The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-01-2015, 08:20 PM

If you were a guitar, you'd be highly sought after and a collectors item.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:45 PM

Location: Central Va, really, 4 miles from geographical center of the state

Well I turned 73 today and to tell you the truth,,,,,,I don't feel a day over
Old 03-01-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
If you were a guitar, you'd be highly sought after and a collectors item.
On the downside, someone might yank your neck off and reset your head at an improved angle!
Old 03-02-2015, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty70 View Post
Well I turned 73 today and to tell you the truth,,,,,,I don't feel a day over
happy B-Day man!
Old 03-02-2015, 05:58 AM

Knowing I could never afford my birth year Martin, and, if I could, I wouldn't dare play it for fear something might happen to it.

Knowing that for kids now in high school, World War II was longer ago than the Spanish-American war was for me when I was in high school.

Skiing (downhill) with my feet tight together and having people stare and ask, "Why is he doing that?"

Having drivers tailgate me, swearing at me for being too slow - which is poetic justice for all the years I tailgated others, swearing at them for being too slow.

Buying a Rainsong Shorty even though I have a Rainsong OM which has worked just fine for me for years, because my hands really need the short scale (less string tension) and the shorter reach to the first few frets.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
All the photos of you as a kid are black and white.
reminded me of a prank I played on all 3 of my kids when they each were young. I showed them the black n white pics of me as a child and said "we didn't have colors in the world yet when I was your age". The expressions on their faces was pure gold.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:58 AM

On a downer note, thinking about adopting a pet and having to consider if it will outlive you.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:51 AM

When I realized I lived longer than my older sister I felt old. I loved her more than I usually let on and waited too long before I told her. Regrets will make me feel old.

When I have the same afflictions as my father had I feel old. Back pain in my 20s, stress in my 40s, cancer in my 50s, and a general decrease in fitness in spite of my efforts otherwise.

Last March I shaved my beard off for the first time in decades, because I was ordered to by nursing staff prior to major surgery so that the mask would fit snugly over my nose and mouth. I was shocked at just how much I looked like my father at the same age. I loved the man but the resemblance creeps me out. I haven't been clean shaven since.

Tomorrow is my 57th birthday. Time to feel old or time to be glad I'm beating the odds?
Old 03-03-2015, 02:47 PM

Things that make me feel old:

Seeing pictures of myself from just 8-9 years ago. I've aged a lot in the past 8-9 years. My beard has gone from black to almost white, I have quite a bit of white hair.

While I'm enjoying the music I'm doing, I'm not looking forward to moving my drum set when we start playing gigs this summer. This wasn't an issue 10 years ago. Didn't even think about it then.

Watching my kids outgrow their toys.

I turned 40 this year, and I have more than just a couple of folks I graduated HS with who are grandparents.

I'm sure there are more, but life is definitely interesting
Old 03-03-2015, 02:53 PM

The curse of those of us who stay reasonably slim, keep their hair, and are blond(ish) is that while the exterior can look remarkably similar to the 30-year old version, closer inspection can reveal a dried prune lurking beneath the surface!
Old 03-03-2015, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Old Folks Boogie_Little Feat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4y4asj3sjM

I live a pretty healthy life. Am in pretty good shape for 61 yr old. Still working full-time as a university researcher/educator. Brain still works. But taking care of my 88 year old Mom tho - and lately taking on more and more - is a depressing preview of coming attractions. The multiple physical issues she's dealing with plus recurrent memory and judgment problems - clear signs of dementia - make me feel her oldness on a daily basis. But she took care of me so now it's my turn. I should say our turn. I'm grateful that me and my sisters each wear a different hat taking care of our Mom.

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 03-03-2015, 04:16 PM

Young people
Old 03-03-2015, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

I just turned 67. Normally, I don't feel particularly old; I'm in reasonably good shape for my age, and work out every day after work and I still work fulltime.

Recently, I have been doing some recordings in my studio, recording audio with good microphones to Cubase on the computer while I record HD video at the same time. As I put the video and audio programs together on the computer and see myself and watch myself play and sing in those videos, I realize, I look considerably older than I remembered feeling. I don't really look at myself very often in the course of a day, except to shave, and then I am concentrating on details, not the big picture.

Oh well... I will get used to it...

- Glenn
Old 03-03-2015, 04:56 PM

The change in my voice’s vibrato makes me feel old. Actually, it is more accurate for me to say that my vibrato of late sounds like it belongs to someone older than I feel. Maybe I should consider switching to tremolo.

Last edited by Herb Hunter; 03-04-2015 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:18 PM

Henry Winkler selling reverse mortgages.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic