot much more economically than you can if you are buying target loads at the store. I got that machine when I was 18, I'm 66 now, and it has flawlessly loaded thousands of shells.
Hand loaded shells perform the way you want them to. Sorta like setting up your guitar and knowing what strings you like best. Even if you just break even cost-wise, there's a huge degree of knowing-satisfaction when you "roll yer own."

Last edited by tinnitus; 01-11-2024 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-09-2024, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu View Post

I am huge fan of .50GI and use my Hornady Lock-n-Load progressive to reload this otherwise quite rare and expensive caliber. I have the auto feeders (as extra gadgets ) and I use the press to make me 4 - 5 boxes quickly before my weekend range trips. So I am in thousands too

(c) Sage of Emporia

Last edited by Gress; 01-09-2024 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-10-2024, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

I'm pretty impressed with my new Worksharp blade sharpener. I worked over a big kitchen knife with it yesterday, razor sharp, and then just chuckled with glee as a big pineapple almost seemed to cut itself.

Old 01-10-2024, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
I'm pretty impressed with my new Worksharp blade sharpener. I worked over a big kitchen knife with it yesterday, razor sharp, and then just chuckled with glee as a big pineapple almost seemed to cut itself.

Thanks for sharing. Perhaps its time to replace my 40+y.o. belt sander

(c) Sage of Emporia
Old 01-11-2024, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post

I like my whetstone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic